2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Sold my F11 to get a ...

08-25-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Sold my F11 to get a ...

... Tesla model S. Burning oil? Hopefully never again!
BMW makes much better vehicles overall so I will gladly go back to BMW when they make a F11-size fully electric vehicle with decent range.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
JesseIan
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport, G37X, Tesla MS

How do you like the range on the Tesla? From what I hear the range kind of kills the car for anything longer than a so-so ranged commute to work and back, but then again that's just word of mouth from non-owners
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
DaIceCreaMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550XI

Congrats, I looked at leasing 60 kw model s version but settled on getting a 2011 550xi instead. Do post pictures and your experience once you get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

How common is the Tesla model S in Sweden and what to they cost there?

I guess you know about the no tax situation on EV cars in Norway so there's lots of Tesla's and other EV cars here.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep

JesseIan: Are you sure you don't mix it up with the BMW i3 or Nissan Leaf? For them your statement is true.
I've had no problem with range. I did get the large battery though.
200 miles in 70 mph is no problem. In 50 mph, I guess closer to 300 miles.

remmib: Not common at all. I think there are about 150-200 in total out of a total of 4.6 million cars (not counting trucks, busses, etc)
Price of the Tesla in my config was about $110000. Price I paid for my F11 (520d but quite some options) in 2011 was about $68000.

But as I said, I'd gladly go back to BMW once the produce a 5-series-size fully electric with at least equal the range of the Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Michael V.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

I love the look of the tesla from the outside (inside needs work), but still I don't like the idea of only have electric and now gas motor to fall back on. Regardless congrats on the new car!
      08-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Best of luck with the Tesla. I applaud their efforts, but I think the car needs some serious work. The interior feels very sub-par for a car in that price range - not to mention it's missing some very basic features found in cars 1/3rd the price. But then again, most buyers just don't care - you're buying the car for one primary reason (it's electric!) and that overshadows quite a lot.

The interior screen bugs me, though, too. I have two main issues with it. The first is that it's bright, large, and distracting. I can't imagine driving around with a computer screen that size glaring in my face day and (especially) night. The second issue is the lack of tactile feedback. I can reach for, grab, and control a knob, button, or other physical control - but a touch screen requires me to take my eyes off the road to guide my finger to the right location of the screen. I think it was done more for the wow factor than true ergonomics, safety, or practicality.

As for the electric part, I'm torn on it. In one way, as a tech guy, I love it! I love that it's clean, can be "refueled" in the garage, etc. But I also love performance - and speed in silence is just too strange for me. I need the roar of a combustion engine - it's like watching an action movie with the sound turned down... it doesn't appeal to all of your senses. I'm also weary of the range limiting aspects. While Tesla did an AMAZING job with the range of the 85kw version, it's still not usable for me as an everyday car because I frequently drive 300, 400, or even 500 miles sometimes in a single day for a business trip. Let's not even get into family vacations. Until there's ubiquitous availability of charging stations (that offer either hot-swap batteries or sub 10 minute charges), I don't think the general public will be able to adopt them... they'll remain relegated to those who can either avoid long distance travel or have the luxury of multiple vehicles.

But it's nice to see them being supported - that's how technology evolves... consumer investment is a big part of it. I'm torn on whether electric is the right way to go, though. Hydrogen also has very strong benefits - including utilization of existing delivery systems, much better energy density/storage, avoidance of battery manufacturing/disposal issues (including loss of charge over ownership lifespan), and certainly important - preservation of a roaring engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

good luck and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #9
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Any Superchargers in Sweden yet?

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Best of luck with the Tesla. I applaud their efforts, but I think the car needs some serious work. The interior feels very sub-par for a car in that price range - not to mention it's missing some very basic features found in cars 1/3rd the price. But then again, most buyers just don't care - you're buying the car for one primary reason (it's electric!) and that overshadows quite a lot.

The interior screen bugs me, though, too. I have two main issues with it. The first is that it's bright, large, and distracting. I can't imagine driving around with a computer screen that size glaring in my face day and (especially) night. The second issue is the lack of tactile feedback. I can reach for, grab, and control a knob, button, or other physical control - but a touch screen requires me to take my eyes off the road to guide my finger to the right location of the screen. I think it was done more for the wow factor than true ergonomics, safety, or practicality.

As for the electric part, I'm torn on it. In one way, as a tech guy, I love it! I love that it's clean, can be "refueled" in the garage, etc. But I also love performance - and speed in silence is just too strange for me. I need the roar of a combustion engine - it's like watching an action movie with the sound turned down... it doesn't appeal to all of your senses. I'm also weary of the range limiting aspects. While Tesla did an AMAZING job with the range of the 85kw version, it's still not usable for me as an everyday car because I frequently drive 300, 400, or even 500 miles sometimes in a single day for a business trip. Let's not even get into family vacations. Until there's ubiquitous availability of charging stations (that offer either hot-swap batteries or sub 10 minute charges), I don't think the general public will be able to adopt them... they'll remain relegated to those who can either avoid long distance travel or have the luxury of multiple vehicles.

But it's nice to see them being supported - that's how technology evolves... consumer investment is a big part of it. I'm torn on whether electric is the right way to go, though. Hydrogen also has very strong benefits - including utilization of existing delivery systems, much better energy density/storage, avoidance of battery manufacturing/disposal issues (including loss of charge over ownership lifespan), and certainly important - preservation of a roaring engine.
My thoughts exactly. After all this is their first attempt at a luxury car so who knows, maybe in a decade Tesla will be outselling BMW. I can't fault anyone for buying a Tesla but I cannot give up the internal combustion engine just yet.

