2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Really BMW

11-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 550i MSp, 15 F15 50 MSp

Really BMW

All 4 tires have low tire pressure because it's 32 Degree's outside...smh
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

How is that a BMW issue? It is physics that you have an issue with.
How dare they let you know the pressure is below what you set it to alarm at...
Appreciate 2
Bbb34730.50
      11-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
How is that a BMW issue? It is physics that you have an issue with.
How dare they let you know the pressure is below what you set it to alarm at...
Umm...I love my BMWs (Currently own 2 right now), but I also know there are other makes and models out there that don't give you false readings for all four tires when it get's a little cold out. FYI...The tire pressure wasn't low in any of my tires, hence when I reset it they were good to go. When a tire is truly low it will not reset unless you actually put air in the tire.

It's all good though, I just thought it was funny when I got in my car this morning and seen this. The car is garage kept and it's like someone let some air out of all my tires.

Last edited by rntaylor; 11-08-2016 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Our E90 would do this when it got cold, it was always a few pounds lower than ideal. My F10 hasn't been that cold yet..
I would recommend getting the car programmed to show PSI and TEMP of each wheel, did it on my F10 and love being able to see that kind of detail.
Have a 4x4 RAM 2500 rental right now and crazy how much the pressure changes from sitting outside in cold to rolling, quite a bit of air in those things.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Our E90 would do this when it got cold, it was always a few pounds lower than ideal. My F10 hasn't been that cold yet..
I would recommend getting the car programmed to show PSI and TEMP of each wheel, did it on my F10 and love being able to see that kind of detail.
Have a 4x4 RAM 2500 rental right now and crazy how much the pressure changes from sitting outside in cold to rolling, quite a bit of air in those things.
Yea, I've been meaning to get it coded for a few things; to include showing the PSI. Our F15 shows the PSI; which is really nice.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Just got this yesterday... actually my wife did and she turned around on the way to work calling me on the phone panicking and pissed that now she's late to work. So I asked which tires is it and she's telling me the screen shows all 4! So she's upset that why the HELL we payed all this money for this car when $hit like this comes up? so I reset the computer and it went away. A bit annoying if you ask me as running on 21's with low PSI can totally ruin your rims!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Just got this yesterday... actually my wife did and she turned around on the way to work calling me on the phone panicking and pissed that now she's late to work. So I asked which tires is it and she's telling me the screen shows all 4! So she's upset that why the HELL we payed all this money for this car when $hit like this comes up? so I reset the computer and it went away. A bit annoying if you ask me as running on 21's with low PSI can totally ruin your rims!
My wife used to do and say the same thing in her E70! Whenever something pops up she panic's and calls me complaining! I'm always saying to her "All you do is drive it"! I used to get in the E70 after a couple of weeks of not being in it and notice a sound or something coming from the engine, etc and I would ask her about it and she had no clue...smh

We've only had the F15 a couple of months now, but let's see if she pays any attention to it while she's driving this one.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #8
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntaylor View Post
Umm...I love my BMWs (Currently own 2 right now), but I also know there are other makes and models out there that don't give you false readings for all four tires when it get's a little cold out. FYI...The tire pressure wasn't low in any of my tires, hence when I reset it they were good to go. When a tire is truly low it will not reset unless you actually put air in the tire.

It's all good though, I just thought it was funny when I got in my car this morning and seen this. The car is garage kept and it's like someone let some air out of all my tires.
They were 'good' when you reset it because you reset the 'baseline' for what your psi will be at. If I put 40 psi in my tires and reset my TPMS, that will set the minimum (give or take a few psi). The next morning, if it's cold enough, my tire pressure will drop to around 32psi which will alarm the system that my tire is low even though it is not. Once your tires heat up, temps will rise and all will be fine. (I can see actual pressure and temperature readings of my tires on my iDrive).

To alleviate: Reset your TPMS on a cold morning with your tires cold and you'll never have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVSRFR View Post
They were 'good' when you reset it because you reset the 'baseline' for what your psi will be at. If I put 40 psi in my tires and reset my TPMS, that will set the minimum (give or take a few psi). The next morning, if it's cold enough, my tire pressure will drop to around 32psi which will alarm the system that my tire is low even though it is not. Once your tires heat up, temps will rise and all will be fine. (I can see actual pressure and temperature readings of my tires on my iDrive).

To alleviate: Reset your TPMS on a cold morning with your tires cold and you'll never have this issue.
It was around 32 degree's this morning according to the temperature reading in the car. If what you say by resetting the TPMS on a cold morning with my tires cold will prevent this from happening again I should be fine, because that's exactly what I did this morning.

Thanks for the information, really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #10
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Wow, you've got something working as designed on your BMW and you're upset about that? Okay....
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      11-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
Wow, you've got something working as designed on your BMW and you're upset about that? Okay....
I wouldn't say upset! Just annoying! When you pay $70k+ for a car $8k on wheels and tires you don't expect crap like this to happen regardless of the weather changes! Also, these are Nitrogen filled tires I was informed shouldn't give me these false readings. I can deal with it...but you can't expect the wifey to! It is what it is
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
rntaylor137.00
      11-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #12
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
Not upset!!! Believe me I appreciate the fact that it lets me know when the tire the pressure is low! I'm sure you like myself have owned a car that the only warning you got when the pressure in a tire was low is when you notice the car pulling to the left or right or that god awful sound of a completely flat time.

