2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum smell of diesel builds up in the cabin

08-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

smell of diesel builds up in the cabin

In my new 520d June 2011 delivery, I realized often when I am braking, a strong smell of diesel builds up in the cabin, I initially thought this was from traffic, but managed to test this with no cars around me, it is very likely to be from my car and only when braking, I guess with fuel/Gas tank in the back kind of make sense why this is only happening when braking. My wife also confirmed the smell.

Any one of you folks with this problem, I am booking my car with the dealer to get this checked out.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Seems like you got a problem. Stop by the dealer asap.
      08-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
sundance
Total Newbie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 520d SE

520d owner here: that definitely doesn't sound normal so as Edwin says, take it to the dealer without delay.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Went to the dealer today, no signs of any leaks, they checking with BMW Germany to work out what can be the cause behind this, nice to know the dealer did have a car they used with similar issue, apparently it stopped happening after couple of 1000 miles on the counter.

So I guess is wait and see. thanks folks for the advise.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Definitely abnormal - I have 10k miles on my F10 535d and even under heavy braking, I have never had the slightest hint of diesel fumes in the car.
Sounds as if you might have a problem with the tank vent.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks Jon, I be asking the dealer to look into the tank vent side.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
HUFFY
Rep
Drives: F11 520DM SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
In my new 520d June 2011 delivery, I realized often when I am braking, a strong smell of diesel builds up in the cabin, I initially thought this was from traffic, but managed to test this with no cars around me, it is very likely to be from my car and only when braking, I guess with fuel/Gas tank in the back kind of make sense why this is only happening when braking. My wife also confirmed the smell.

Any one of you folks with this problem, I am booking my car with the dealer to get this checked out.
I collected my 520dm 6/11/11. And I have the excact same smell of deisel/oil when braking. Check this...On a dark night drive the car, then brake to cause the smell, quickly raise the bonnet only from the catch (ie don't lift it fully up). You will see small ammounts of smoke from the engine drifting over the headlights in there glow. I can't find where this is comming from but BMW are sending their guy tomorow to check it (12 Nov). Will let you know, or please let me know what it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUFFY View Post
I collected my 520dm 6/11/11. And I have the excact same smell of deisel/oil when braking. Check this...On a dark night drive the car, then brake to cause the smell, quickly raise the bonnet only from the catch (ie don't lift it fully up). You will see small ammounts of smoke from the engine drifting over the headlights in there glow. I can't find where this is comming from but BMW are sending their guy tomorow to check it (12 Nov). Will let you know, or please let me know what it is.
Hi Huffy, my problem is now resolved, 1st we got the instructions to wait pass the 3000 km bar from BMW Germany, as some parts as new can produce the smell in question, as the smell when on beyond this mileage, my dealer when back to BMW Germany for other options, the car was booked in for 2 days , if not wrong the oil filter was replaced as instructed by BMW Germany, this resolved the issue, no smell since.
I never did check the bonnet and smoke, I am not sure if this was the case is my car as when 1st checked the engine side looked very clean no trace of smoke, the check was done to make sure I am not at risk of fire.
The smell in my car was when braking and also very strong when reversing in the morning at my office open air car park, I guess this was down to morning low temperatures.
I will double check with my garage that It was oil filter, and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
HUFFY
Rep

