2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes ATTENTION - ACS Springs Front End Noise Issue FOUND & FIXED!

09-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

ATTENTION - ACS Springs Front End Noise Issue FOUND & FIXED!

Hi all,

Those of you know i've been trying to figure out why my 535xi was making rattling noise right after i got the ACS springs installed. See thread here - http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737677

After thinking about it and trying different things over the last couple of weeks I am 110% sure I figured out the source of the noise. I drove around after the fix and didn't hear the rattle once. I will continue to monitor this but I wanted to let everyone else know how to fix this asap because i know it was driving me insane having a brand new car with less than 600 miles on it rattle every time it went over bumps.

The Problem - The front springs top two coils are coming into contact with each other. When the car is on the ground the top two coils is right at the point where they are barely touching so when you are going over minor bumps they are clanking/vibrating on each other.

The Solution - Go to home depot and purchase a clear rubber hose. Cut out a small section and slice it right down the middle so you can slip it right over the spring. You want this on the second coil from top down. I then zip tied it so that the hose won't come loose over time. I did this on both front springs and it completely eliminated the front end rattle that i was hearing. You do not have to remove the front wheels to do this. You just need to jack up the side and you can reach in to insert the hose. The hose acts like a rubber cushion to prevent any metal to metal contact creating noise. I also sprayed the hose down with some dry silicone lubricant just incase it squeaked.

(keep in mind in this pic the car was jacked up)

Some springs actually comes with a rubber lining that prevents this very noise but my ACS springs did not. I am going to submit my findings to ACS Germany to see if they can offer us a more legitimate solution but my method works perfectly

This fixed the noise on my car and hopefully it will on yours but obviously there are no guarantees

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 09-19-2012 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Great find Alan!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Nice work. Will try this tomorrow.

Did you notice any wear on the springs where they were touching?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

You have no idea how happy I was in the drive back home without any rattle noise. Lucky this is a simple and quick fix.

Alan
      09-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

One of them seemed alittle scuffed up but not sure if it was from the install or what.

Let me know if it works for you. When you look at it you will know where to put the rubber tubing. I am going to redo mine to cover more of that second coil.

Alan
      09-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
helbreath
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am just wondering if there is a possibility that the springs were installed in the wrong direction?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Nobleman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 Xdrive Msport TiAg

Nice find out Alan
Did u cover the entire second coil with rubber hose?
What kind zip tie did u use? Plastic or metal.
I might try this weekend and hopefully sound goes away! Bro.

Waiting New M4
Sold- 2011 535 Xdrive Msport TiAg
Retired- 2008 535i Sport Jet Black
Retired- 2006 335i Sport Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I didn't cover the entire second coil but it wouldn't hurt. Once you are looking at the spring in front of you it will be pretty obvious where it could be touching the top most coil.

I used regular black plastic zip tie. I would avoid metal as that could cause noise itself.

The key is to find the right size hose in the softest texture possible. I wasn't able to cover the entire coil because the hose i bought was too rigid and didn't want to bend so sharply so i had to do it in two pieces. I've seen someone actually cut the hose in a spiral pattern so that the hose would have more give. See post here - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609774

I am going to drive around tomorrow to see if the noise is still gone. I tried it in sport and comfort mode before (i have DDC) and didn't hear a peep. Usually the noise is more consistent in comfort mode.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 09-14-2012 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helbreath View Post
I am just wondering if there is a possibility that the springs were installed in the wrong direction?
Doubt it. When i looked at my springs they were def. installed right side up and they aren't Left/Right specific. The springs also looked seated properly as well and my installer marked how my stock springs were installed and did the same thing with the ACS springs.

As some of you guys know ACS springs are in fact made my Eibach. ACS confirmed this with me via email and i've see many Eibach springs come with some sort of silicone wrapping on the first few coils depending on design. Seems like the ACS springs really should have this installed if the coils are THAT close to each other.

Alan
      09-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: shifting priorities for now...

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Hi all,

The Problem - The front springs top two coils are coming into contact with each other. When the car is on the ground the top two coils is right at the point where they are barely touching so when you are going over minor bumps they are clanking/vibrating on each other.

The Solution - Go to home depot and purchase a clear rubber hose. Cut out a small section and slice it right down the middle so you can slip it right over the spring. You want this on the second coil from top down. I then zip tied it so that the hose won't come loose over time. I did this on both front springs and it completely eliminated the front end rattle that i was hearing. You do not have to remove the front wheels to do this. You just need to jack up the side and you can reach in to insert the hose. The hose acts like a rubber cushion to prevent any metal to metal contact creating noise. I also sprayed the hose down with some dry silicone lubricant just incase it squeaked.

Some springs actually comes with a rubber lining that prevents this very noise but my ACS springs did not. I am going to submit my findings to ACS Germany to see if they can offer us a more legitimate solution but my method works perfectly

This fixed the noise on my car and hopefully it will on yours but obviously there are no guarantees

Alan
You, Sir, are DA MAN!

Just curious; did ACS give any reply to you as far as solution and noises? I mean prior to you using this silicone hose thing?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

ACS Germany has been great throughout and they are having their engineers look into the issue. I submitted my findings to them and have not heard from them yet. It usually takes a few days...

I will keep you guys posted on what they say. Shouldn't be that difficult for them to send me something more oem looking to replace the hose method i am using even though its basically the same thing.

