2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Do you have the adaptive LED's? - Get in here please! :)

10-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
NeoCortex
Private
Rep
Drives: 530xD LCI

Do you have the adaptive LED's? - Get in here please! :)

I just received my Germany imported 2014 530D Xdrive LCI with the nice Adaptive LED's.

I'm unable to get the cool 'splitting' of the beams and the other nice features tested. It seems like nothing happens when I place the Lights dial at the A(Auto) position. is there anything else that needs to be activated before the Adaptive LED's start doing their magic?

Does the high beam assist need to be ON too? I have tried it with no luck beside some auto ON/OFF of the high beam.

Beside the fact that I haven't testes all features of the car yet, the first impression is very good :P
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Yes high beam assist needs to be on with the headlights in auto mode. Works well but I was unable to see the split as demonstrated in a video I watched.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
NeoCortex
Private
Rep

Thank you skypx

I read somewhere that the US edition of the adaptive LED's act a bit differently regarding the 'extra' features. Do you think it's possible that it's the case with your car?

Another question: Can it be right that I need to activate the high beam assistant each time i start the car? I would like the adaptive lights to be on all the time as standard (If i can make them work)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
fafafoooey
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Imp Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCortex View Post
Beside the fact that I haven't testes all features of the car yet, the first impression is very good :P
Let's not talk about your testes, please.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Sjoerd
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: MY18 G11 750i, MY13 911S x51m7

It works on mine; I love the feature. Could be a little bit quicker though in response but as a first development top marks!
      10-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

My US spec '14 with LCD does not split the beam like in the video. And they don't dip the high beam on only one side when a car comes at me. The highs are on or they are off when I use the assistant.

They sure are nice and bright though, I'll give them that! I wasn't expecting them to be so much "whiter" and brighter than the Xenon's that I've grown used to.
      10-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

The Adaptive LEDs do work exactly as advertised.

Only 2 requirements. Light Switch in Auto position, and Auto High Beam switch needs to be activated.

I get the beam splitting and the high beam auto-switching.It is best noticed on darker roads without any street lighting.
- Now that it has started to get dark in the evenings in the UK; I almost see this every day while returning from work.

Works like a charm, every time, love the feature.
      10-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
NeoCortex
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafafoooey View Post
Let's not talk about your testes, please.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
NeoCortex
Private
Rep

I'll have to do some more testing, maybe it didn't work because off too much light pollution from other sources.
I really hope it works on my car as it was the main reason for getting the LED's
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thank you skypx

I read somewhere that the US edition of the adaptive LED's act a bit differently regarding the 'extra' features. Do you think it's possible that it's the case with your car?
Its possible, but I'm not sure. I do know the system is way better than the high beam assist in the E70 X5.

Quote:
Another question: Can it be right that I need to activate the high beam assistant each time i start the car? I would like the adaptive lights to be on all the time as standard (If i can make them work)
Yes, just like the auto wipers.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
NeoCortex
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx View Post
Its possible, but I'm not sure. I do know the system is way better than the high beam assist in the E70 X5.

Yes, just like the auto wipers.
Can these small annoyances be removed by coding? ;-P
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Can these small annoyances be removed by coding? ;-P
Sorry, I'm not a coder so I have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'm wondering if the new features are country dependant? The fact that it does not appear to be working as per the video might be down to your country/state having not approved it yet? Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
kube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I'm wondering if the new features are country dependant? The fact that it does not appear to be working as per the video might be down to your country/state having not approved it yet? Just a thought.
It appears that you are correct -- according to a blurb I saw on a CNET.com, apparently in the US the laws are that you must have headlights that have high beams and low beams, and that they either be on or off. Guess the dipping and split functions somehow don't make the car qualify (although they do have both high- and low-beam modes). The CNET video did say that they will be coming to the US soon.... but once again, behind the times here.

I'm sure there's some software in the car to set that, but buried where we can't find it. I ordered the LEDs on my 535d, so maybe we'll figure out how to enable!

