2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Special Order BMW 535i xDrive, 3000 miles, 7 Concerns...

01-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
king///amg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i xDrive

Special Order BMW 535i xDrive, 3000 miles, 7 Concerns...

I am a new member to the forum and would like to say Hello to everyone

History: I special ordered a 2011 BMW 535i xDrive in June, 2011, which arrived in August 2011 in the following configuration:

- Black Sapphire Metallic
- Cinnamon Brown Interior
- Anthracite Wood
- Sport Package
- Premium 1 Package
- Premium 2 Package
- Convenience Package
- Anthracite Headliner

To date, the car has approximately 3000 miles and unfortunately at this present time is at my BMW Service Center.

I took the car to my BMW service center on 27 Dec, as I was experiencing the following issues and figured to get them checked out while I was on Holiday recess:

1. Throttle lag when taking off from a standstill, car is jerky, hesitates.
- This one has been reported many times on the forums, so I am not too worried about it.

2. RPMs jumping on cold idle. RPMs bounce from low to high then settle down after some time.
- This one too has been reported by several F10 owners so I can let this one go too.

3. On cold starts, when shifter is put into reverse, RPMs dip (rough) to a point where car/engine wants to stall. Does not occur once car warms.
- This is a concern. My BMW Service Center replaced the MAF and called me a couple days ago saying that this has not fixed the problem. He said that they are in touch with BMW Engineers to further diagnose the problem. Any ideas? Only occurs on cold starts.

4. Vehicle stalled once when rolling down the driveway. Had to restart in the middle of the road.
- Could be related to issue #3. I use Premium Fuel only.

5. Driver's side soft close door latch gets stuck preventing the door from closing. This has happened 3x.
- BMW Service Center said they could not duplicate. Annoying but I can live with it, I guess...

6. Check for Software updates.
- On them to check.

7. Rattling sound from underneath car/engine on cold starts. Sound goes away after the car warms.
- The BMW 535 loaner that I was given does the same thing. I read somewhere that this could be related to the exhaust valves opening then closing.

Although some of these are minor, still an inconvenience for a car that only has 3000 miles.

Last edited by king///amg; 01-08-2012 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Items 1 to 4 sounds related to each other, something in the fuel system is cutting off, perhaps the infamous HPFP. Making your car a candidate for lemon. How long has the car been at the dealership? Keep track and hopefully you can just lemon the car without too much trouble (with the dealer).

Item 5. I wouldnt live with that trouble, this is a special order car and you paid for that feature. Find someone at the service department who has the patience that can emulate the issue. Not a safety issue but still, it should work.

Item 7. Sounds like the brake system doing its self check. If its the sound that happens around 9-10 mph right under the drivers footwell, then that's probably the brake checking.

I hope you get these things sorted out. Just keep the lemon law on mind. I did when I was dealing with brake self check. I didn't believe it at first but after trying several cars that had the same issue, then I'm somewhat satisfied that it was normal.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
davesf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi DSB, black nappa

agreed... sounds like you have one broken or misaligned door part and one engine problem. i'd push for them to diagnose the door problem even if they can't reproduce it.

on the engine.. wasn't there a known fuel pump spec problem on that engine? i think someone else reported similar trouble caused by a turbo pressure hose kink. regardless of what it is, with all those symptoms it sounds like something fixable.

Past [ 2005 Audi S4 ] [ 1998 Subaru Legacy GT ]
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
X5er_Driver
BMW Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by king///amg View Post
I am a new member to the forum and would like to say Hello to everyone

History: I special ordered a 2011 BMW 535i xDrive in June, 2011, which arrived in August 2011 in the following configuration:

- Black Sapphire Metallic
- Cinnamon Brown Interior
- Anthracite Wood
- Sport Package
- Premium 1 Package
- Premium 2 Package
- Convenience Package
- Anthracite Headliner

To date, the car has approximately 3000 miles and unfortunately at this present time is at my BMW Service Center.

I took the car to my BMW service center on 27 Dec, as I was experiencing the following issues and figured to get them checked out while I was on Holiday recess:

1. Throttle lag when taking off from a standstill, car is jerky, hesitates.
- This one has been reported many times on the forums, so I am not too worried about it.

2. RPMs jumping on cold idle. RPMs bounce from low to high then settle down after some time.
- This one too has been reported by several F10 owners so I can let this one go too.

3. On cold starts, when shifter is put into reverse, RPMs dip (rough) to a point where car/engine wants to stall. Does not occur once car warms.
- This is a concern. My BMW Service Center replaced the MAF and called me a couple days ago saying that this has not fixed the problem. He said that they are in touch with BMW Engineers to further diagnose the problem. Any ideas? Only occurs on cold starts.

4. Vehicle stalled once when rolling down the driveway. Had to restart in the middle of the road.
- Could be related to issue #3. I use Premium Fuel only.

5. Driver's side soft close door latch gets stuck preventing the door from closing. This has happened 3x.
- BMW Service Center said they could not duplicate. Annoying but I can live with it, I guess...

6. Check for Software updates.
- On them to check.

7. Rattling sound from underneath car/engine on cold starts. Sound goes away after the car warms.
- The BMW 535 loaner that I was given does the same thing. I read somewhere that this could be related to the exhaust valves opening then closing.

Although some of these are minor, still an inconvenience for a car that only has 3000 miles.
I have the same issues as the op when it comes to 2 and 3, but 4 has not happened "yet." My 2012 535xi only has 1500 miles and it was acting in a similar matter starting at 700 miles. I relayed this to my BMW center and they acted as if this was normal engine behavior, which I know for a fact is not...I'm kind of at a loss at what to do there. The next nearest center is 4 hours away.

Last edited by X5er_Driver; 01-10-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
king///amg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i xDrive

Car is still at the dealership, received a phone call last night. They replaced the MAF sensor to correct the idle jump, stalling and stuttering in reverse. They said that after they put the new MAF sensor in, they wanted to cold start the following morning to see if this corrected the problem. They said that the problem got worse, in that the vehicle would no longer start anymore. They called BMW Engineers, and the latest is that they reset the adaptation values and the problem so far has been corrected. They will keep it for another night to see if all is well. Don't take no for an answer, push them so that they will do something. Dropped off the car on 27 Dec and it is now 10 Jan. Had they not given me a 535i loaner, I would have been really ticked off.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
X5er_Driver
BMW Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi M-Sport

I'll see if I can talk them into looking at it. Please let me know if your dealer can solve the issue.

Thanks,

X5er_Driver
Appreciate 0