2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK M Performance power kit 520D -Fitting and cost?

01-19-2015, 06:05 AM   #23
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
If the Steinbauer box does not increase fuelling or turbo boost pressure, what exactly does it do to yield +26% power?
As usual, they don't talk too much about the box, except than it is changing injection duration within the same timing
Description:
http://www.dieselcare.com.au/steinbauer-power-module (see link to the Application lists below the text)
Installation:
Link1: http://www.steinbauer.cc/media/kb/in...hancement_.pdf
Link2: http://www.***********.com/attachmen...0&d=1388870627

Last edited by valbmw; 01-19-2015 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 06:08 AM   #24
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbmw View Post
I agree with you, we even have the steering wheel at another side. But just to be consistent: BMW is a German car, the box is Austrian and the whole site is US if you don't mind. What's wrong with it. Whatever is done differently here and there, we are all BMW fans discussing owners' experience. Regardless of what you mean 'differently', let's just be smart and play it cool.
If you look at the top of the page you'll see that this is the UK section, not U.S.!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 06:11 AM   #25
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
If the Steinbauer box does not increase fuelling or turbo boost pressure, what exactly does it do to yield +26% power?

Or do you mean the DTUK does not increase fuelling or turbo boost?
The crude tuning box s withonly one or two connections like the DTUK increase fuel rail & boost pressures, which can cause problems. And they fool the cars ECU into thinking it's running at lower fuel & boost pressures than it is!

The Steinbauer, ACS & Hartge change the injection duration by pwm, which is the way the engine was originally designed to operate. Also they have far more connections, one to each injector & one to the exhaust temp sensor.

Also those boxes do not make the cars MPG guage innacurate, the DTUK etc ones do.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #26
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The crude tuning box s withonly one or two connections like the DTUK increase fuel rail & boost pressures, which can cause problems. And they fool the cars ECU into thinking it's running at lower fuel & boost pressures than it is!

The Steinbauer, ACS & Hartge change the injection duration by pwm, which is the way the engine was originally designed to operate. Also they have far more connections, one to each injector & one to the exhaust temp sensor.

Also those boxes do not make the cars MPG guage innacurate, the DTUK etc ones do.
Kindly correct me if I am wrong.
Individual connection going to each injector means that tunning box is increasing more fuel and chances of your egr getting clogged will be more. I may be wrong on this though.

I think I need to sit and read the difference in different method of tuning. I cannot understand how does fuel and boost pressure increase the BHP and torque.
      01-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #27
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Kindly correct me if I am wrong.
Individual connection going to each injector means that tunning box is increasing more fuel and chances of your egr getting clogged will be more. I may be wrong on this though.

I think I need to sit and read the difference in different method of tuning. I cannot understand how does fuel and boost pressure increase the BHP and torque.
More fuel pressure means more fuel goes into the engine, more boost pressure means more air goes into the engine, both are achieved by the tuning box 'fooling' the cars ECU into thinking the pressures are lower than it really is, which in turn causes the ECU to increase the pressures. This puts extra strain on the turbo and fuel rail.

The ACS, SB & Hartge don't increase turbo boost pressure (although the turbo will get up to full pressure quicker, and have less lag) and they don't increase fuel injection pressure, instead they increase the duration that the injectors spray fuel into the cylinder, which is the same way the engines ECU would get more power from the engine.

I'm not saying you will get problems from the DTUK type boxes, but it is far more likely. If you search the web for problems with Steinbauer boxes you won't find any, i searched for days!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #28
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Here's the difference in connections, Steinbauer on top/left:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #29
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
More fuel pressure means more fuel goes into the engine, more boost pressure means more air goes into the engine, both are achieved by the tuning box 'fooling' the cars ECU into thinking the pressures are lower than it really is, which in turn causes the ECU to increase the pressures. This puts extra strain on the turbo and fuel rail.

The ACS, SB & Hartge don't increase turbo boost pressure (although the turbo will get up to full pressure quicker, and have less lag) and they don't increase fuel injection pressure, instead they increase the duration that the injectors spray fuel into the cylinder, which is the same way the engines ECU would get more power from the engine.

I'm not saying you will get problems from the DTUK type boxes, but it is far more likely. If you search the web for problems with Steinbauer boxes you won't find any, i searched for days!!
Good to hear that. I checked DTUK and Steinbauer box. Both have TUV certification and I could not find negative reviews on DTUK boxes for beamers.

Also, I looked at the specs of both boxes. Output is same. I have also kept an eye on my exhaust to check if I get any black smoke, but none.

Will be keen to hear your feedback.
      01-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #30
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Good to hear that. I checked DTUK and Steinbauer box. Both have TUV certification and I could not find negative reviews on DTUK boxes for beamers.

Also, I looked at the specs of both boxes. Output is same. I have also kept an eye on my exhaust to check if I get any black smoke, but none.

Will be keen to hear your feedback.
We won't get any black smoke on our cars as the particulate filter catches it all. The problem that all tuning boxes could cause is blocking the filter and killing it! You don't want to know how much they are to replace! I haven't heard of it happening though.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #31
Candywhite
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 520da lci M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy_bwoy View Post
The dealer I spoke to said it could be done it was the price I was unhappy with.
hello, looks like the power kit comes with a new torque converter for cars build from 7/13..
it could explain the higher price, add that and a couple extra hours of labour..
Appreciate 0