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
NeoCortex
Private
Rep

A quick update,

I just drove my car on some very dark roads and a highway with other drivers to mimic the promo video that we all been drooling over lately. The Adaptive LED's doesn't work in my car. The high beam assistant works fine but there none of the other features :S

I have checked this option within the i-drive menu too(sorry about the crappy photo):

And by the way I'm located in Denmark and the car is a direct import from a German dealer so everything should work unless the features aren't allowed within Germany?.... I hope someone can help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
NeoCortex
Private
Rep

An idea - maybe the car automatically shuts the intelligent adaptive lights off when the car is in another country where the lights could be prohibited? (i don't know if the lights are prohibited here in Denmark but I'm just thinking outside the box for a moment)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kube View Post
It appears that you are correct -- according to a blurb I saw on a CNET.com, apparently in the US the laws are that you must have headlights that have high beams and low beams, and that they either be on or off. Guess the dipping and split functions somehow don't make the car qualify (although they do have both high- and low-beam modes). The CNET video did say that they will be coming to the US soon.... but once again, behind the times here.

I'm sure there's some software in the car to set that, but buried where we can't find it. I ordered the LEDs on my 535d, so maybe we'll figure out how to enable!

Quote:
A quick update,

I just drove my car on some very dark roads and a highway with other drivers to mimic the promo video that we all been drooling over lately. The Adaptive LED's doesn't work in my car. The high beam assistant works fine but there none of the other features :S

I have checked this option within the i-drive menu too(sorry about the crappy photo):

And by the way I'm located in Denmark and the car is a direct import from a German dealer so everything should work unless the features aren't allowed within Germany?.... I hope someone can help.
I realize this is confusing, since we are looking at different countries/cars.

The high beam assist in the 2014 M5 (US) will dim the lights independently. So it not all on or all off as with the X5. I'm just not sure if the lights will split when approaching another vehicle as seen in the video. I'll try to test it tonight to see what happens.

Also, there is no option to enable high beam assist via the iDrive. Only a button on the turn signal stalk (split/1 info, 1 high beam assist).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
A quick update,

You are mixing 2 concepts. The screenshot (picture you have posted) is not connected to Adaptive LED option. This option arranges the throw of the light from Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive or vice versa. This options adjusts the light beam to the appropriate height/ throw as would be required if you drove in the UK instead of Europe. In previous cars, one had to access the adjuster switch under the wheel arch or on the light module (induce bonnet). This screen now allows you to do this by just selecting the option.

This will not change the behaviour of light splitting or high beam (if anything, it will actually disable the feature). You need to keep this check-box unticked.
      10-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

I have a 2014 LCI with the LED's. They do not work like the videos you see on line. When the auto lights are on and the high beam assist is on when an oncoming car approaches the high beams turn off, no separation of the beams. Check your build sheet with the option codes. If there's a 5AP decoding for no dazzle, that means that feature for the "no dazzle lights" has been turned off at the factory. As far as coding you can code the high beam assist to automatically turn on when the headlights turn on. As far as coding the "no dazzle" feature in the videos, I'm not sure it's possible. Some are saying that the hardware is missing to make them work, but my thoughts are, why would they decode something not to work if the hardware is not there?
      10-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #20
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kube View Post

Due to outdated US laws regarding headlamps, the advanced features of the LED headlights are disabled in the US.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...headlight-rule
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #21
Centralcoastgolf
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup o' Joe View Post
Due to outdated US laws regarding headlamps, the advanced features of the LED headlights are disabled in the US.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...headlight-rule
You have to wonder why so many people are so uninformed about this feature. Any dealer should have to disclose to a customer that certain functions of the options they are buying only work in other countries.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #22
NeoCortex
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
You are mixing 2 concepts. The screenshot (picture you have posted) is not connected to Adaptive LED option....

This will not change the behaviour of light splitting or high beam (if anything, it will actually disable the feature). You need to keep this check-box unticked.
DOH!! - Thank you, i'll give it a go with this unticked asap!
Appreciate 0