2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Limp mode

01-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Limp mode

Started the car up this morning to warm it up and some warning stating drivetrain malfunction appeared with an icon to schedule an immediate service appointment. Turned the car off and back on to find the same message. Third time the message turned off. I called my SA and he told me to drive the car to the dealership if possible or he would send a tow. Dealership is only about 10 miles away and I can get there using back roads, no highway required. I decided to drive the car and it's now sitting in the service bay at the dealership. I'm in a 328 loaner right now, but come on!!!! 300 miles driven conservatively and now this? Anyone else with a similar experience.

Last edited by nal13; 01-04-2014 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nal13 View Post
Started the car up this morning to warm up and some warning stating cylinder malfunction appeared with an icon to schedule an immediate service appointment. Turned the car off and back on to find the same message. Third time the message turned off. I called my SA and he told me to bring the car in if possible now or that he would send a tow. I decided to drive the car and it's now sitting in the service bay at the dealership. I'm in a 328 loaner right now, but come on!!!! 300 miles driven conservatively and now this? Anyone else with a similar experience.
sorry to hear that! I've got about 3k on my car now, and have not experienced this with my '14 550xi ... please keep us updated as to what they find.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Had that happen on my 11 550xi, but that's because I beat the shit out of the car. Had the coil packs replaced at 25K miles, but I believe they only replaced 3 of them, had the other 3 replaced about 1k miles ago because the car kept going into limp mode when I beat on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

There's a term in the industry called infant mortality...while stuff works initially, some small percentage of parts will fail in a short time. That is why they give you a warranty...

while an inconvenience, it happens, and there's just the luck of the draw. If they get too many failures, they either change suppliers, or redesign the part. If it were really common, they'd have a recall.

It's one of those things you basically have to live with and the odds of it happening again are quite small, but still there.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
There's a term in the industry called infant mortality...while stuff works initially, some small percentage of parts will fail in a short time. That is why they give you a warranty...

while an inconvenience, it happens, and there's just the luck of the draw. If they get too many failures, they either change suppliers, or redesign the part. If it were really common, they'd have a recall.

It's one of those things you basically have to live with and the odds of it happening again are quite small, but still there.
I wouldn't be as concerned if it was an electrical problem. Drive-train issues scare me. I really hope this is not the beginning of a lemon. Luckily CT has a pretty good lemon law and if the car is out of service for more then 30 days for the same problem, the consumer is entitled to a new vehicle. I hope this was a simple glitch but I'll have to wait until Monday morning to see.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Nubs61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nal13 View Post
Started the car up this morning to warm it up and some warning stating drivetrain malfunction appeared with an icon to schedule an immediate service appointment. Turned the car off and back on to find the same message. Third time the message turned off. I called my SA and he told me to drive the car to the dealership if possible or he would send a tow. Dealership is only about 10 miles away and I can get there using back roads, no highway required. I decided to drive the car and it's now sitting in the service bay at the dealership. I'm in a 328 loaner right now, but come on!!!! 300 miles driven conservatively and now this? Anyone else with a similar experience.
I had a 2011 550i and the "drivetrain malfunction" signal went on frequently (more than it should have). Several times it was nothing and it went away bit itself after car was turned off and on. Once it was the fuel pump needed to be replaced and the another time the clutch needed to be replaced (was a 6 speed MT).

Good news was never paid a dime with the warranty but very inconvenient and annoying.

As another stated it really is the luck of the draw I think (hope).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Without knowing what turns that light on, keep in mind that the drivetrain is composed of both lots of mechanical things AND lots of electronic sensors to monitor and activate things...it may not be a mechanical issue at all, as evidenced by your ability to drive it to the dealership.

On my vehicle, I have had two electrical issues, fixed under warranty: the electronic parking brake switch was faulty almost from the first day after delivery in Germany; and about a year later, I had issues with the electronic switchpad that opens the hatch. In this case, neither was a show stopper and I could continue to drive the vehicle, but they were both fixed and the problem has not recurred. I've got a bit more than another year left on the warranty, and hopefully, anything else will also show up before that happens.

Our BMW cars are much more complex electronically than probably anything else we own...it's a tribute to the manufacturer that they don't break something more often!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Nal13 - sorry to hear that news. Keep us informed on what they find. I'm guessing it's minor - more likely a bad sensor or electronic part at only 300 miles than something mechanical.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Just got a call from the Service Department at BMW. Its a fuel injector issue and at least one needs to be replaced. They will have the part on Wednesday and I should have the car back that afternoon. Hope that this is the only problem that I run into with this car.

Last edited by nal13; 01-06-2014 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

When I ordered my '01 325i (navigation was brand-new for that year in the 3 - no car on any lot had it), I went to pick the car up and it had a DSC and brake-light on from PICK-UP with 14 miles on the odometer. I was younger, and definitely un-informed (it was my first BMW). The CA told me it was "normal" when the "blah blah blah" was whatever... I don't even recall his excuse at the moment, but I should have put two-and-two together that ANY light on the dash is usually a bad sign. Then again, every time I spoke to my CA he kept calling me by the wrong name, too - absent minded guy.

In short, I picked the car up, drove it 100 miles back home (I got it at a further dealership who was able to cut a better deal), and then immediately sent it to my local dealer where it would continue to get serviced for the remainder of it's 6 years with me. It turned out it was a bad wheel sensor - nothing more. But it put an "oh no" thought in my head to start off my experience with BMW and my new 325i.

Well, the car stayed with me for 6 years and 125k miles. It had minor issues here and there - mostly common things for an e46 - blower resistor motors, window seal creaks, etc. The most serious issue it ever had was an oil separator well over 100k miles. Point being, I wouldn't let it worry you. Some cars, like my 325i, that started out with issues end up being rock solid.

So, I'd maybe take it as some good luck! You've gotten the first issue out of the way, and maybe that's paved the way for a nice, rock solid ownership experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post

So, I'd maybe take it as some good luck! You've gotten the first issue out of the way, and maybe that's paved the way for a nice, rock solid ownership experience.
Thanks for the words of encouragment.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #12
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Just picked my car up. The one faulty fuel injector was replaced and hopefully this will be my one and only problem with this car. I felt all giddy when I got back behind the wheel, like a kid in a candy shop. It really is an awesome machine.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #13
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good to hear you've got it back!
Appreciate 0