2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 550I LCI thudding when accelerating problem

03-29-2024, 08:55 AM   #1
macho_f10
Macho_F10
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 550i LCI

Garage List
F10 550I LCI thudding when accelerating problem

Hello, first post here.
I have this issue with my BMW 550i LCI f10 N63tu with 100,000km.
When accelerating 75% or 100% in sport mode it feels "chuggy". Like every ⅓ of a second, it thuds and boosts or holds back the acceleration. Almost as if the wheels are slipping and gaining traction but that definitely not the case.

It feels sluggish when doing this but there is a noticeable jerking feeling like thug thug thug thug thug faster and faster which makes me accelerate slowly. I know what it feels like to floor the car and when this happens it's definitely not going as fast as it should. It feels almost like a build-up of speed and acceleration and it feels similar to changing gears really fast but the rpm stays within one gear and the changes are fast or a single gear change over and over (the sensation of the car jolting or slowing). The car slowly stops accelerating with each thud then goes back to accelerating within a 3rd of a second..

My dad's 2014 srt jeep 6.4L v8 had a similar thudding thugging laggy acceleration sound and feeling and it turned out to be the dif. Different cars and different problems maybe.

Also, another issue I have is when I'm either semi-flooring it like 50%-100% and reach 150 km/h (on a private track ofc) it says "Drivetrain. possible to Continue the journey, see a BMW service". I feel these are two unrelated problems though. Has anyone had a similar problem or know what might be going on?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 11:00 AM   #2
kohsin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550ix

I had the similar issues with my N63. Eventually, it threw the code. Miss fire.
I replaced the engine filters and spark plugs, the issues went away.
At the time, the filters were more than one year and the plugs were more than 30k miles .
Start from there if yours were installed for a while.
Appreciate 0