Quote:
Hi Huffy, my problem is now resolved, 1st we got the instructions to wait pass the 3000 km bar from BMW Germany, as some parts as new can produce the smell in question, as the smell when on beyond this mileage, my dealer when back to BMW Germany for other options, the car was booked in for 2 days , if not wrong the oil filter was replaced as instructed by BMW Germany, this resolved the issue, no smell since.
I never did check the bonnet and smoke, I am not sure if this was the case is my car as when 1st checked the engine side looked very clean no trace of smoke, the check was done to make sure I am not at risk of fire.
The smell in my car was when braking and also very strong when reversing in the morning at my office open air car park, I guess this was down to morning low temperatures.
I will double check with my garage that It was oil filter, and let you know.
Thanks martin, the BMW engineer came to my house today 14/11/11 and did indeed agree the smell wasn't right. However he couldn't find where it came from also. He assued me it wasn't deisel/oil/anti freeze etc. So no great problems with the car. I know new cars do smell a bit (burnt paint/exhaust etc) but this is a bit over the top. Lets hope it clears soon, I have only driven 150 miles so perhaps its still 'new paint' burn?. I will let BMW dealer know about a new oil filter after 3000k/m if needed. Please let me know any updates you get with your car, I'll do the same. Thanks agian.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Thanks martin, the BMW engineer came to my house today 14/11/11 and did indeed agree the smell wasn't right. However he couldn't find where it came from also. He assued me it wasn't deisel/oil/anti freeze etc. So no great problems with the car. I know new cars do smell a bit (burnt paint/exhaust etc) but this is a bit over the top. Lets hope it clears soon, I have only driven 150 miles so perhaps its still 'new paint' burn?. I will let BMW dealer know about a new oil filter after 3000k/m if needed. Please let me know any updates you get with your car, I'll do the same. Thanks agian.
Just for reference, the smell in my car was diesel like, and from day one too. the 3000 km was on the basis that new parts may be behind the smell when new and after few km back to normal, as the smell when on beyond the 3000 km BMW decided to change the oil filter, problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
HUFFY
Rep

Quote:
Just for reference, the smell in my car was diesel like, and from day one too. the 3000 km was on the basis that new parts may be behind the smell when new and after few km back to normal, as the smell when on beyond the 3000 km BMW decided to change the oil filter, problem solved.
Hi, my 520 is also band new (one week old). The smell i get is when the enginine is hot. Its OK on a motorway at 60/70 mph. However when you come to a standstill (ie brake) the smell blowes in from the car air vents. I visited the dealship and a mechanic went on a test drive with me. He agreed the smell was 'Awfull' and smelt like gearboc oil to him. The car is booked in for 21/11/11 for a day. All the 520's I test drove before purchasing mine were new/nearly new. And didn't have this smell problem. i don't think my wife and I can put up with this smell for 2000 miles, just to see if it may/may not clear? Surely BMW must know what new parts are likley to burn/smell and if they do, why is it only on some 520's?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Don't accept this 2000 mile line. I didn't have this smell ever (19,000 miles now) and nor have many others or it would have come up on this forum already.

I think you are being fobbed off and it's not good enough on a car costing almost £40,000
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
MMVI
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 something

Exactly the same.. When braking the smell enters the car, it's as if you are being followed by a cloud which catches up and pours in as you slow.

It is not all the time but very noticeable when it occurs. Car at 3200 now, 6 weeks old.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
HUFFY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVI View Post
Exactly the same.. When braking the smell enters the car, it's as if you are being followed by a cloud which catches up and pours in as you slow.

It is not all the time but very noticeable when it occurs. Car at 3200 now, 6 weeks old.
Thanks for your input 'MMVI'. Check this on your car. Get the engine hot. Drive with 'cold outside air' on air vents to your face. When driving all should be ok. Quickly pull to a stop, rock the car with the brakes also (I don't know if this worsens the smell or not) anyway. When the car comes to a standstill within 5 seconds the smell blows in from the air vents (put the fan on 3). You really don't need to put your nose over the vents, it stinks. I expect BMW to fix this fault. As I said before all the test 520's IO drove before parting with my cash were fine in every way. I'll post what the dealership does/says. Thanks Guys
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #15
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your input 'MMVI'. Check this on your car. Get the engine hot. Drive with 'cold outside air' on air vents to your face. When driving all should be ok. Quickly pull to a stop, rock the car with the brakes also (I don't know if this worsens the smell or not) anyway. When the car comes to a standstill within 5 seconds the smell blows in from the air vents (put the fan on 3). You really don't need to put your nose over the vents, it stinks. I expect BMW to fix this fault. As I said before all the test 520's IO drove before parting with my cash were fine in every way. I'll post what the dealership does/says. Thanks Guys
In my car the smell was bad when reversing too, hence I thought all along this was from the tank, i.e. when braking and reversing, it was also on with the vents closed, I guess you can test this too.
I agree with not buying into the 2000 km part it is not on for a car like the 5 series, get the dealer to check with BMW head office, I believe my one was down to the oil filter, this was replaced, the smell simply vanished.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
Terry Cope
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520SE

