2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum N20 Engine Abuse Limit

04-07-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
MatthewAguilera
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i

2014 528i N20 should be "abused" as in giving it some power when driving?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:11 AM   #2
BMWisFRIEND
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAguilera View Post
Hi I wanted to ask if my 2014 528i N20 should be "abused" as in giving it some power when driving?
Abuse the hell outta it
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 06:20 AM   #3
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
There's a redline for a reason.....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
M6NIAC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550

Abuse it, get super dirty with it
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
johnhva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535ix

Garage List
14 BMW 535ix  [0.00]
04 BMW 325cic 5MT  [0.00]
16 BMW R1200RT  [0.00]
Dump a bottle of Techron in a full tank of gas and rev your way up some Ontario mountain roads!
      04-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

N20's are a garbage engine. Gutless little buzz-bombs just waiting to eat the timing chain guides and trash the engine. Junk junk junk.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #8
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
N20's are a garbage engine. Gutless little buzz-bombs just waiting to eat the timing chain guides and trash the engine. Junk junk junk.
I suppose if you mod it and beat the crap out of it on the track, but then one wouldn't buy an N20 for that, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
couldnt agree with you more. I bought the n52 5 series for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I suppose if you mod it and beat the crap out of it on the track
No, I'm speaking strictly of stock engines driven by responsible adults. I've seen at least a half dozen of them that have all suffered very similar failures.

The engine is garbage, its abhorrent to work on and it exists if only to meet fleet CAFE standards.
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX536.00
      04-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #11
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
No, I'm speaking strictly of stock engines driven by responsible adults. I've seen at least a half dozen of them that have all suffered very similar failures.

The engine is garbage, its abhorrent to work on and it exists if only to meet fleet CAFE standards.
So I've heard this on this board, but when I google I get 2-3 examples of failures on the track. I guess I'll be worried when I see more evidence
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #12
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

The kind of people that buy N20 cars aren't typically forum users, much less track enthusiasts.

They are generally normal people that bought a BMW to have a BMW, and the base engine model suits that end fine unaware of the gross lack of refinement, quality as what they came from was likely just as bad.

It's not at all uncommon to see a perfectly unabused N20 need complete timing chain/tensioner/cassette replacement by 60k. Well outside warranty and murderously expensive if you are paying out of pocket. Most of the completely failed N20's I've seen were most likely a result of the owner ignoring/not noticing the chain racket they make as a precursor to failure. BMW has plenty of information out there via SIB's. Just because you can't find it on a casual Google search doesn't mean its not a real problem.

The oil pump drive chain and cassette are the first to go in many cases, although the upper cassette likes to break as well. The harmonics of this buzzy little 4cyl are terrible, and the balance shaft does little to mitigate these vibrations.

Longer oil service intervals also contribute to sure failures, along with cheap oil services done outside the dealer or professional independents. The N20 will bypass the oil filter if you put a cheap shit China one in there that quickly collapses and engines just love unfiltered oil. Every time I see a Jiffy Lube or some other cheap service outlet sticker on the window I cringe because I've seen the results of that "good deal" oil change.
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX536.00
      04-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #13
MatthewAguilera
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück
The kind of people that buy N20 cars aren't typically forum users, much less track enthusiasts.

They are generally normal people that bought a BMW to have a BMW, and the base engine model suits that end fine unaware of the gross lack of refinement, quality as what they came from was likely just as bad.

It's not at all uncommon to see a perfectly unabused N20 need complete timing chain/tensioner/cassette replacement by 60k. Well outside warranty and murderously expensive if you are paying out of pocket. Most of the completely failed N20's I've seen were most likely a result of the owner ignoring/not noticing the chain racket they make as a precursor to failure. BMW has plenty of information out there via SIB's. Just because you can't find it on a casual Google search doesn't mean its not a real problem.

The oil pump drive chain and cassette are the first to go in many cases, although the upper cassette likes to break as well. The harmonics of this buzzy little 4cyl are terrible, and the balance shaft does little to mitigate these vibrations.

Longer oil service intervals also contribute to sure failures, along with cheap oil services done outside the dealer or professional independents. The N20 will bypass the oil filter if you put a cheap shit China one in there that quickly collapses and engines just love unfiltered oil. Every time I see a Jiffy Lube or some other cheap service outlet sticker on the window I cringe because I've seen the results of that "good deal" oil change.
thanks I was looking for an answer like that, and it's covered on warranty till 100k which should be a big help
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #14
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:

its seriously about time someone brought this issue to light. everyone seems to be dickriding the n20 and its honestly getting ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #15
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

Lots of assumptions here, but sure, i'm a normal BMW owner I suppose. Yeah, I've owned German cars in the past so do have some understanding of quality. Its my daily driver and has enough power to suit my daily needs while it sits in a parking lot most of the day. I also dont go to Jiffy Lube to get my cars oil change. Will have to see how mine pans out.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #16
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Lots of assumptions here, but sure, i'm a normal BMW owner I suppose. Yeah, I've owned German cars in the past so do have some understanding of quality. Its my daily driver and has enough power to suit my daily needs while it sits in a parking lot most of the day. I also dont go to Jiffy Lube to get my cars oil change. Will have to see how mine pans out.
I'll tell u that Stuck knows this car inside and out... I mean more than bling rims and vinyl wraps, search his threads. Also, he's had the benefit of witnessing a statistically viable amount of failures so I would say his comments are facts, not assumptions.

I don't mean to dog on your car, but a 4cyl 5er is a blasphemy and many people have been duped by BMW marketing in this case.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #17
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I'll tell u that Stuck knows this car inside and out... I mean more than bling rims and vinyl wraps, search his threads. Also, he's had the benefit of witnessing a statistically viable amount of failures so I would say his comments are facts, not assumptions.

I don't mean to dog on your car, but a 4cyl 5er is a blasphemy and many people have been duped by BMW marketing in this case.
Quote:
Quote:

Ok bud but I for one has first hand experience that counter his "data" and that spans over years. In terms of being "duped", I would say all of us here are on the same boat. I've owned all sorts of BMWs and engines, all has and had its flaws and issues. Move on
      04-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #18
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
So, now that I'm aware, what should I be looking out for (hearing for) in my N20?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #19
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I found this from 2013, and doesn't seem like my 2012 528i was impacted (Nov 2011 build). But not sure my BMW is not going to have a problem
http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/09/29/bm...20-n26-engine/
Appreciate 0