2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Paddle Shifters? Who uses them!?

10-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
Paddle Shifters? Who uses them!?

They seem alot better downshifting then up. I feel like there is a noticeable lag between shifts. I hit + from 1st to 2nd... and I hit the rev limiter almost every time.

Anyone experience this?

Marc
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatbmw
They seem alot better downshifting then up. I feel like there is a noticeable lag between shifts. I hit + from 1st to 2nd... and I hit the rev limiter almost every time.

Anyone experience this?

Marc
Rev limiter? The auto tranny will shift into a higher gear anytime the RPMs hit the upper limit threshold.

But, that's just a tranny program and not the per se rev limiter function.

The auto tranny won't let you hurt the engine.

Now, the rev limiter function kicks in and cuts the fuel supply if the engine overspeed limit is reached. Like if you were in neutral and you floored it for a while.

But, to be clear, a manual shift override as a result of the threshold limit being reached does not involve the "rev limiter function"
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Rev limiter? The auto tranny will shift into a higher gear anytime the RPMs hit the upper limit threshold.

But, that's just a tranny program and not the per se rev limiter function.

The auto tranny won't let you hurt the engine.

Now, the rev limiter function kicks in and cuts the fuel supply if the engine overspeed limit is reached. Like if you were in neutral and you floored it for a while.

But, to be clear, a manual shift override as a result of the threshold limit being reached does not involve the "rev limiter function"
Well when I hit 6kish RPMs.. and Im using the Paddle shifter to shift into 2nd gear it seems like or thought i was hitting it.. cutting off fuel or something It lags then finally hits 2nd.. Thats why I thought there was a delay using the paddle shifter..
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatbmw View Post

Anyone experience this?

Marc
Yeah, the paddle shifters are slow. You just have to learn to pull the paddles at 6k or earlier, or just let the transmission shift when the engine hits max revs.
      10-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
Yeah, the paddle shifters are slow. You just have to learn to pull the paddles at 6k or earlier, or just let the transmission shift when the engine hits max revs.
ya thats what i thought, when your in M1 it doesnt shift for you I thought.. only s1. I really didnt test it or plan too, just figured since I hit the limiter maybe i was just too slow.. Ill just hit it sooner 5500ish.

From a stop being in s mode is fine, because it actually lets you pull from 1st.. but even rolling at low speed ( 5mph or so) it goes into 2nd gear (s2).. thats why I even put it in M1 so i can do a rolling start in 1st.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
ya thats what i thought, when your in M1 it doesnt shift for you I thought.. only s1. I really didnt test it or plan too, just figured since I hit the limiter maybe i was just too slow.. Ill just hit it sooner 5500ish.

From a stop being in s mode is fine, because it actually lets you pull from 1st.. but even rolling at low speed ( 5mph or so) it goes into 2nd gear (s2).. thats why I even put it in M1 so i can do a rolling start in 1st.
According to the owners manual the Sport Automatic transmission will automatically shift at maximum revs in M unless you're in Sport+ or DSC is off or DTC is on.
If one of those three conditions was true, you probably were hitting the rev limiter.
      10-25-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
ahh, ok.. then I did hit it. because I was in Sports + with DSC completely off.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor
Quote:

According to the owners manual the Sport Automatic transmission will automatically shift at maximum revs in M unless you're in Sport+ or DSC is off or DTC is on.
If one of those three conditions was true, you probably were hitting the rev limiter.
Good find. I was wrong. I never knew that.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Mine feels the same way. On the LCI it is possible to hit the rev limiter because BMW changed it to not upshift on its own depending on which mode you are in.

It downshifts great with the paddles but I agree the up shifting is delayed when you are up there with the revs.

It's quicker to just let the car do it on its own.

I've only been using the paddles to help with the break in process....

Alan
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Mine feels the same way. On the LCI it is possible to hit the rev limiter because BMW changed it to not upshift on its own depending on which mode you are in.

It downshifts great with the paddles but I agree the up shifting is delayed when you are up there with the revs.

It's quicker to just let the car do it on its own.

I've only been using the paddles to help with the break in process....

Alan
I hit the rev limiter in M and sport+ too on my 2013.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
ClassM
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i msport/M5 E60/M3 E9x

I hit rev limiter all the time too.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
I did confirm I know someone asked, when you turn off DSC completely it takes car out of Sports or sports + mode.

So annoying I dont get that concept.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

The only time I use the paddles is when I see or pass a cop I pull back on the (-) paddle to drop down a couple of gears to slow down without hitting the brakes, thus not having the brake lights come on so I don't look so guilty.

Last edited by Chili Palmer; 11-02-2013 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Interesting there's a difference...
Appreciate 0