2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Road Trip Impressions - 2012 528i

09-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
skiajl6297
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Road Trip Impressions - 2012 528i

Just got back from a road trip from the DC Metro area to the Portland Maine area. Just had to share what a joy it was to use this car for a significant road trip. (2012 528i with MSport.)

I love this car, and it is nearly perfect for marathon drives. Drove a total of about 1450 miles including both ways, and then all of the driving while we were in Maine for a week. I was impressed with all of the following:

1. Made it to Kennebunk Maine on one tank of gas from DC suburbs. Averaged around 68mph, drove moderately, and ended up getting around 35 mpg. Door to door mileage was approx. 575, and we encountered the requisite traffic around Baltomore and NY.

2. Drove the whole week in Maine (~300 miles), followed by one stop on return - entire week long, plus up and back and used just over 2.5 tanks.

3. We were able to comfortably fit two adult suitcases, two adults and enough gear to comfortably haul ourselves and our 2 year old, along with all of his crap, in style.

4. The seats are just spectacular. I know for a fact that I could not have done that much driving in seats that are any less amazing than these. Surviving 10 hours in one seat with only a few breaks is pretty awesome.

5. For a family road trip, the 528i's power, passing power, stopping power, handling, and all around feature set were absolutely perfect for a marathon drive with the family. I had no issues doing whatever I needed to do on the roads, comfortably. And I got amazing mileage to boot.

However, I was not impressed with the navigation. Overall it worked decently well, and was quick to make adjustments, but it just does not do a good job in and around major metro areas! I know this has been beaten to death, and I encounter issues on my daily driving, but it was pretty bad at times in New England. I accept it for what it is - a moderately ok GPS system that looks pretty.

Overall, I adored the car for the trip - and can not imagine having done it in a typical family hauler! I drive it every day commuting in crap traffic, so it was a joy to really open it up and cruise. I benefit from the good MPG in traffic, and it was nice to see that even more drastically on highways. Drove most of the way in comfort mode, and sport whenever needed and on some fun twisty roads along the coast.

Now I just need to clean it!

PS - Maine is gorgeous and worth a 10 hour drive if you have never been!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
ITMenace
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW F10 550i

Great review! Happy to hear you are enjoying your ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Thanks for posting the long drive review. Great to hear the stats on gas mileage especially with a full car. I personally have put on almost 10k miles, but mostly for commuting 25 miles each way daily. My F10 has been garaged most weekends, so I am looking forward to my first long trip to NY or someplace in it.

But just based on my 9 months of ownership, I have to agree with your points. The car is really balanced in its power, performance, and efficiency. I never find it lacking for power, the comfort and amenities are great, and the gas mileage is great for a car of this size. And it clearly is nicer and classier than its its MB and Audi counterparts. Enjoy the ride!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Tuesday
Frequent Flyer
Rep
Drives: 535LCI

Great review!

+1 on the F10 being superior to the new E Class. I rode in a few last week in Germany and was very underwhelmed. I got myself, my colleague and all our luggage in an F10 to get to LAX - the first E Class taxi in Hamburg refused to take us because he didn't have the room for all our luggage (we travel heavy).
Appreciate 0