2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Hid Kit

05-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #67
krugerjq
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X3 2d M Sport, F800GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrepairman View Post
when I have finalised design and completed electrical and safety tests, I will be confident of its long term performance and reliability. I have had it working for over 3 weeks now and no problems, but be warned it is not cheap to build but on the other hand will not damage your LCM and is re-usable on other cars should you change vehicles. I will keep posting progress
Any news on the thing?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #68
Crocket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520D Sport

My last car was an Audi Q5 which has Xenon headlights and Halogen fog lights. I decided to replace the yellowish foglights with brighter light bulbs similar in colour to Xenon bulbs. I bought a pair on EBAY which were advertised as direct replacements and Installed them. To cut a long story short my car which was 3 months old at the time when up in flames at a traffice lights in the middle of town. I noticed what I thought was steam coming from under to hood but soon realised it was smoke, I pulled over and as soon as I lifted the hood it burst in to flames. Fortunately a guy 2 cars back saw the fire and had a fire extinguisher and was able to come to my rescue. To make matters worse my warranty was invalid as I had changed the bulbs and the dealer would have seen that as soon as they investigated the cause. The total cost to repair it came to €8,500 Approx $12,000. My advise is to be 100% sure of what your doing and hopefully you won't end up like I did.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #69
SNOOPY 24
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11

I´ve the same problem with the poor quality of the standard H7 Halogen lights . My old E60 was with , the new F11 without Xenon´s . Just missed it.
To improve I was looking for better H7 bulbs , but after installing : it´s an improvement but not really satisfying . So I found at least the OSRAM H7 65 Watt , ~ 2100 Lumen , and ordered them . First test without problem .No error shown . Ok , planned at night for a short drive to see the `` improvement `` .
But here . after starting the engine , first error message left side , than later also right side and the flicker / flacker suddenly . Anyway , stopped the engine , restarted and looked stable now . After ~ 5 min drive , the flicker / flacker started again .
Did anyone try already the Osram 65 Watt bulbs ?
Want not to convert to HID H7 kits .
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #70
EL MEJOR
ALLDAY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I had problem on a HID kit I put in the fog on the E60. It led to multiple times of failure in the adaptive light module. After I took it off and put back to stock, the problems have gone away for good.

The dealer told me there were excessive power draws on the initial turned on which caused the voltage to spike beyond the manuf. spec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigimaster24 View Post
Thanks man. Yes they are 6000K oh the highs/lows and 3000K on the Fogs. 35w all around. I tried to go 55w on the lows but got an error when I had lows and fogs on at the same time even with the decoders,so I went back to 35w. It's not too much of an output difference IMO especially when the bulb is behind projectors.
I think the reason why that happens, or why people get the flickering is because the output is too strong coming from battery and its programmed for a certain wattage but if you add the relay harness it stores the power there and then supplies the bulbs. Hope this helps since i had a similar problem with my 09 328i. Went to a shop around my way in NY and they put the relay and I was god to go with 55w all around. Hope this helps. BTW heres an excerpt from ddm site as well speaking of such...

"Use the relay harness to connect HIDs to cars with very small gauge wiring that cannot supply the initial surge current required to light the bulbs reliably"
      06-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #71
SNOOPY 24
Registered
Rep

DonPhillion asked the question : How to fix the HID bulb ? The standard H7 bulb has the clip integrated in the socket .
Luigimaster 24 : you said that you used the HID kit from DMM . Are they also deliver some clips with the HID kit ??
Thanks in advance .
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #72
pingui15
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i 2011 F10

I have a 2011 F10 with no factory HIDs. I ordered a kit from stealthauto.com, with their anti-flicker/error correction and after I turned on the ignition the HID bulbs would shut off every 10 seconds. Does anyone know why this happened?

I recently ordered the kit Luigimaster24 used hoping this will solve my problem. Once I receive shipment and install I will share my results.

Any advice before then would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #73
SNOOPY 24
Registered
Rep

Pingui 15 , may be you can answer my question how to fix the new bulbs in the bulb housing . BMW repairman mentioned something with cutting the wires and remove the clips . Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #74
pingui15
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOOPY 24 View Post
Pingui 15 , may be you can answer my question how to fix the new bulbs in the bulb housing . BMW repairman mentioned something with cutting the wires and remove the clips . Thanks in advance
Snoopy: Once you remove your regular H7 bulbs from the factory socket, the chrome clips you’re talking about can be removed and reused with the aftermarket HID bulb. If you take a closer look the clips, they only snap on to the car's factory harness; you can use a flat head screw driver to snap them off, but be careful not to widen them open too much.

Once you remove the clips, you'll need to pull the new bulbs wires through the clip's opening. (Note: the aftermarket HID bulbs won’t have similar clipping mechanism, so you'll just have to pull the cables slightly to keep the bulb and clip together until you have install them back onto the headlight housing.)

