2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions DIY: BMW Performance Black F10 Grille Install & Removing Bumper Silver Trim

11-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #221
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
Soooo glad I found this thread (and read through the whole thing). I put on oven mitts and did the "pull out" method". Yanking top first, it literally took me 5 minutes to pull both sides off. Yes, scary to know that anyone can do this, but at least I didn't destroy my OEM grills in case someone does think of stealing these... but the new look... sooo much nicer.

Here are some before and after pics.
Looks Bada$$! i don't see why people are still removing all the clips and everything when the yank that bitc* out method works best ugh, i gotta get around to doing the double slats
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #222
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
Soooo glad I found this thread (and read through the whole thing). I put on oven mitts and did the "pull out" method". Yanking top first, it literally took me 5 minutes to pull both sides off. Yes, scary to know that anyone can do this, but at least I didn't destroy my OEM grills in case someone does think of stealing these... but the new look... sooo much nicer.

Here are some before and after pics.
Looks Bada$$! i don't see why people are still removing all the clips and everything when the yank that bitc* out method works best ugh, i gotta get around to doing the double slats
it may also do with weather and temperature. it seems this is much easier to do in warmer climates where the plastic tabs may be more flexible and easier to yank off.
      11-19-2016, 03:24 PM   #223
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
So for real? You guys are just yanking? I'm worried about breaking tabs or worse the oem grill itself.

I was trying so hard to take these out yesterday and failed miserably lol
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #224
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
So for real? You guys are just yanking? I'm worried about breaking tabs or worse the oem grill itself.

I think temperature has a bit to do with it. I'm guessing since you're in Vancouver, it's colder. I'm in Los Angeles, and when I did it, it was warm out.
      11-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #225
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

Quote:

It can in fact be yanked out, but it's not a good feeling at all lol. Especially since you are basically forcing the tabs through the slots when they are designed to be depressed before pulling. I'd recommend doing it the right way, because it eliminates the chance of breaking any tabs. I have pretty large hands and was still able to reach most of the tabs, but once you get a few released the rest loosen up a bit and can be pulled

You just need a torx screwdriver and some patience, I've changed mine 3 times on this car alone and haven't had much trouble

2016 535d M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha
Past: '14 328, '08 335, '04 525, '91 M5, '95 525
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #226
EZDozzit
Civilian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i M Sport

I'm one of those that removed it by just pulling it straight forward. Prior to doing so, I drove the car around the neighborhood for 10 minutes then parked it. The heat generated by the engine bay helps make the tabs more flexible. So I just grabbed the grill with both hands and gave it a nice tug. Popped right now. However, if you decide to go this route, make sure you tape up the bumper area immediately around the grill in case you jerk back, accidentally make contact and potentially scratch the bumper's paint. I'm not recommending you do it this way so it's proceed at your own risk. But I did want to share the point about warming things up a bit so the plastic gives a little easier. Thanks.
2014 BMW X6 35i - Black Sapphire
2011 BMW X5 50i - Titanium Silver (traded)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 11:23 PM   #227
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

do you have Pee Wee Herman arms? Yank that beeotch! don't make my wifey do it for you lol
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 06:45 AM   #228
Alcenos
Field Marshal 🔱
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition (F90)

Garage List
Maybe you guys just have more experience yanking than me. Sorry I could not resist but it just wouldn't budge when I tried. It could have been that I tried it in March, with a car that was cold and only 5 months old, but I'll go back to your yanking experience.
2002 E46 325i - Space Grey (retired)
1999 E46 328i - Orient Blue (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #229
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcenos View Post
Maybe you guys just have more experience yanking than me. Sorry I could not resist but it just wouldn't budge when I tried. It could have been that I tried it in March, with a car that was cold and only 5 months old, but I'll go back to your yanking experience.
I was going to make a Canadian joke but refrained....

Get the front end nice and warm (NOT hot) and then try. Either drive to warm up that area or let it set in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 05:31 AM   #230
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I was going to make a Canadian joke but refrained....

Get the front end nice and warm (NOT hot) and then try. Either drive to warm up that area or let it set in the sun.
Lol... or use a heat gun
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #231
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
I ended up taking a heat gun at it in low very breifly just to warm up the area.
Ended up working out but the last few lower tabs were still quite troublesome.
Ended up breaking one tab on the OEM ones. Oh well....It looks 100x better with the black grills!

Now the only thing left is to put the colour matching bumper reflectors on!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 02:17 AM   #232
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
sorry for dragging up an ancient post, but this googled up high and I got a question.

Can you part the grille out - can you separate the center slat sections away from the ring/or frame that holds it?