Besides adding the silicone hose to the top second coil i also stuff two pieces of foam under the front fender liner. Doubt that did anything but just wanted to throw that out there. The F10 seems to be built very different from my past bmw's. Materials used seems more hollow (albeit to save some weight) and sounds seem to echo much louder when you bang on them. The fender liner is held to the chassis by those plastic push pin style fasteners and there were areas where it seem like it could vibrate against the chassis because there was too large a gap between fasteners and felt like it could flap a little. If you are sitting facing the front wheel directly the foam insert i used was place right around the 1 and 4 o'clock position. Basically all i did was used was something soft, lift the fender liner apart with my hand and wedged it behind.

Alan
      09-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Drove around some more tonight and ZERO noise!

Anybody else try this fix yet?

Alan
      09-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: shifting priorities for now...

Lightbulb

Quote:
ACS Germany has been great throughout and they are having their engineers look into the issue. I submitted my findings to them and have not heard from them yet. It usually takes a few days...

I will keep you guys posted on what they say. Shouldn't be that difficult for them to send me something more oem looking to replace the hose method i am using even though its basically the same thing.

Besides adding the silicone hose to the top second coil i also stuff two pieces of foam under the front fender liner. Doubt that did anything but just wanted to throw that out there. The F10 seems to be built very different from my past bmw's. Materials used seems more hollow (albeit to save some weight) and sounds seem to echo much louder when you bang on them. The fender liner is held to the chassis by those plastic push pin style fasteners and there were areas where it seem like it could vibrate against the chassis because there was too large a gap between fasteners and felt like it could flap a little. If you are sitting facing the front wheel directly the foam insert i used was place right around the 1 and 4 o'clock position. Basically all i did was used was something soft, lift the fender liner apart with my hand and wedged it behind.

Alan
Thanks Alan! I'm thinking about stopping by after work at our equivalent of Home Depot to get some silicon hose and some 3M double sided tapes.. How thick is the silicon hose that you are using by the way? And the diameter, please?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #14
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I would say about 3mm thick but I can't recall the diameter size. I picked up a few sizes and just used the one that fit best since they werent expensive.

Don't use double sides tape on the coils. It won't hold the constant pressure. Get some heavy duty plastic zip ties to attach the hose around the spring.

Alan
      09-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
JohnnyF10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: f10 528i xDrive, e93 M3

Any update from Schnitzer ? I have received my new wheels and waiting to buy a set of springs. If not I will do your trick
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

ACS Germany is sending me inserts for the springs. I'm sure if anyone else contacts them they won't have a problem sending them to you as well. The person i've been dealing with at ACS Germany is Michael Drawz (michael.drawz@ac-schnitzer.de)

The bad news for me is that i would have to remove the front springs to be able to put the insert into the springs which I don't plan on doing unless my solution doesn't hold up. Essentially ACS is giving me a tube that just slides into the coil from top down where as mine is sliced in half so i can just install it wherever. I'll see how my solution holds up and if it does then i'll just leave it alone. If not then i'll install the ACS insert. Drove my car all day today and the noise is 100% gone now. Very happy with the springs now and dead silent just like oem.

I'm sure you guys can do the same thing when you get the springs by just buying the right size rubber tube and just slide it into the top two coils before the install.

Alan
      09-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #17
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Did some searching and seems like some Cadillac owners have similar noises with their Eibach springs and Eibach sent them this as a solution.

Maybe we can call Eibach to see if they have an application for the F10. This just slips right in without the need to remove the springs.

CTS-V's Eibach part "(UB0205-5) for a spring isolator"

Some people also used this instead - http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ntPage=search#

Not sure how well that works without seeing it in person. I might to check it out to see how thick/soft it is to be able to handle the task

Alan
      09-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #18
ceebange061175
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 535i M-sports

you'r the best bro! Thanks for the finding all sources for you and us. Keep it up Alan.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #19
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

No problem. I wasn't having it where my new car was rattling like a POS going over bumps.

Try my fix to see if it helps you and your brothers car. Seriously takes 5min per side to do.

Alan
      09-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #20
DentalBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe

Genious! Genious!!!!!!
E60 M5 Dinan stg3,hiflow throttle bodies,coldair,evosport rear diff,Eisenmann Race sold
E39 M5 UUC short shift,UUC Corsa and More Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #21
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Just got my package from ACS Germany. Don't bother contacting them because all they did was send me what i already purchased from Home Depot for $5.

Alan
      10-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #22
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Did some searching and seems like some Cadillac owners have similar noises with their Eibach springs and Eibach sent them this as a solution.

Maybe we can call Eibach to see if they have an application for the F10. This just slips right in without the need to remove the springs.

CTS-V's Eibach part "(UB0205-5) for a spring isolator"

Some people also used this instead - http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ntPage=search#

Not sure how well that works without seeing it in person. I might to check it out to see how thick/soft it is to be able to handle the task

Alan
I just got off the phone with Eibach and turns out the F10 uses the same UB0205-5. Summit Racing can order this for you at $39 each which is pricey but this is the most oem looking solution for people with spring noise. Not need to remove the springs to install this and comes with adhesive within the insert to hold it in place. I'll report back once i get them installed.

My $5 hose method is still working flawlessly but i wanted something that didn't stand out at the dealer when i bring it in for service.

Alan