2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Michelin crossclimate

07-24-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Im1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 520d se

Hi All I am planning on swapping my runflats for Michelin Crossclimate non-runflats . I have the standard 17 inch 225/55 set . Does anyone have any experience of these tyres as I believe they are fairly new . I couldn't find them anywhere in a runflats version so am going to go non-runflat , I must say tentatively !

The crossclimates will be going on the rear axle - does anyone know if having a mixed set causes MOT failure
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Michelin crossclimates are great!

I'd suggest using the same tires all around

I had a set on my golf previously, a set on an A6 estate and I have a set waiting to go on in a months time for my F10

Great tires - have breakdown cover which covers tires
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

If you are the kind of person who does tentative, I wouldn't consider mixing RFT and non-RFT. An MOT failure could be the least of your worries.

Car and tyre manufacturers say you mustn't do it. There are people on the forums who say it is no problem. Guess who your insurance company will side with if bad things happen?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Mixing run flat with non run flat, is definitely not recommended in the motor, tyre and safety related industries. Neither is mixing tyre types.

Plus you can't really evaluate a tyre if only fitted to one axle. Need to be a full set to really know how they work on a car. You could fit them on one axle and find the car is now very skittish, chassis unbalanced, and blame the new tyres. Whereas a complete set may be perfectly suited and have no negatives at all.
Appreciate 1
Im119.00
      07-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Im1
Private First Class
Rep

Ok many thanks for all the replies. I am getting the idea it's all 4 or nothing . Any advice on the tyre mobility kit to buy would be much appreciated. My main concern now is whether the foam would damage the TPMS and how expensive this could be to replace
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

The foam will probably wreck TPMS valves - or at least, you should assume so. Having said that, 17 inch wheels with high-profile sturdy tyres ... far less likely to get a puncture than running 19s with sports tyres.
You can buy new TPMS valves if you did wreck one. I believe they can be got for less than £50 per.

As others have said. Don't mix tyres - all or nothing.
Appreciate 1
Im119.00
      07-25-2017, 04:46 AM   #7
Im1
Private First Class
Rep

Looking forward to getting all 4 replaced . Has anyone had experience of swapping to non runflats with such a large profile tyre -225/55 17

I am all for comfort and quietness so am quite happy to trade compromise on smooth road handling however was wondering if anyone had any comments particularly wrt steering feel
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

You could consider the Goodyear Eagle LS-2 all-season runflats as an alternative

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/br...year/eagle-ls2

Listed as BMW original fitment
Appreciate 1
Im119.00
      07-25-2017, 06:13 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im1 View Post
Looking forward to getting all 4 replaced . Has anyone had experience of swapping to non runflats with such a large profile tyre -225/55 17

I am all for comfort and quietness so am quite happy to trade compromise on smooth road handling however was wondering if anyone had any comments particularly wrt steering feel
I run 18" in summer and 17" in winter, both RFTs. The 17" is a much more 'rubbery feel', if you understand what I mean. I find the 18" a pretty good balance for all driving conditions and situations. When on the 17's there is slightly more comfort, but at a sacrifice of 'sharpness' in the steering and chassis. I know I'd have reservations going to a non run-flat on the 17".

What would be different on non run-flats, is less change in how the tyres feel across the working ambient temperature range. My own case, I find the 17" in winter temperatures feel very similar to the 18" in summer temperatures. Comfort does change a little as temperatures change. Notice it more at typical summer/winter change over temperatures.

I'm on Adaptive Drive, but I don't think that will make much difference to how the tyres feel when comparing. May be a little more evident on the other suspensions.

BTW, I have changed from RFTs to non RFT on a 3-series. Both sizes were 17", running a 45 aspect ratio. Very little change in steering feel, but back in E9x days much better comfort levels. In fact the chassis was much more fluid and predictable. So in some ways better steering, as it was constant, rather than the strange steering characteristics which afflicted some E9x cars, including mine. Those characteristics don't exist in my F11 on run-flats, running optimum tyre pressures.
Appreciate 1
Im119.00
      07-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
Im1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilonen View Post
You could consider the Goodyear Eagle LS-2 all-season runflats as an alternative

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/br...year/eagle-ls2

Listed as BMW original fitment
Thanks for suggestion . However the main reason for the change to the Michelin Crossclimate was that reviewers seem to suggest that it matches summer tyre performance and almost matches winter tyre performance . Apparently it is far superior to all other all-season tyres although I appreciate it could be hype.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im1 View Post
Thanks for suggestion . However the main reason for the change to the Michelin Crossclimate was that reviewers seem to suggest that it matches summer tyre performance and almost matches winter tyre performance .
I don't think it does either, really - perhaps they are comparing it against the lesser summer tyres but most summer tyres available for the F10 are the UHP variants of which the Cross Climate gets nowhere near.
      07-26-2017, 05:33 AM   #12
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

When I looked into them they are basically way better than summer tyres in winter and better than winter tyres in summer. However a lot of the reviews I read were flawed because they were comparing the CCs to using summer tyres all year (fair enough) but also to using winter tyres all year (which is nonsense). Also more than one review said that their benefits were likely to be reduced on "heavier and more powerful vehicles". I would suggest an F10 falls into this category.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #13
Im1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
When I looked into them they are basically way better than summer tyres in winter and better than winter tyres in summer. However a lot of the reviews I read were flawed because they were comparing the CCs to using summer tyres all year (fair enough) but also to using winter tyres all year (which is nonsense). Also more than one review said that their benefits were likely to be reduced on "heavier and more powerful vehicles". I would suggest an F10 falls into this category.
Just to elaborate on my circumstances I hope they will be a good compromise for me - I don't do any serious snow driving but will need to be able to climb slight residential road inclines in light snow dustings and I am not inclined to buy an additional set of winter tyres / wheels given my needs. With summer tyres leaving the house is not possible in the BM . Not intending to use this tyre for any proper snow mobility .
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #14
Im1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
Michelin crossclimates are great!

I'd suggest using the same tires all around

I had a set on my golf previously, a set on an A6 estate and I have a set waiting to go on in a months time for my F10

Great tires - have breakdown cover which covers tires
Thanks I have thankfully never had a roadside problem and need some advice - In the event of tyre failure what do they do - do they come and fit a spare wheel if they can't solve with foam or load onto a truck ?
Appreciate 0