2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Ingress & Headroom questions from a potential (large) buyer

04-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
DubVBenz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: a

Ingress & Headroom questions from a potential (large) buyer

I'm a research and numbers guy that sometimes lets metrics get in the way of actual "feel". To that end, I've been researching numerous potential replacement cars for my aging mercedes W211 Bluetec diesel and have narrowed in on the 535d as its spiritual successor (since mb dumped the 6-cylinder diesel in the e-class).

So I've spent months reading up on it, running numbers and understanding everything I can via metrics alone and yesterday I decided to actually head to the dealership. They didn't have a 535d but I still wanted to get inside an F10 and get a feel for it, so I checked out a 2016 535i.

Given the increasing dimensions of each generation 5-Series, the complaints about it being too large and sharing certain chassis elements with the 7 series gave me the impression that the car would be physically larger inside and out than my 2007 MB E-Class.

However, when I opened the door to get in, I managed to bump my head and hit the frame around the b-pillar as I tried to maneuver myself into the seat. Now, to give some perspective, I'm a "large" guy. I'm 6'1" and about 300Lbs. Yes, I'm aware that I'm larger than average and I shouldn't be knocking a car because of my weight problem. That being said, I don't have similar issues when entering my W211.

Now I travel a lot for work which requires frequent rental cars, and I've run into the same problem entering smaller economy cars, especially if the seat is raised too high or not far enough back. I attempted to adjust the (base, not comfort or multi-contour) seats in advance to allow for easier entry, but I didn't seem to get it right, as I had the same problem getting in (not out) each time (banging my head, having my back hit the B pillar obstruction). I found once the seat was lowered that I actually had plenty of headroom.

So.. am I crazy, or does the B Pillar intrude on the door portal moreso than on other vehicles in this class? Maybe I'm just used to my "method" for getting in and out of my W211 and I'd similarly adapt a method for an F10, but it just seemed weird that such a large car felt so small. I also felt a bit cramped (legroom width wise) once in the cockpit as well, perhaps due to the wide center console.

Now given that I'm metrics driven, I guess I could find some of my answers by looking up the dimensions of the door openings, but I'm not sure if such a thing even exists for driver's legroom width or knee space. If anyone can link me to diagrams of those measurements, I'd appreciate it.

Anyways, I'm rambling, but are there any larger people here that encountered similar issues? Could I have just not had things adjusted properly? I'm bummed because I had basically sold myself on this car over the last several months and now I'm left re-evaluating that decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

what about the 5 series GT.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
DubVBenz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: a

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
what about the 5 series GT.
No diesel. I'm only interested in diesel vehicles and not a huge fan of SUVs. Makes my market very limited. Edit: I should clarify that I'm in the US, hence the limitations.

Last edited by DubVBenz; 04-03-2016 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

i will say that going through the drivethru ATMS the window does seem small as i have a hard time reaching over to the ATM without hitting the upper window frame
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #5
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubVBenz View Post
However, when I opened the door to get in, I managed to bump my head and hit the frame around the b-pillar as I tried to maneuver myself into the seat. Now, to give some perspective, I'm a "large" guy. I'm 6'1" and about 300Lbs. Yes, I'm aware that I'm larger than average and I shouldn't be knocking a car because of my weight problem. That being said, I don't have similar issues when entering my W211.
Can't comment on 2007 E class, but I've tried few that were 2011-2013 and those have significantly less headroom than both F10 and A6, 5 series having most headroom of the 3. E class cars I tried also had the least leg room of the 3, as well as back seat leg room, A6 and F10 were almost identical.

I'm 6'7" 240+ lbs. and have no issues whatsoever in this car. Not with head or legroom (length or width wise), or shoulder room. Could be just what you are used to. Your comment on B pillar stands, if you move your seat far enough back and have the back of the seat reclined a bit, your shoulder will be rubbing/touching it. Initially I noticed the same thing, but finding the right position and getting used to the car will help.

Oh, and based on my experience, at least for interior dimensions, you can research until you're blue in the face, only way to be sure is to actually sit in the car and test it as you will drive. I always bring my kids (used to bring kids car seats when they were smaller) for "final" check to make sure car will work for us as a family.

Hope you figure it all out, and it works for you in the end, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

I am a big dude too - 6'4" about 235, and I fit in the F10 perfectly fine, just as I fit in my previous E60s fine. The only difference for me with the F10 is that a person with legs can actually sit behind me now
The seat is definitely a matter of adjustment. It took me a bit to find a comfortable seating position, but I fit perfectly fine now. I guess, because of my height, I barely notice anymore when I hit my head on a door pillar, or hit my knee on table legs - it comes with the territory. Things are made for average sized people, so if you're not average you will have issues. My wife being 5' tall she has he opposite problem from me. (yes, it takes forever to change the seat back to my seating position after she drives, even with memory seats)
Appreciate 0