Also, I understand how tire pressure can change with fluctuation in the temperature. (I live in Maryland and yesterday was pretty nice out versus this morning). But, like I said earlier I thought it was funny that all 4 tires were "low" at the same time. Especially when I drove the car no more than 10 hours earlier, and none were "low".
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Also, I understand how tire pressure can change with fluctuation in the temperature. (I live in Maryland and yesterday was pretty nice out versus this morning). But, like I said earlier I thought it was funny that all 4 tires were "low" at the same time. Especially when I drove the car no more than 10 hours earlier, and none were "low".
If the temperature dropped overnight by a substantial amount of degrees and all four tires were reading low, then that is correct.

Did you not add air for running in colder ambient temperatures, and then reset?

I know I have to add air in winter months as the temperature drops off, to keep the optimum working pressure. If I don't, tires will be running too low a working pressure.
Appreciate 1
wjbender345.50
      11-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #14
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
If the temperature dropped overnight by a substantial amount of degrees and all four tires were reading low, then that is correct.

Did you not add air for running in colder ambient temperatures, and then reset?

I know I have to add air in winter months as the temperature drops off, to keep the optimum working pressure. If I don't, tires will be running too low a working pressure.
Thanks for the input. I plan on checking the pressure and or putting some air in the tires if need, before I "VOTE" (My little go vote plug) this evening.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #15
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Then you parked it, it got cold during those 10 hours, and they were all low based on tire pressures during your last reset. Working exactly as designed, I don't see what would you like the system to do, ignore the pressure drop ?

If you want it to be more consistent during temperature drops, consider inflating them with nitrogen at your local tire shop. It will keep pressure at consistent levels with temperature changes.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #16
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Then you parked it, it got cold during those 10 hours, and they were all low based on tire pressures during your last reset. Working exactly as designed, I don't see what would you like the system to do, ignore the pressure drop ?

If you want it to be more consistent during temperature drops, consider inflating them with nitrogen at your local tire shop. It will keep pressure at consistent levels with temperature changes.
Hold up!?!?! What is wrong with you man! You need to tone it down and relax! Did you personally design this sensor? Do you own some BMW stock? Are you related to Franz Josef Popp? Read through the entire thread and you will see this issue has been resolved.

FYI...When I said it was a nice day yesterday, it wasn't like it was 90 degrees and then the next morning it was 32 degrees. It's fall season, comfortable during the day, chilly in the morning and at night. And like I said earlier in the thread the car is garaged kept so it wasn't like it was sitting out in the "freezing" cold all evening. BTW...My wife's F15; which is parked right next to my vehicle didn't have any "low" tire pressure warning.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #17
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Cold air is denser than hot air. Tire pressure will ALWAYS be higher in the summer than the winter, given the same volume. That's why it's recommended to check the pressure every month or so. Tires should always be checked when cold. We don't get enough of a daily temperature swing here to get warnings like this and we rarely get to freezing but for short periods overnight.
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      11-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #18
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntaylor
All 4 tires have low tire pressure because it's 32 Degree's outside...smh
This is classic case where 24x7 monitoring results in shoot the messenger.

For years, every tire manufacture's tire lose pressure when air becomes more dense every fall.
Appreciate 1
rntaylor137.00
      11-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #19
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Hold up!?!?! What is wrong with you man! You need to tone it down and relax! Did you personally design this sensor? Do you own some BMW stock? Are you related to Franz Josef Popp? Read through the entire thread and you will see this issue has been resolved.
Beautiful post #20, very nice.
Which part of my response indicated I wasn't relaxed ?

You appear to be just completely clueless about how drop in temperature affect tire pressure and how tire sensors work, few of us tried explaining, but you're clearly not willing to listen.

Welcome to the forum. Keep reading, there's lots of useful info, you might learn a lot, perhaps even how to respond to posts politely.
Try to listen what other people have to say though, I mean, at least you can do if you start the thread in a public forum.
Appreciate 1
rntaylor137.00
      11-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #20
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

3 words, Ideal Gas Law
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2016, 11:24 PM   #21
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I wouldn't say upset! Just annoying! When you pay $70k+ for a car $8k on wheels and tires you don't expect crap like this to happen regardless of the weather changes! Also, these are Nitrogen filled tires I was informed shouldn't give me these false readings. I can deal with it...but you can't expect the wifey to! It is what it is
Wait, so you got aftermarket wheels that are losing tire pressure. Even less of a reason to blame BMW.

This is not BMW's fault (especially with aftermarket wheels). I've had this happen in 2 of my VWs and the Audi. It's physics.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 11:28 PM   #22
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Wait, so you got aftermarket wheels that are losing tire pressure. Even less of a reason to blame BMW.

This is not BMW's fault (especially with aftermarket wheels). I've had this happen in 2 of my VWs and the Audi. It's physics.
who said I'm losing tire pressure who said I'm blaming BMW also aftermarket wheels or not I was still getting the same issue with my stock wheels! I'm just saying it's annoying and I've dealt with it for the last few years so calm down

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 11-09-2016 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0