2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Tyres need replacing at 12780 miles

01-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
My car has 18" wheels, the reason being that, when configuring the car, I didn't like the look of the optional 19's and seeing as they weren't far short of £2k, I thought I save the cash for a future upgrade such as this.

Only decision remaining is what make of non-runflat? I'm very tempted to follow 'uktivo' and get Continentals, but I'm not too sure about mixing different model/tread patterns between front and rear.

I've heard good reports about Vredestein Sessantas and they're quite reasonably priced - do you have any recommendations?
Ah, forgot you are on 18". Having done a lot of research on tyres, when in the midst of my own issues, I did come across some comments about tyre spring rates and it has been observed that even with RFTs, the lower section tyres can have a lower spring rate than the taller sections.

Translated, that means a 18" tyre can have stiffer sidewalls than a 19" or 20" RFT. Make sense? That can result in poor road follow, and all the other issues being worse on the 18", than on a 19" or 20".

I personally wouldn't mix tyre types, even of the same brand. To get it right it is more of a science, or pot luck, as we really need to know how each type will effect the balance of the car.

What about ContiSportContact 3? They are getting good reviews and topping many performance tyre tests.

The Vredesteins get good reviews on the3-series. One cautionary note. Some have noticed the tread design can make the left/right bends 'different' in feel, as you get near the limits. I wonder what a non mirrored tread design will do with EPS, and any sensitivities this could cause to steering precision. Think I'd want a bit more feedback on this subject, not be the guinea pig.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #24
uktivo
Private
Rep
Drives: 530D - F10

Now done about 2k miles on the non run flats and thought I'd give some more feedback..

Well nothing new to add really. They are fantastic and have transformed my enjoyment of the car.... I'm really pleased I did it now.. it was a big gamble, but it paid off..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #25
RyanS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by uktivo View Post
Now done about 2k miles on the non run flats and thought I'd give some more feedback..

Well nothing new to add really. They are fantastic and have transformed my enjoyment of the car.... I'm really pleased I did it now.. it was a big gamble, but it paid off..
Thanks for the update! I will probably go this route with the wife's car and it is good to hear about the experiences of others beforehand.
Appreciate 0