2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 5-series spyshots keep rolling in, this time in space gray

07-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #45
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Eye View Post

What are you talking about... You act as if the E60 has some huge crazy side sculpting going on. The E60 is quite a bland design except for the front headlights. Most modern BMWs have fairly flat sides with just the right bumps here and there, if you don't like that styling facet of the car then you just dont like BMWs at all. Please don't bring up the E36 or E39. Im sorry, but the 90s and black mouldings on the sides are gone and they won't come back.

Now return to the current spy photos and look at it more carefully, theres obviously the main swash line which runs along the door handles similar to what the E90, X5, X6, F01, F07, etc.. have Also if you notice the black taping on the bottom of the side panel, it actually bumps out, so there is a curve there that will give alot of depth to the side view, especially with a metallic color.

Now the Front and rear of the car are still taped up, and those are some of the most distinctive and important styling features of any car, those haven't been revealed yet, so being critical of something you haven't seen yet just makes you look... well... I won't say it.
Acutally I was being sarcastic about how much one line on the side of the car could help with its look. Yes, BMW's tend to look some what plain from the side, I would replace the word plain with classy...

I think you posted a bare-bones pre-lci e60, here are a few that are a little more dramatic and still not M5's...

There is a dark blue LCI e60 550i in my neighborhood, everytime I see it I drool, maybe I'm biased towards it...

And please, no harsh words on black-trim cars, my 2003 does not look like its from the 90's, haha, I've considered having it all painted body color, but I kinda like the red and black theme, it helps to break up the sea of red on the sides of the car while still looking classy.

It'll be nice to see the f10 stripped...

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy430 View Post
Just reiterating what 135Eye said... you should take a closer look at the current 5 series. i can bet you a lot of money that one "crease" along the side will be more prominent on the F10 than on the current 5 series. basically i think a way to describe what the F10 will be like is this: it will be the current 5 series, sculpted more, more character added to the big sheetmetal areas (hood, trunk, sides of the car), and then soften ALL the lines of the car without taking away any of the "depth" of the character lines, creases, sculpting, etc.

that's a very basic way to took at it and obviously the front is pretty much completely redesigned. like you said it being a shrunken version of the new 7, i agree with that but i believe it will be more "sculpted/aggressive" than the 7, and the M5 even more aggressive! . i think you will be surprised at how much better the F10 will look compared to the current 5... but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
All of that sounds good to me!

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #46
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinontoxic View Post
At least they did not use photocopier as Audi does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy430 View Post
haha ya.. when i saw the A5 sportback i was like really?!

ya, IMHO... WAY too closely designed. kudos to Audi if they pull it off and have good sales between all 3 models but like you said with them being photocopies... reminds me too much of what GM did making the exact same vehicle with different badges (this is a little different tho)... and everyone knows how GM is doing right now, and that was a factor in why they went down. i just think those A4, A6 and A5 sportback models make buyers stressed because can't make their mind up. then they go to say BMW and are like ok, i want the 5 series or i want the 3 series which are hugely different and then thye just have to pick what engine and what packages they want from a decently short list. i think BMW does quite a good job of packaging and making it easy for customers so they have less decisions to make. for me personally, i hate it when they offer soo many options and it takes you forever to decide and wonder do i want that, well what if i dont' get that option and get this option instead... hmm.... hmm.. hmm. but when there are less packages, easier decision, less stress (you're spending between like $35,000 and $120,000 and anywhere in that range I think you'd like to make sure you're getting the right one and what you like), and i think more satisfied.

on the other end of the scale, the Aston martins, rolls royce, bentleys, lambos, etc where you can specify exactly what you want down to the stitch color, that works FANTASTICALLY!! they're not mass market cars and owners want their vehicles to stand out and be different and be unique and exactly to their taste. there is a different mentality when purchasing a very expensive, exotic car than purchasing a "lower end" vehicle.

i can see a $120,000 BMW being more "customizable" than say the 3 series but as an overall trend i believe less is more in terms of "options" on vehicles. i think there is an overall trend that the more money ppl pay for something, the more they want to be able to customize and also equally important, the less ppl pay for something, the more they want customization to be simpler.

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion!

Oh ya! I had the same thought.... why a 4-door A5? Isn't that an A4?
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #47
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
I do like the silhouette. And I think it is going to be an evolution of the new 7, but in good way, i.e. more aggressive/sporty.

Lol at all the jokers who are making up their minds (bland???) on the car before the cameo is off.

Thew newer BMW designs are quite complicated, and this will be no exception.

I may get this car, once the M sport version inevitably comes out a year or two after launch.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #48
BMW-ALPINA
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50, F11 M550d, E70 X5

Garage List
2009 730dA  [0.00]
Hmm.. what about this? To difference tail lights.. I do think the left one looks best..

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #49
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 2000 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.S View Post
Hmm.. what about this? To difference tail lights.. I do think the left one looks best..

hmm.. i kinda like the one on the right. the left one looks just too close to the new 7... not bad, but i think it needs to be different on a different car.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #50
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: OGV

ahhh... G35?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #51
BMWMB
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C450 AMG Sport

When do you guys think the official pictures will be revealed? December 2009?
Appreciate 0