I also have the smell of Diesel in my new 520 BMW (Oct 2011)it is going in to the dealership in the morning 18th November for this problem i have currently covered 2350 miles and noticed this within the first couple of days but thought it may be a new car smell i get this when coming to a stop it is there but quickly dissapears

I will let you know what they say/do about it

TC
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #17
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Did they give you any explanation? I really can't see how the oil filter could be related.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Did they give you any explanation? I really can't see how the oil filter could be related.
Not really, apparently they followed instructions from German engineers on how to resolve this, I am planning to call them and find out if it was the oil filter only or some some other parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Not really, apparently they followed instructions from German engineers on how to resolve this, I am planning to call them and find out if it was the oil filter only or some some other parts.
I'd be interested to hear the outcome, please keep me informed - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
HUFFY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I'd be interested to hear the outcome, please keep me informed - thanks.
For Terry Cope. Hi Terry did the dealer find out what was wrong with your 520?. Mine is booked in for 21 Nov. It would be handy if you have the info and if it was resolved. My car seems to be getting worse. Any thoughts on dangerous gasses being vented into the car, after all if we don't know what the smell is, is it safe to drive? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #21
Madmcs
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M-Sport Plus Edition

Very interesting to read this.

I' ve had the same problem since getting my 520d back in Oct. It would generally happen after braking hard or reversing. Took the car back to the dealer finally after 1000 miles as I too thought that it could be overspill somewhere and that the smell would go away.

Dealer took me back to work and upon pulling into our car park they could smell the problem. The guy from the dealer immediately said it smelt like burning transmission oil. However, after having the car for the day they couldn't find a problem. There was no problems registered on the BMW PUMA system and it was also noted that their demo car had done the same for a couple of thousand miles and then had gone away, so they recommended I ran it a little longer.

The problem does seem to have been less since it was at the dealer, but it is still there on occasion and the car has nearly 2000 miles on it now.

Does this happen on both manuals and autos? I have the sports auto and wondered if it was something to do with that. I did also run the car quite a lot in sports mode initially, which I haven't as much since getting it back from dealer, but not driven it hard as obviously I've been running it in. I did wonder whether sport mode had something to do with it too?

I'll try smoke over the headlights test tomorrow to see what I can see.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #22
HUFFY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmcs View Post
Very interesting to read this.

I' ve had the same problem since getting my 520d back in Oct. It would generally happen after braking hard or reversing. Took the car back to the dealer finally after 1000 miles as I too thought that it could be overspill somewhere and that the smell would go away.

Dealer took me back to work and upon pulling into our car park they could smell the problem. The guy from the dealer immediately said it smelt like burning transmission oil. However, after having the car for the day they couldn't find a problem. There was no problems registered on the BMW PUMA system and it was also noted that their demo car had done the same for a couple of thousand miles and then had gone away, so they recommended I ran it a little longer.

The problem does seem to have been less since it was at the dealer, but it is still there on occasion and the car has nearly 2000 miles on it now.

Does this happen on both manuals and autos? I have the sports auto and wondered if it was something to do with that. I did also run the car quite a lot in sports mode initially, which I haven't as much since getting it back from dealer, but not driven it hard as obviously I've been running it in. I did wonder whether sport mode had something to do with it too?

I'll try smoke over the headlights test tomorrow to see what I can see.
Hi, My car went in for checking today 21 Nov, no oil leaks/spills were found, however the mechanic did smell the fault. Their job sheet says checked lots of things (all ok), no leaking oil etc. But they replaced the 'Microfilters'. I test drove the car after and it is 50 times better now, hardly any smell at all. It is only very very very slight now, which I take to be resisdue 'stink' in the ventilation pipes/ ventilation tubeing. Obviously if the 'micofilters' get 'stinky again in the comming weeks, I'll return the car again. But my fingers are crossed that all is ok now. Will let you know. Hopes this helps you other guys with the same problem.
Appreciate 0