2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rattle from empty passenger seat area

03-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #45
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG/DCT (gone!)

Well, pretty much solved the headrest rattle issue.
It has those kind of set up positions where it locks/ clicks (when pulling up/ down)
When I leave the headrest between any of those two positions its very very rare for it to rattle. Just give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #46
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Check for the seat belt buckle contacting the door.
I had this. I resolved it by putting some adhesive black padding on the side of the passenger door where the buckle was hitting.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #47
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Enthusiast View Post
I had this. I resolved it by putting some adhesive black padding on the side of the passenger door where the buckle was hitting.
What kind of padding did you use a and can you say where you got it?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 05:47 AM   #48
Paul Stig
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 335I, F10 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
It is indeed from the empty passenger's seat headrest.
I also had the one you mention but defeated it as you suggest. Now the buckle is always resting on the side support of the seat and it doesn't rattle against the B pillar.

Did anyone here take the car in to solve the headrest rattle problem or is everyone trying to solve this their own way?
Regarding to the headrest rattle, I put some soft sponge (around 10mm thickness) between the leather headrest pillow and plastic headrest set. A simple way to test if your rattle noise is coming from the headrest, I found when I pull the headrest to the longest position, I can hear the rattle noise when I shark the plasitc set, and easily found which side is loosening, for my case, I put the sponge at right side of the gap between leather headrest pillow and plastic headrest set.
after that, no more rattle noice.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #49
1917DOB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i E93 LeMans/SaddleBrown

Source of Front Passenger Sport Seat Rattle (Solved)

After a maddening two weeks of trying to track down the source of the new rattle in my 2013 335i Sedan, I've re-produced it on the front passenger seat. It sounds similar to a bo-ing, bo-ing sound... Like the sound of a door stopper the type that is wound like a coil, if you flick it...

There is a track that moves the center sport bolster inward and outward. I can't figure out exactly why the track is producing a resonating rattle noise over bumps or rough patches of road, but there is a consistent foreign rattle noise that will come from my front passenger sport seat regardless of the fact of a passenger being seated in it or not.

When tapping the "stationary underside of the front passenger sport seat" in the center, right behind the movable center bolster, I was able to consistently re-create the bo-ing, boing, bo-ing rattle noise, the same way it would sound when travelling over a speed bump, or rough road. This rattle noise is resonating from the center sport seat bolster track...

Before figuring this out today, I've pulled apart the panels under my dash, pulled up the door jam covers, and pulled out the middle cover where the seatbelt hides behind. This noise has been tricky to find because the sound would appear to be floating in either the dashboard, under the dashboard, in the door, in the door jam, or around the seat, but until I tapped the under part of my front passenger seat in just the right way, it wouldn't re-produce the sound when parked. There was also some gentle tapping of various spots with a large rubber mallet. Planning to visit my BMW dealership at 8am tomorrow to have them figure out a permanent repair. Hopefully my peace of mind will return... At least until the next mysterious rattle appears...

To be continued...

Hope this helps at least one of you re-gain some driving pleasure...
2013 328i Sedan Alpine White / Beige Dakota (Sold)
2011 335i Sedan BSM / Black Dakota (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 12:39 AM   #50
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 550i ///M Sport

i have the same issue, check for the seat belt buckle and roll the seat back a little bit.