Hope you enjoy your new car OP!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Enthusiast View Post
Thanks! But I would actually enjoy an electric BMW more. But they don't make any that is big enough. Hopefully one day.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Enthusiast View Post
My thoughts exactly. After all this is their first attempt at a luxury car so who knows, maybe in a decade Tesla will be outselling BMW. I can't fault anyone for buying a Tesla but I cannot give up the internal combustion engine just yet.

If BMW made the F10 as a pure electric with the same ride, handling and performance of my 535X Drive with a 300 mile range at a cost premium that wasn't more than around 20% over my car, I'd buy it in a second.

I've had my F10 10 months and have 10,000 (6,000 miles) on it. I seldom drive mere than 100 kms (60 miles) in a day so I don't think I'd have a range anxiety problem. The irony is that for the tesla to really pay off, it needs to be a higher annual mileage car, which means that unless you are in the supercharger belt, eventually there is somewhere you won't be able to get to when you need to. Guys like me who travel short distances won't have range anxiety because we don't go too far, but at the same time, hard to justify the extra cost to avoid fossil fuels.
      08-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
If BMW made the F10 as a pure electric with the same ride, handling and performance of my 535X Drive with a 300 mile range at a cost premium that wasn't more than around 20% over my car, I'd buy it in a second.

I've had my F10 10 months and have 10,000 (6,000 miles) on it. I seldom drive mere than 100 kms (60 miles) in a day so I don't think I'd have a range anxiety problem. The irony is that for the tesla to really pay off, it needs to be a higher annual mileage car, which means that unless you are in the supercharger belt, eventually there is somewhere you won't be able to get to when you need to. Guys like me who travel short distances won't have range anxiety because we don't go too far, but at the same time, hard to justify the extra cost to avoid fossil fuels.
Yes, exactly. I think most buyers right now are those who can:

1. Justify the price - let's face it, the Tesla is an expensive car, and nobody is really buying it to "save money."

2. Drive short distances regularly - to justify owning this car, and using it regularly, you'd need to have a fairly regular commute.

3. Have another gasoline car - even with a 200 - 300 mile range, most privileged buyers (those who can afford a $100k sedan) are GOING to drive a longer distance from time to time - or at least believe they will. And while I have no statistics to back this statement, my gut tells me that the Tesla is one of multiple cars in the owner's garage - so range anxiety doesn't exist... they just take the "other car" which may be a BMW, MB, Audi, Jag, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Yes, exactly. I think most buyers right now are those who can:

1. Justify the price - let's face it, the Tesla is an expensive car, and nobody is really buying it to "save money."

2. Drive short distances regularly - to justify owning this car, and using it regularly, you'd need to have a fairly regular commute.

3. Have another gasoline car - even with a 200 - 300 mile range, most privileged buyers (those who can afford a $100k sedan) are GOING to drive a longer distance from time to time - or at least believe they will. And while I have no statistics to back this statement, my gut tells me that the Tesla is one of multiple cars in the owner's garage - so range anxiety doesn't exist... they just take the "other car" which may be a BMW, MB, Audi, Jag, etc.
This.

Out of all my dad's friends that own a Tesla, every single of them has a second or third car for themselves and a different car for their wife. Here in the Midwest, let's just say chargers are like spotting a unicorn. Here in Omaha, there are just 2 charging stations, one at the BMW dealership and another one near downtown.

My dad's looking into replacing his car with a Tesla. My parents only have one car since they are both retired and don't do much. However, they have an extremely routine driving schedule. It's basically in the morning to drop off my sister and pick her up in the evening. Also, afterwards maybe go shopping? So they drive no more than 40 miles in any given day.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #15
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfa372 View Post
This.

Out of all my dad's friends that own a Tesla, every single of them has a second or third car for themselves and a different car for their wife. Here in the Midwest, let's just say chargers are like spotting a unicorn. Here in Omaha, there are just 2 charging stations, one at the BMW dealership and another one near downtown.

My dad's looking into replacing his car with a Tesla. My parents only have one car since they are both retired and don't do much. However, they have an extremely routine driving schedule. It's basically in the morning to drop off my sister and pick her up in the evening. Also, afterwards maybe go shopping? So they drive no more than 40 miles in any given day.
Yes. BUT!
There's a whole world outside the US... Most places won't see any electric infrastructure at all any time soon. Then there's places like Europe, Japan, parts of China, etc. that have or is building a good electric infrastructure and with much much shorter distances usually traveled.
Our 2nd car is an old Renault and I don't want to go more than a few miles tops in that if I can avoid it. So no, most europeans don't have 2-3 other cars as well. Most have the Tesla as their only long range car.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #16
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

The longest trip we take with our kids each year (so far) is 250 kms (150 miles). Assuming the hotel at our destination has a 110V plug in for us, we'd have all the juice we need to get home. Just wonder in -30C weather with the heater running all the time and lower battery capacity - what the true range would be.

Rich or not so rich, I think part of the allure of the Tesla is being able to drive by gas stations without ever having to stop to fuel up. If your commute or daily use is less than the car's range, it doesn't really matter how far it can travel does it?

I'd buy one just so I could give my money to our hydro electric (mostly clean) utility as opposed to the mostly foreign oil industry.