Let me explain why. I want to purchase a gloss black double slats grille for my F11. However I only want the gloss black slats, but I want to retain the outer frame in chrome for OEM look. Most of the aftermarket (in fact all) double slats grilles with chrome surrounds have a matte black slats. ... its the little things.

Any advice ? You guys who took your grilles out, do they look like they can be parted out themselves to replace inner slats?
      04-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #233
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
sorry for dragging up an ancient post, but this googled up high and I got a question.

Can you part the grille out - can you separate the center slat sections away from the ring/or frame that holds it?

Let me explain why. I want to purchase a gloss black double slats grille for my F11. However I only want the gloss black slats, but I want to retain the outer frame in chrome for OEM look. Most of the aftermarket (in fact all) double slats grilles with chrome surrounds have a matte black slats. ... its the little things.

Any advice ? You guys who took your grilles out, do they look like they can be parted out themselves to replace inner slats?
Yes, the grill is 2 pieces. I had NO success trying that with a Taiwanese grill innards and stock outers. I ended up separating the stock grill, painting the inside section flat black and reassembling the grill.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 07:36 AM   #234
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i had ordered 2 different grills from Ebay. one from Auto Technic which was their carbon fiber grill but i swapped out the center slats because they were flat black and i wanted gloss. now i'll be ordering the dual slats but still using my carbon fiber rings. so the Taiwanese grills not being able to separate could just be that brand you bought?

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #235
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i had ordered 2 different grills from Ebay. one from Auto Technic which was their carbon fiber grill but i swapped out the center slats because they were flat black and i wanted gloss. now i'll be ordering the dual slats but still using my carbon fiber rings. so the Taiwanese grills not being able to separate could just be that brand you bought?

It is two pieces but the clips didn't line up correctly with the stock grill.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #236
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is two pieces but the clips didn't line up correctly with the stock grill.
ah got it!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #237
BeerFST
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi Msport

so BMW never released a non-M LCI perf grill right? I just swapped mine this weekend and I intended to use the black slats with the chrome outer, but discovered that the tabs don't line up between the pre-LCI perf grill and the LCI chrome grill. The pre LCI perf is also missing the weatherstripping on the LCI chrome grill. Note I only discovered this during install or wouldnt have bought the OEM parts. Clearly all the posts i read were pre-lci to pre-lci conversions. so perhaps the taiwan vs oem issue is actually just a pre-lci to lci issue.

I confirmed with getBMWparts that they only carry the pre-lci perf. Is there a euro OEM one we can buy somewhere? the photo on their site actually shows a 10 slat perf grill, but it looks like a euro plate.

I guess now i have to decide between the dual slat non perf LCI M5 grill or just sanding/polishing my chrome one.

Lastly, I removed the torx and did it the "right" way and man was it a PITA. As for the gaps in at the hood and lights, I def had to push the bumper in to get the original washer positions to line up. The holes in the bumper are slotted, so there is some play in the final position of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #238
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerFST View Post
so BMW never released a non-M LCI perf grill right? I just swapped mine this weekend and I intended to use the black slats with the chrome outer, but discovered that the tabs don't line up between the pre-LCI perf grill and the LCI chrome grill. The pre LCI perf is also missing the weatherstripping on the LCI chrome grill. Note I only discovered this during install or wouldnt have bought the OEM parts. Clearly all the posts i read were pre-lci to pre-lci conversions. so perhaps the taiwan vs oem issue is actually just a pre-lci to lci issue.

I confirmed with getBMWparts that they only carry the pre-lci perf. Is there a euro OEM one we can buy somewhere? the photo on their site actually shows a 10 slat perf grill, but it looks like a euro plate.

I guess now i have to decide between the dual slat non perf LCI M5 grill or just sanding/polishing my chrome one.

Lastly, I removed the torx and did it the "right" way and man was it a PITA. As for the gaps in at the hood and lights, I def had to push the bumper in to get the original washer positions to line up. The holes in the bumper are slotted, so there is some play in the final position of the bumper.
I have a dual-slat w/chrome surround I got from, I think, China. The fit is excellent though it comes without the "gasket". I really don't think that matters...

Name:  IMG_1304_1.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  402.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1303_1.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  734.7 KB
Appreciate 1
khanyam4801.50
      07-14-2017, 03:26 AM   #239
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #240
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

Thanks Kevin for the write up!. In the near future, I'm going to paint my silver trim.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #241
AronL
Rep
Drives: 2015 535d

At some point my M-Sport lower grill got bonked. I am unable to pull it back into place. Could someone give me some advice on a fix?

(Sorry if this has already been covered!)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:26 AM   #242
h0tmetal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 523i F10

Great project - looks good !
Appreciate 0