2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum LOL! just a lil Rant

03-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Red face LOL! just a lil Rant

Sooooo living here in Ohio is a lot different for me than when i lived in San Diego. i live more in these small country type towns so on the way to work this morning i'm sitting at the main intersection when this old beat up Dodge truck with rust on all fenders pulls up next to me and this guy is waving his hands at me to get my attention. probably in his mid 30's he had an old red hat that was literally rolled so tight the the rim both touched each other if you know what i mean? i guess it does that when guys put their hats in their back pocket from what i was told? anyways, i roll my window down and i say "Good Morning can i help you?" he screams at me and says, "Hey Buddy, Buy American you Dumba$$!" while giving me the finger and than drives off lol i get this once in a blue moon when i drive my Nissan Titan too. i told my coworkers when i got into work this morning as they all laughed and said "you Cali-boys and your pimp mobiles!" anyways, thought i'd share this with you as BMW's are not common in these parts and i'm sure i'm gonna get more strange looks when i'm done modifying my car. maybe because the Industry here is big on Dosmetics since i see a lot of Ford, Chevy and GMC plants everywhere?!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
Sunny 528i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

gotta love the small town hillbillies lol.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Haha I get that a lot here in Michigan too. It's even more amusing when they're driving an "American" vehicle that is built in Mexico or China or Canada.

I used to work at GM for almost 10 years in my old career and I had friends who drove foreign vehicles that weren't allowed to park in the plants parking lot or when they did their car got keyed. After that lovely 10 year experience (I swear I could write a book on the caveman behavior I saw in the GM plants), I will never ever buy a GM vehicle no matter how great it is.

Last edited by DDD31; 03-24-2016 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Sooooo living here in Ohio is a lot different for me than when i lived in San Diego. i live more in these small country type towns so on the way to work this morning i'm sitting at the main intersection when this old beat up Dodge truck with rust on all fenders pulls up next to me and this guy is waving his hands at me to get my attention. probably in his mid 30's he had an old red hat that was literally rolled so tight the the rim both touched each other if you know what i mean? i guess it does that when guys put their hats in their back pocket from what i was told? anyways, i roll my window down and i say "Good Morning can i help you?" he screams at me and says, "Hey Buddy, Buy American you Dumba$$!" while giving me the finger and than drives off lol i get this once in a blue moon when i drive my Nissan Titan too. i told my coworkers when i got into work this morning as they all laughed and said "you Cali-boys and your pimp mobiles!" anyways, thought i'd share this with you as BMW's are not common in these parts and i'm sure i'm gonna get more strange looks when i'm done modifying my car. maybe because the Industry here is big on Dosmetics since i see a lot of Ford, Chevy and GMC plants everywhere?!
Yeah, I've been in Florida for 20 years, but I'm from Ohio. Luckily today I'm fortunate enough to drive a BMW. Most people in my hometown buy American. Hey just cannot appreciate German automobiles. To them, it's just crazy.

I fell your pain and if I lived up north, I would probably not be driving a BMW, at least the caliber of my 550i.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Haha I get that a lot here in Michigan too. It's even more amusing when they're driving an "American" vehicle that is built in Mexico or China or Canada.

I used to work at GM for almost 10 years in my old career and I had friends who drove foreign vehicles that weren't allowed to park in the plants parking lot or when they did their car got keyed. After that lovely 10 year experience (I swear I could write a book on the caveman behavior I saw in the GM plants), I will never ever buy a GM vehicle no matter how great it is.
one of my coworkers told me that story too that you if you work for any of those plants you cannot drive an import into the parking lot or else someone will f it up! i was like really?!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
Yeah, I've been in Florida for 20 years, but I'm from Ohio. Luckily today I'm fortunate enough to drive a BMW. Most people in my hometown buy American. Hey just cannot appreciate German automobiles. To them, it's just crazy.

I fell your pain and if I lived up north, I would probably not be driving a BMW, at least the caliber of my 550i.
haha! so you know what i'm talking about!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Haters gonna hate!!
Its so funny when you hear them complaining of issues on there cars also, when they have to get them fixed. Calling their cars a piece of shit, GM/Ford/Dodge/etc why did they build it like this, blah blah blah.
Then they go by another one and start the whole cycle all over again!

