2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes First Post 535i xDrive Vibrations

11-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
moshii
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

First Post 535i xDrive Vibrations

Hello all. Newbie to the forum!

I'm about to go in and buy a 2012 BMW 535i xDrive M Sport tonight at the dealer but they mentioned there being a vibration when driving/braking.

The first time I went to see it, it was still going through state inspection. I was notified about the vibration issue and told that they were going to replace the brake rotors. I got a call today and they decided that the rotors were not going to be replaced and it was going to be sold as it is with a 60-day powertrain warranty only non-CPO because it passed state inspection.

Should I make the purchase? I did a kbb/NADA lookup for the car value and the asking price on the car is more-or-less the same as kbb dealer "fair purchase price" without tax + state title/license/registration fees and several thousand less than the NADA value for "clean retail". Looks like someone came up today looking to buy the car but I had it reserved with an appointment tonight.

Any experts think the vibrations can be something other than a simple swap of the 4 brake rotors? Opinions will be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by senshuu View Post
Hello all. Newbie to the forum!

I'm about to go in and buy a 2012 BMW 535i xDrive M Sport tonight at the dealer but they mentioned there being a vibration when driving/braking.

The first time I went to see it, it was still going through state inspection. I was notified about the vibration issue and told that they were going to replace the brake rotors. I got a call today and they decided that the rotors were not going to be replaced and it was going to be sold as it is with a 60-day powertrain warranty only non-CPO because it passed state inspection.

Should I make the purchase? I did a kbb/NADA lookup for the car value and the asking price on the car is more-or-less the same as kbb dealer "fair purchase price" without tax + state title/license/registration fees and several thousand less than the NADA value for "clean retail". Looks like someone came up today looking to buy the car but I had it reserved with an appointment tonight.

Any experts think the vibrations can be something other than a simple swap of the 4 brake rotors? Opinions will be greatly appreciated, thank you!
While I am by no means an expert, that sounds very shady to me. For a dealer to ignore a vibration issue (which they brought to you in the first place) seems absurd to me. While it could be a simple rotor issue, there are plenty of other problems that can cause vibrations while driving (axle, bent wheels, engine issues, etc). Any dealer that would flat out tell you the car is "as-is" despite a known issue would never get my business. There are currently tons of F10s on the market, so I would take my time and shop around for a car with a bit better feel to it. I would also highly recommend purchasing through a reputable bmw dealer and spend the extra money on the extended maintenance warranty if its in your budget (depending on your skill level with car repairs). Anyways, thats just me. The dealer you are describing sounds like they have someone else willing to buy the car already, so they could care less about fixing the vibration issue for you. Who knows if they even mentioned the vibration to the next buyer. Good luck with whatever you decide, hope you get into the car you're looking for!

2016 535d M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha
Past: '14 328, '08 335, '04 525, '91 M5, '95 525
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
moshii
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmwjunkiee View Post
While I am by no means an expert, that sounds very shady to me. For a dealer to ignore a vibration issue (which they brought to you in the first place) seems absurd to me. While it could be a simple rotor issue, there are plenty of other problems that can cause vibrations while driving (axle, bent wheels, engine issues, etc). Any dealer that would flat out tell you the car is "as-is" despite a known issue would never get my business. There are currently tons of F10s on the market, so I would take my time and shop around for a car with a bit better feel to it. I would also highly recommend purchasing through a reputable bmw dealer and spend the extra money on the extended maintenance warranty if its in your budget (depending on your skill level with car repairs). Anyways, thats just me. The dealer you are describing sounds like they have someone else willing to buy the car already, so they could care less about fixing the vibration issue for you. Who knows if they even mentioned the vibration to the next buyer. Good luck with whatever you decide, hope you get into the car you're looking for!
Thanks for your thought!

The dealership is an Audi dealer with a good reputation. I think they intended on replacing the rotors because they told me in the morning that the parts would be delivered tomorrow and it should be ready some time in the evening; but a buyer showed up a little later and stressed he would pay for the brake rotors repair and he wants to buy today so they decided "as-is". Essentially the phone call was them asking me, "You have the car reserved. Do you want it? We have a buyer who is already willing to buy as it is".

One of my family members took my current car and hit a pole in the parking lot
I could wait for the repairs with a rental but the car has been having issues as of late so I just decided I'd take the check and put it towards purchasing the F10.

There is a 528i xDrive I have looked at but this M Sport 535i xDrive is only $3k more. I couldn't decide if I should go for the M Sport 535i or settle for the 528i...It was an easy choice until I got the call today about them deciding not to replace the rotors.

I don't see any harm in going in to at least test drive since I have it reserved for the next 48 hours without an obligation to buy. I'll take a mechanic with me today to see the car and decide after the test drive with more of a "walk away" mentality. Just needed a second opinion. Thanks again.

Last edited by moshii; 11-08-2016 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
thebmwjunkiee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by senshuu View Post
Thanks for your thought!

The dealership is an Audi dealer with a good reputation. I think they intended on replacing the rotors because they told me in the morning that the parts would be delivered tomorrow and it should be ready some time in the evening; but a buyer showed up a little later and stressed he would pay for the brake rotors repair and he wants to buy today so they decided "as-is". Essentially the phone call was them asking me, "You have the car reserved. Do you want it? We have a buyer who is already willing to buy as it is".

One of my family members took my current car and hit a pole in the parking lot
I could wait for the repairs with a rental but the car has been having issues as of late so I just decided I'd take the check and put it towards purchasing the F10.

There is a 528i xDrive I have looked at but this M Sport 535i xDrive is only $3k more. I couldn't decide if I should go for the M Sport 535i or settle for the 528i...It was an easy choice until I got the call today about them deciding not to replace the rotors.

I don't see any harm in going in to at least test drive since I have it reserved for the next 48 hours without an obligation to buy. I'll take a mechanic with me today to see the car and decide after the test drive with more of a "walk away" mentality. Just needed a second opinion. Thanks again.
That makes a bit more sense to me, I'd just be a little turned off by a dealer basically saying "well, someone else wants it, so now if you want it its as-is". I'm sure its something simple, but I think you have the right idea with taking a mechanic. If it turns out its an easy fix, I'd go for it. I have driven "baseline" models for most of my BMWs (525, 328, etc) but finally was able to get into my current 535d Msport. Its such a better feeling as opposed to "settling", and I couldn't be happier with the 535. The Msport package makes a huge difference, I can't believe I went this long without getting it. In the end, go with your gut. I think you will be disappointed down the road if you settle for the 528. Good luck and definitely post some pictures if you end up getting it

2016 535d M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha
Past: '14 328, '08 335, '04 525, '91 M5, '95 525
Appreciate 0