2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Question to F10 owners

12-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Question to F10 owners

Does anyone know if F10 (535 or 550) offer massaging front seats and soft close doors? I've looked on BMW Canada but doesn't look like this is an option. Is it possible to special order these options?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Does anyone know if F10 (535 or 550) offer massaging front seats and soft close doors? I've looked on BMW Canada but doesn't look like this is an option. Is it possible to special order these options?
I think you can rule it out in a 535i, as in 2012 they dropped the SCAD, which was part of the Convenience package. Now, the only way to get SCAD is order a 550i.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 12-30-2011 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
joey5622
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535xi

i don't think we ever got that option in canada.. same with the self parking i think (not sure tho)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
These options exist. I have both on my 550i. In the US the massage seats (called active seats) are part of the luxury seating package, and the soft close doors are part of the convenience package on the 550 only.

If you go to BMWConfig.com, and configure the US model you should be able to find the option code for these features. Give those codes to your dealer and ask for a quote to special order those option codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
These options exist. I have both on my 550i. In the US the massage seats (called active seats) are part of the luxury seating package, and the soft close doors are part of the convenience package on the 550 only.

If you go to BMWConfig.com, and configure the US model you should be able to find the option code for these features. Give those codes to your dealer and ask for a quote to special order those option codes.
The SCAD is Option 323 and the AFS is Option 455; however, they do not show to be available as stand alone options, so you would likely need to order a 550i with the ZCV Convenience Package and the ZLS Luxury Seating Package to get what you want.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
nordic@telia.com
Love V8!
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F8, McLaren 650S, P85D

I have both these options on my 550iX bought i Sweden.
Do not BMW offer all options on all markets?? Strange..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

Quote:
It is included in the Executive Package on the 550xi in Canada (Active Seats).
      01-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

What about soft close doors? Is it possible to order this option?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What about soft close doors? Is it possible to order this option?
Not in Canada, eh!
      01-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY 2012 F10 520d SE

Really strange country specific options! I have soft close doors on my 2012 520d.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandnipper View Post
Really strange country specific options! I have soft close doors on my 2012 520d.
In Canada we all live in igloos and use outdoor toilets therefore BMW has decided that starting in MY 2012 we can only get the 5 series in xDrive (except the 528). This is due to the fact that we are buried in snow up to our eyeballs all year round. Also, because of this frigid climate, we can’t get such luxury items as soft-close doors (we all know you must slam your door to get it shut when it is so cold so we heathens would just break the motors on the closures anyway). Oh, and did I mention that we must pay at least 20% more for the same vehicle as our brethren to the south.

Yup, strange country specific options is right. I have no idea why BMW does this.

BTW In the US the vehicles have speedometers that show miles on the outer ring and kilometers on the inner ring. Why do they show kilometers on the inner ring? Well, in case they drive into Canada. In Canada our BMWs are equipped with speedometers that have only kilometers. I guess BMW doesn't think we ever like to drive into the US (after all who would want to leave all this snow - even in August when it is the deepest).
      01-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbotcom View Post
In Canada we all live in igloos and use outdoor toilets therefore BMW has decided that starting in MY 2012 we can only get the 5 series in xDrive (except the 528). This is due to the fact that we are buried in snow up to our eyeballs all year round. Also, because of this frigid climate, we can’t get such luxury items as soft-close doors (we all know you must slam your door to get it shut when it is so cold so we heathens would just break the motors on the closures anyway). Oh, and did I mention that we must pay at least 20% more for the same vehicle as our brethren to the south.

Yup, strange country specific options is right. I have no idea why BMW does this.

BTW In the US the vehicles have speedometers that show miles on the outer ring and kilometers on the inner ring. Why do they show kilometers on the inner ring? Well, in case they drive into Canada. In Canada our BMWs are equipped with speedometers that have only kilometers. I guess BMW doesn't think we ever like to drive into the US (after all who would want to leave all this snow - even in August when it is the deepest).
LOL! That explains it all

Living on a small rural island floating in the sea between England and "mainland Europe", I'm used to being treated as the underdog twice over. I therefore feel a great affinity with what you say.

I'm really amazed that, in the UK, we not only retain "luxury" features such as soft close doors as BMW options on all 2012 F10/F11 models, but still also get the steering wheel on the correct side!

I bet our European masters in Brussels are working on that one!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandnipper View Post
I bet our European masters in Brussels are working on that one!
They (your Brussels Masters) are currently crafting a master plan that will be the mother of all conspiracies - a campaign to convince the British Parliament to revisit the abandonment of the Pound Sterling for the adoption of the Euro. What the conspiracy is all about is the bill that contains the law for the currency change will be included as part of an omnibus bill that will have hidden deep within the language the new law to change to the right hand side of the road. Of course, to lessen the burden on its driving citizenry the legislation will be introduced gradually in stages – the first stage of implementation will require only lorries, buses and coaches. Once those drivers have become accustomed to the new orientation stage 2 will kick in requiring all other commercial vehicles to switch sides. Again, once they have become comfortable with the new perspective the final stage will kick in with all remaining vehicles (predominantly private motorcars) moving over. Traffic engineers expect the whole process to take less than a year.
      01-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Haha good one. Funny but true. I guess Canadians are "special".
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They (your Brussels Masters) are currently crafting a master plan that will be the mother of all conspiracies - a campaign to convince the British Parliament to revisit the abandonment of the Pound Sterling for the adoption of the Euro. What the conspiracy is all about is the bill that contains the law for the currency change will be included as part of an omnibus bill that will have hidden deep within the language the new law to change to the right hand side of the road. Of course, to lessen the burden on its driving citizenry the legislation will be introduced gradually in stages – the first stage of implementation will require only lorries, buses and coaches. Once those drivers have become accustomed to the new orientation stage 2 will kick in requiring all other commercial vehicles to switch sides. Again, once they have become comfortable with the new perspective the final stage will kick in with all remaining vehicles (predominantly private motorcars) moving over. Traffic engineers expect the whole process to take less than a year.
Worryingly, there's many a true word spoken in jest!
Appreciate 0