2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Crossbars info ?

09-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
syednee
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012(535 GT, x5)

Crossbars info ?

Hi there
i am curious to know if the BMW cross bars for 535 and 535gt are the same ?
thanks guys for your help
      09-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

I doubt it, but may be wrong. The easiest way to check is the BMW website's accessories section...it will list the exact part number - just try I for both models. If I had to guess, I'd guess the roof widths are different. There is some adjustment available, but I'm not even sure if the sedan has the same wells and mounting points.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
syednee
Canada
Rep

thanks - i will check - how are you enjoying your gt ?
mind sharing pix ?
      09-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

I've had it a bit over two years, and still like it. It's really pleasant if you have to put a lot of miles on it in a day - drove 15-hours one day and didn't have a buzz or soreness when done.

I've added a few things: mudflaps front/rear, the rack (which I used to use to carry my trike), a trailer hitch, and towing wiring harness. I use a basket attached to the hitch to carry the trike now...no chance of forgetting and driving into the garage with the thing on the roof!). While I didn't have to have the wiring harness, I added it for both safety and to automatically disable the rear PDC when attached. The hitch is from Invisihitch and is bolt on, no cutting except in the bumper cover bottom (pretty much invisible). The wiring harness is from RIghtConnections in England. It's the only aftermarket that works without having the vehicle reprogrammed, and in the US, they won't do it on this model! Provides the PDC disable on the rear, enables the vehicle stability control logic, and triggers an additional centerline on the rearview camera to align with the hitch. While finding an interface that can make the lights work is fairly easy, but the other (three I found) to make the vehicle's full towing functionality work, your limited to the RightCOnnection or the OEM, or the one from the maker of the OEM hitch, Westphalia (sp?)). I also run winter tires on their own wheels (Michelin PA2, runflat, stock size, aftermarket wheel). FWIW, I picked up a set of wheel locks from McGard. They're made in Germany, and not sold in the US (although they do sell this brand here, they do not sell this series) that I think are much more secure than those sold by BMW (and got rated top in some tests in the UK).

Most of my driving now is fairly short trips, and as a result, am toying with getting an i3 when it shows up here, and keep the GT for trips and where I need more room. As a result, my fuel usage averages in the 21-23mpg range, but it's closer to 29-30mpg on a trip consisting of mostly highway. All in all, not bad, and a lot better than my last vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
syednee
Canada
Rep

i am happy you like the car - i love it ! i feel that its an extension of my living room - i just picked it up about 2 weeks ago - i am still in aww and stand and look at the car for now reason - its beauitful and a lot of people dont like it - i move out from a 2102 535 and love the room and space in the car - trunk is a little smaller but like i said, this room is an extension of my living room (audio, video, comfort, etc) - i was going to go for an x6 but i am glad i didnt - would have lost so much - thank you for writing back though - would you mind sharing a pic or two, specially with mud flaps (f/r) ?
much appreciated -
i will also look at the other items that you have recommended when its time to mod :
thanks.
      09-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by syednee View Post
i am happy you like the car - i love it ! i feel that its an extension of my living room - i just picked it up about 2 weeks ago - i am still in aww and stand and look at the car for now reason - its beauitful and a lot of people dont like it - i move out from a 2102 535 and love the room and space in the car - trunk is a little smaller but like i said, this room is an extension of my living room (audio, video, comfort, etc) - i was going to go for an x6 but i am glad i didnt - would have lost so much - thank you for writing back though - would you mind sharing a pic or two, specially with mud flaps (f/r) ?
much appreciated -
i will also look at the other items that you have recommended when its time to mod :
thanks.
Congrats on your GT, now come join the modding club

If you want to make your GT go from looking unique to looking (and driving) AMAZING, here are a few things you can do.

1. H&R Lowering Springs - Very inexpensive, improves handling and steering, retains comfort and ride, drop is perfect.

2. BurgerTuning JB4 (N55) - Massive hp and tq gains for an I6, untraceable when removed, really cheap.

3. Wheels - 20"s or 21"s are great, 22"s sometimes are too much and ruin the ride. There seems to be no major difference between 20"s and 21"s, however they both improve the look of the car (sleeker, along with the drop) and improve the feel. (If you anything from here, www.xowheels.com, lemme know and I can get you a good price). Forged wheels are also great, like MORR, HRE, D2 Forged, etc.

4. (if it is not a lease) Exhaust. Eisenmann and Meisterchaft make one for the 535, also a muffler delete is cheaper and sounds great as well. However, if you are leasing it, I don't necessarily recommend doing this if you don't want to revert it back to stock exhausts.

Good luck, and enjoy your GT.

Unlikely Twins, an F07 and 2002 by dinan_gt, on Flickr

Unlikely Twins, an F07 and 2002 by dinan_gt, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Took this with my phone today at the beginning of a bike trail. This is how I carry my trike. I used to carry it on the roof in a basket attached to the rails, but one too many close calls with the garage roof lead me to the hitch and this alternate way of carrying the thing. It is also MUCH quieter than on the roof - other than backing up, you don't really know it is there at all.
Attached Images

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 09-22-2013 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: I added a couple of pictures showing the receiver in and out - basically, when out, it's invisible.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
mikel51
Rep
Drives: 535ix gt

Where did you get the hitch?

I haven't found where to get a hitch form my 2011 535GT.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel51 View Post
I haven't found where to get a hitch form my 2011 535GT.
http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/bm...ailer-hitches/
Tell Daryl I sent you!

While their wiring harness will activate the lights, should you need it, it will NOT integrate into the vehicle's safety circuits (stability logic and modified rear-view from the camera) nor the PDC nor the bulb out logic. BMW won't sell you their's (the vehicle has no make-ready as sold in the USA), the OEM manufacturer's harness requires programming the vehicle (dealers here don't and won't do it!) which leaves the www.rightconnections.co harness I have. Now, if you only want it for a bike carrier, you do not need a harness.

As is typical with most hitches, it does NOT come with either the square receiver nor a ball hitch. Also note, the square hitch is NOT designed to tow anything, it is only for bike carriers. You need a ball hitch to tow an actual trailer (and then would need to decide what you want to do about a harness).

Unless you're laying on the ground, you can't tell it's there unless you have the receiver or a ball hitch inserted, it bolts on, no new holes (except maybe if you install a harness, but that's not visible either), and the only thing that gets cut is a hole out of the bottom of the bumper cover.
Appreciate 0