Remember a lot of them are just simple people, and just want simple things. When they see you with something really impressive it makes them feel small so they will always comment. Ask them why the ads for their Domestic brands always include comparisons to BMW?

End of the day BMW is almost a culture of people that really enjoy the automobile experience!

My 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

LOL, luckily here in SOCal I don't get that. And honestly, if American cars were better I probably would buy American. Before I got my old 550 I considered the Cadillac CTS-V, however, one day I am at a light and on the opposite corner was a CTS-V with an old white lady at the wheel. The car still had the dealer plates and the reg in the window. It had GOLD PACKAGE - EEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!! Just knowing that could still be ordered ruined that car for me. Gold package? Seriously? Yeah, I hate chrome, so gold is vomitous.
Thanks big 3, but I won't be buying American anytime soon: At least not an American car maker, my wife's Nissan Armada is made here
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #9
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
LOL, luckily here in SOCal I don't get that. And honestly, if American cars were better I probably would buy American. Before I got my old 550 I considered the Cadillac CTS-V, however, one day I am at a light and on the opposite corner was a CTS-V with an old white lady at the wheel. The car still had the dealer plates and the reg in the window. It had GOLD PACKAGE - EEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!! Just knowing that could still be ordered ruined that car for me. Gold package? Seriously? Yeah, I hate chrome, so gold is vomitous.
Thanks big 3, but I won't be buying American anytime soon: At least not an American car maker, my wife's Nissan Armada is made here
lol!! CTS-v is the only one I could consider buying myself!
I'm just a Bimmer nut. Name another manufacturer with so many OEM mods we can interchange?
Such a huge OEM wheel assortment. I'm just geeked on Bimmers, since the 80s. always have, and most likely always will, (even with all these new turbo engine issues! but )
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
one of my coworkers told me that story too that you if you work for any of those plants you cannot drive an import into the parking lot or else someone will f it up! i was like really?!
Way back in the day I had a VW Corrado VR6 that I drove when I worked in one of GM's steering gear plants. I used to park way out in the lot so no one would bother my car. One day I came back from lunch and someone had smashed in the whole side of the car with their pickup truck and then proceeded to park right next to my car with my silver paint all over the back of his bumper. It was obviously intentional since this prick never parked way out in the lot where my car was parked. Plant security refused to do anything and the police weren't much help either. After that incident and my experience working in many of GM's plants all over Michigan I vowed I wouldn't be caught dead in another GM product.

Rant over...
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
lol!! CTS-v is the only one I could consider buying myself!
I'm just a Bimmer nut. Name another manufacturer with so many OEM mods we can interchange?
Such a huge OEM wheel assortment. I'm just geeked on Bimmers, since the 80s. always have, and most likely always will, (even with all these new turbo engine issues! but )
LOL, ME TOO!!!! My dad was a big Mercedes guy, and even in the 80s I tried convincing him to buy a BMW M6, instead he got the Mercedes 560SEC, never forgave him for that. I have loved BMWs ever since
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
LOL, ME TOO!!!! My dad was a big Mercedes guy, and even in the 80s I tried convincing him to buy a BMW M6, instead he got the Mercedes 560SEC, never forgave him for that. I have loved BMWs ever since
i don't think i could ever get into a Mercedez? not to offend anyone but i thought that was the car old people retire in
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Way back in the day I had a VW Corrado VR6 that I drove when I worked in one of GM's steering gear plants. I used to park way out in the lot so no one would bother my car. One day I came back from lunch and someone had smashed in the whole side of the car with their pickup truck and then proceeded to park right next to my car with my silver paint all over the back of his bumper. It was obviously intentional since this prick never parked way out in the lot where my car was parked. Plant security refused to do anything and the police weren't much help either. After that incident and my experience working in many of GM's plants all over Michigan I vowed I wouldn't be caught dead in another GM product.

