2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Do UK F10s with Active Cruise Control have Collision warning with braking function?

08-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dreaming of a F10

Forward Alert with Braking Function on UK F10s with ACC

Dear All,

My father has a 530D F10 on order, its due for September production. We were just looking on http://bmw.connecteddrive.info/stage.php filtered for the UK.

We suspect however it is showing some functionality that is not available in the UK for example the VI+ Traffic information plus which I believe is only available in Germany.

We were surprised to see on the connected drive website that Collision warning with braking function is available in the UK and has been since Jan 2010.

Dad has ordered the adaptive cruise control, but the dealer told us it would not have Collision warning with breaking function. The dealer said this was only available in the rest of Europe and was adamant it was not available in the UK.
We have found the dealer is not always 100% correct.

We are following up with BMW customer services, but does any one have a UK F10 with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) already? We couldn't find any in the local dealers. Does it have Collision warning with braking function?

Would be great to hear from any one in the UK with an F10 with ACC thanks!
Paul

Last edited by pmw103; 09-11-2010 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Updated Info
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Correct me if I wrong but the ConnectedDrive site reflects models through 2010....2011 models and their features are not listed. So should the site be taken as "gospel"?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

In Germany I got the warning a couple of times when a car jumped in front of me on the
Autobahn. I could not feel the brakes activate in my US spec 550i.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

@Soon ExAudi Guy
Thanks for the feedback.
Indeed, I am not sure the site is 100% either, I don't think its gospel but its very interesting :-) I wanted to try and verify what was and wasn't true.
I am not sure it was meant to list all features, just those related to connected drive.

What do you think is missing?
In terms of connected drive and what we have been told in the UK it looks pretty comprehensive?

@pharding
Thanks for the feedback,
I think there is an easy way to tell if you have both systems and I belive the US cars with ACC do.

If you look at the connected drive website and then look at your car do you have 2 buttons?

1 With the Cruise control Clock and a car? (ACC)
2 With the back of one can and the front of the another with a * and an arrow? (Collision avoidance)

Would you be able to confirm please?
I think if you have this rear end / front end car button then you have both systems, the collision avoidance and cruise control can be switchted independently of each other although they use the same underlying system.
If you have it turned on the Collison avoidance is active all the time regardless of whether you are in cruise or not.

If you watch this video and pasue it at about 11 seconds in you can see the button I am talking about.

Thanks for all your help
Regards
Paul

Last edited by pmw103; 08-10-2010 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi All,
Just to confirm BMW customer services replied and confirmed that the UK cars with ACC will NOT have the rear collision warning. I am about to go back to them and ask why!

Will also ask them to update the connected drive website so its accurate by country.

If I get anything interesting will post again.
Thanks for all your help
Cheers
Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

UK cars with ACC and Forward Alert with Braking Function

Hi All,
Just to update you, after further investigation.
According to BMW Customer services, UK cars with ACC will have something called Forward Alert with Braking Function

In the US its called Collision warning with braking function

Hence the confusion with my original question appears to be due to different terminology.

On the connected drive website, they appear to call it collision warning system,

http://bmw.connecteddrive.info/stage.php

(I can't be sure but I think in the past it was called rear collision warning system)

I don't have the UK handbook yet as the car doesn't arrive till the end of the month, but from what I recall the description in the UK manual on page 106 and 107 is very similar to the description in the on-line version of the US manual, pages 107,108

http://www.bmwusa.com/pdf_adf7a410-5...1406002f5.arox

But the good news is UK F10s with ACC will get the warning!
Even though its not mentioned in the UK brochure!

Any one in the UK looking for this warning system, I would get your dealer to clarify when you order, I don't know 100% that it will be on the car, it doesn't arrive in the UK until the end of the month but all indications appear that it will be! Your dealer should be able to confirm!
It would appear however many dealers stock answer is that UK cars don't have it but I think if they dig deeper they will discover they do! Apparently they were told at the launch in Portugal that they wouldn't have this functionality but more recently some sales managers have been give demos of the system by BMW UK. It seams somewhere along the line the name was changed, for the non US or perhaps just UK market!

Thanks for all the aditional info SDRX

Hope this helps!
Cheers
Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

A great feature!! It has become part of BMW's driver assistance program. We can all expect this feature to become much more advanced and common in the future.

Universal communication platforms will allow cars to communicate critical information between drivers and therefore allowing transfer of data collected from radars and sensors etc. Very exciting times ahead.

My F10 on order will hopefully have the Forward Alert with Braking and it integrates with the Head-up display. Expect a full report here later in october.

Good work Paul!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #8
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks SDRX
Appreciate 0