2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Normal-Sport-Sport+ F10 520d SE

04-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Normal-Sport-Sport+ F10 520d SE

I have a F10 520d SE with sports auto, this gives me the options of normal, sport and sport + settings. I tend to use sport the most with only the chassis option ticked which gives me a better steering feel. Now yesterday I used sport+ for the first time. I checked in the idrive and you can't configure sport+ so what exactly does sport+ do? Does it turn the traction control / stability control off / down
I did a 100mile journey home last night down the M6 and half the journey in sport and the other half in sport+. In sport+ the car feels much more planted and stable, throttle is instant and is much much more fun to drive.......why?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E61 View Post
I have a F10 520d SE with sports auto, this gives me the options of normal, sport and sport + settings. I tend to use sport the most with only the chassis option ticked which gives me a better steering feel. Now yesterday I used sport+ for the first time. I checked in the idrive and you can't configure sport+ so what exactly does sport+ do? Does it turn the traction control / stability control off / down
I did a 100mile journey home last night down the M6 and half the journey in sport and the other half in sport+. In sport+ the car feels much more planted and stable, throttle is instant and is much much more fun to drive.......why?
Thanks
Selecting sport+ immediately initiates a lower gear, delays up-shifts and omits 8th gear, which is why it feels more responsive. It also partially disables traction control, which allows limited rear wheel spin. I've tried it a few times on standing starts around a corner or exiting roundabouts and it's great fun when the rear end slides out, but I don't know when the traction control cuts back in, as I've always chickened out and lifted off.
I asked the regional BMW tech rep if the chassis and steering and steering tighten up another notch from sport to sport+ and he said no, but I remain convinced that they do.
Like you, I have sport configured to chassis only on my 535d as it really emphasises the difference - I just wish the straight line steering was equally impressive.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Like you, I have sport configured to chassis only on my 535d as it really emphasises the difference - I just wish the straight line steering was equally impressive.
Ref the straight line steering I find that my car is pretty good BUT it still has a very very slight feeling of driving in a light cross wind (worse on some surfaces than others) even when it's not windy. I found that Sport makes it better and sport + even better. I drove yesterday in sport with the gear selector over to the left (only 7 gears) and then switched into sport+ and it made the straight line feeling better. In sport and sport+ modes I then manually change up into 8th gear while on the motorway so have the benefit of the better feel of Sport+ but 8th gear for economy. I don't thnk I'll get into too much bother with the traction turned down as mines only a 2.0d , can imagine a 535d to be a bit wild without the electronics keeping it in check!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d M Sport auto

Garage List
Quote:
In sport and sport+ modes I then manually change up into 8th gear while on the motorway so have the benefit of the better feel of Sport+ but 8th gear for economy.
Ahh, I didn't know you could manually shift up to 8th when in sport/sport plus! I'm going to try that tomorrow! It's the biggest problem with Sport mode - the lack of 8th gear when cruising.

Last edited by Titanflux; 04-21-2011 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

The 535i I tried with the sport auto, would not allow 8th in sport, would drop back out if you tried to engage it manually, or on the paddles.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The 535i I tried with the sport auto, would not allow 8th in sport, would drop back out if you tried to engage it manually, or on the paddles.

HighlandPete
It will if the gear selector is in the normal position, just flick it left into manual and you can have 8th gear via the paddles or selector. If you then want to go back to auto mode just flick the lever right (then left again if you want sports auto)

Last edited by k44ENT; 04-21-2011 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:52 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
It will if the gear selector is in the normal position, just flick it left into manual and you can have 8th gear via the paddles or selector. If you then want to go back to auto mode just flick the lever right (then left again if you want sports auto)

I know what you are saying, that you need the manual position to step' change, or hold the paddle changing in manual mode.

What you describe, is that with the transmission option ticked in the i-Drive setup? I'm sure the 535i I tried wouldn't allow 8th to be held on the manual setting either. I know it worked with the option 'unticked'.

BTW, what you describe is what I'd really expect, as it works that way with most other BMW sport setups.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #8
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I know what you are saying, that you need the manual position to step' change, or hold the paddle changing in manual mode.

What you describe, is that with the transmission option ticked in the i-Drive setup? I'm sure the 535i I tried wouldn't allow 8th to be held on the manual setting either. I know it worked with the option 'unticked'.

BTW, what you describe is what I'd really expect, as it works that way with most other BMW sport setups.

HighlandPete
Just chassis option ticked in sport settings in i-drive, no option to alter sport+ in i-drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:33 AM   #9
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Been trying this with great success. Sport or sport plus mode, with gear selector in left-hand M/S position, use flappy paddles or the gear lever to move up into 8th and is stays there when cruising. Only problem is hitting traffic and remembering that you are in manual mode and whilst obviously the car will get you out of under/over revving, it can leave you at 1,300 or so revs with little power or torque to acceleterate again unless you change down manually or go back into D.

This works no matter whether chassis only, drivetrain only, or both, are configured n iDrive.

Sport auto box here, no VDC, etc.
      04-27-2011, 03:38 AM   #10
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Nice one, I just can't stop using Sport+ myself. Titanflux, do you feel a difference between sport and sport+, as in throttle response and steering feel? Am sure the car feels tighter in Sport+, again only have sport Auto and no VDC.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 03:42 AM   #11
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I don't feel any difference to be fair. Except that can spin the rear wheels up!