Rant over...
my coworker told me his son's Honda Accord was sitting on bricks at the Jeep plant here in Toledo when he got off work that day than my other coworker's brother works for Chrysler and swears he would never buy their cars! it's just crazy!

i will say i see alot of bumper stickers or big stickers on the back of people's window with "BUY AMERICAN" everywhere! for me personally it's just crazy to see how people are when you live in an area where the industry is big on American built cars especially Detroit but you drive something else people won't hesitate to give you their opinion...even in the other lane!

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 03-24-2016 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #14
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Never been to the US, only knows it from movies.
But I guess Americans are very different from Hollywood to some hick town full on rednecks.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #15
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

I'd buy a buick, as long as it started life as an Opel!
      03-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
But I guess Americans are very different from Hollywood to some hick town full on rednecks.
actually i learned there's a difference...there's rednecks and hillbillies! i thought they were the same...boy was i wrong
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #17
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
You know, based on my experience, rural, small town guy is a rural, small town guy, no matter where you are. Generalization of course that's not always true, but I've seen lots of similarities in places I've been. Good folks, just can come across as rough around edges until you get to know them better.

Last edited by Bbb34; 03-24-2016 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #18
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
.....i roll my window down and i say "Good Morning can i help you?" he screams at me and says, "Hey Buddy, Buy American you Dumba$$!" while giving me the finger and than drives off lol
Not sure how much time you had on your hands, and how quickly he rolled his window up and took off, but something like "hey man, I hear you, autoworkers jobs at stake and what not, but if you have time to pull over for a coffee, perhaps a beer somewhere down the road (would be your treat of course) we can discuss pros and cons of each"
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #19
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Not sure how much time you had on your hands, and how quickly he rolled his window up and took off, but something like "hey man, I hear you, autoworkers jobs at stake and what not, but if you have time to pull over for a coffee, perhaps a beer somewhere down the road (would be your treat of course) we can discuss pros and cons of each"
funny part is i had my work uniform on so i was wearing my FR's so i looked like anybody else but i bet if he did that say in the morning or afternoon when i was on my way to the gym and he come waving his hand at me. i would have rolled down my window and he would've seen me in a razorback tank top fully sleeved tatted up on both arms asian dude with black sunglasses and a frohawk (<-----my picture) staring right at him lol he probably would have said it anyways haha since they're crazy out here anyways
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #20
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
....asian dude with black sunglasses and a frohawk (<-----my picture)
Sheesh man, imagine if you had "different kind of import"
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #21
gabypr
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2015 F10 535i

Garage List
Some people just take things too personal. Everyone is free to buy and like domestic or import brands. Thats the way it is. Thanks God I have never been in a situation like that one.

CQuartz UK 3 Ceramic Coating | GeoShield Pronano 50% Ceramic Window Film | M5 M Perf Steering Wheel | M6 Comp Pkg Mufflers | M Perf Floor Mats | CF Spoiler | RW CF Quad Setup Diffuser | RW CF Front Lip | CF Trim | BMW Interior Leds | M5 343 Wheels | Pure Stg 2 Turbo
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #22
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Quote:
funny part is i had my work uniform on so i was wearing my FR's so i looked like anybody else but i bet if he did that say in the morning or afternoon when i was on my way to the gym and he come waving his hand at me. i would have rolled down my window and he would've seen me in a razorback tank top fully sleeved tatted up on both arms asian dude with black sunglasses and a frohawk (<-----my picture) staring right at him lol he probably would have said it anyways haha since they're crazy out here anyways
Nice. Another ornamental with full sleeves That's always my dilemma....spending money on more tats or buying car parts. Back to the subject at hand, many years ago (late 80's), I visited the midwest to scout out colleges, namely Michigan, Ohio, etc. and stopped at a Burger King to grab a bite. The cashier asked if I knew karate and laughed. That night in Detroit, I get a motel room and browse the yellow pages to find some chinese food. Some of the adds had a disclaimer at the bottom saying 'we serve japanese people'. WTF? Now, I just get on a plane on the west coast and step off on the east coast.
Appreciate 1