I hope this helps, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #75
SNOOPY 24
Registered
Rep

pinguin 15 : thanks a lot !! Now I understood and what I like : can go back to Halogen if eg I sell the car . Anyway , still looking for an option to use the Osram 65 watt bulbs . Less risk IMHO . May be bmw repairman can say , if it´s possible to re-program the LCM that the higher amps vs the OEM 55 watt bulbs don´t cause the flickering and message : bulb failed when the engine is running .
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #76
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOOPY 24 View Post
DonPhillion asked the question : How to fix the HID bulb ? The standard H7 bulb has the clip integrated in the socket .
Luigimaster 24 : you said that you used the HID kit from DMM . Are they also deliver some clips with the HID kit ??
Thanks in advance .
Hey Snoopy , sorry for the late reply.

The DDM Tuning HID kits do not come with clips. You get , 2 ballasts, 2 bulbs and a few zipties in a HID kit from DDM tunings. Everything else has to be purchased separately
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #77
krugerjq
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

You guy's need to be very careful with the lights. I also installed a HID kit from Stealth Auto and my Footwell module packed up. The lights still worked but there was a alarm standing all the time. Something about left vertical aim control failed. Luckily my maintenance plan replaced mine. So I am back on the standard halogen lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #78
pingui15
Rep

Luigi,

I received my 35 watt Raptor Raptor HID Kit with error cancellation box and when i plugged them in and powered the car the HID low beam only stay on for 10 seconds and flicker once and then 10 seconds later they flicker again and on the third flicker they don't turn back on. Any idea as to why?

Why would it had worked on your car and not mine? How do I know if I have an F10 or F11? could there be a reason there?

What if I use a relay kit? will that be dangerous for the BMW internal wiring?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm starting to get frustrated. Thank!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #79
krugerjq
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingui15 View Post
Luigi,

I received my 35 watt Raptor Raptor HID Kit with error cancellation box and when i plugged them in and powered the car the HID low beam only stay on for 10 seconds and flicker once and then 10 seconds later they flicker again and on the third flicker they don't turn back on. Any idea as to why?

Why would it had worked on your car and not mine? How do I know if I have an F10 or F11? could there be a reason there?

That was what mine did and eventually my lights gave an error. The vertical aim control failed alarm stayed on all the time. I suggest you put your standard lights back and see if everything still works normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #80
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

It comes down to draw of the luck! Some HID kits give the users nothing but expensive headaches and others have no trouble at all. In my case, over $1000 lesson and will never do it again. For the same $, I would now spend on something else towards, like rims/tires/suspension etc. No electrical components playing around.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #81
DonDhillon
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 (08) / 530d F10 (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingui15 View Post
Luigi,

Hey, what i found is that instead of using one error canceller, i used three of them in a series, and the flickering stopped. I did try with two but it still flickered but less often. Not sure if what the long term implications are though

E90 330i 2008 - Sparkling Graphite
F10 530d 2011 - Carbon Black (M-Sport Package)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #82
pingui15
Rep

HID FIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDhillon View Post
Hey, what i found is that instead of using one error canceller, i used three of them in a series, and the flickering stopped. I did try with two but it still flickered but less often. Not sure if what the long term implications are though
Thanks Don! I was able to make them work without any errors on the dash or flickering with 2 error canceller on each side. I guess now we all have a workaround to BMW's $1000 xenon package. Now if we can just have someone create a way to have the angel eyes brighter I will be completely satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #83
dominicanoex
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10

Still nothing on brighter angel lights.......
@pingui15 can you give links and details on all the things you had to buy for your HID kit?
35w or 55w, slim or regular, how many error canceler, ect..

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #84
anna1985beatufy
Registered
Rep
Drives: sencer

the important with car hid is the bright and price include its install .
you should chose different color temp for your high beam and low beam .
and you had better chose a free delivery ship shop .
i used VVME hid for years and easily install myself very easily. it is 6000k, 55w,it is lucky to me ,there is no issues for my car .
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #85
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Hello

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #86
eddie1681
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I think there are brighter angel eyes, its a replacement bulb type. My buddy installed it on this E90 which didn't come with the white angel eyes.

I can ask him where to get it if anyone is looking for some.

About HID kits, I got some for my Jetta VW , I used the AC units which cost a little more but its much better on start-up. I try many different kits, and I suggest to stay away from the Ebay kits they burn out pretty quick. Yes there is warranty but the cost for the restock and shipping you are better off buying another set.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #87
BD997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 550i M-Sport

I have a 550 with stock hid bulbs and want to swap the bulbs for 8000K for a more bluish look... Also what size are the fogs so I can turn those into HIDs...
      09-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #88
BD997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 550i M-Sport

[QUOTE=BD997;10473564]I have a 2011 550 with stock hid bulbs and want to swap the bulbs for 8000K for a more bluish look, what type of bulb do I need.. Also what type of bulbs are the fogs so I convert those into HIDs...