2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Watch the 2012 528i Turbo 4 (N20) Take on Its Older 6 Cylinder on the Road and Dyno

03-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #111
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

The 4 and 6 cylinder BMW's are not V engines but inline/straight 4/6 cylinder engines.

I kind of think that people who are complaining about the i4 engine compared to the i6 engine probably care more about that aspect of their car than you do (and know the difference between a inline and V engine and know that their car does not have a V4 or V6...)

And I believe this is the first time I have ever read about someone comparing the BMW six to a V8 Suburban... Those engines are kind of in the opposite end to each other on the scale of engine characteristics...

I have grown up with small 4 cyl engines here in Europe and really there is nothing like the sound and feel of a multi cylinder engine (5-6-8 cylinders). It's much smoother and better in NVH aspects. If that aspect doesn't matter that much to the buyer, then the new 4 cyl turbo engines are superb and offer better gas mileage.

I have no problem with the 4-cyl engine and applaud BMW for developing new engines with power and gas mileage. But for me, the next BMW will also be a 6- or 8-cylinder model

Last edited by Boss330; 03-09-2013 at 02:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #112
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The 4 and 6 cylinder BMW's are not V engines but inline/straight 4/6 cylinder engines.

I kind of think that people who are complaining about the i4 engine compared to the i6 engine probably care more about that aspect of their car than you do (and know the difference between a inline and V engine and know that their car does not have a V4 or V6...)

And I believe this is the first time I have ever read about someone comparing the BMW six to a V8 Suburban... Those engines are kind of in the opposite end to each other on the scale of engine characteristics...

I have grown up with small 4 cyl engines here in Europe and really there is nothing like the sound and feel of a multi cylinder engine (5-6-8 cylinders). It's much smoother and better in NVH aspects. If that aspect doesn't matter that much to the buyer, then the new 4 cyl turbo engines are superb and offer better gas mileage.

I have no problem with the 4-cyl engine and applaud BMW for developing new engines with power and gas mileage. But for me, the next BMW will also be a 6- or 8-cylinder model
I don’t know if they “care” about their cars more than I do. My point is that many of them after having test driven the car for 25min basically repeat the same old stuff they read somewhere already. It’s just easier that way. A four cylinder car, just because it’s a four cylinder car, regardless of its performance will NOT be an easy sell in the United States (especially being a 5 series). There are also those 528 reviews written by folks who actually had a car for a few days. Their observations are right on point. I own that car and drive it every day and those reviews actually make sense.

As much as you are correct about the i4 vs v4 nomenclature I am not entirely sure whether besides knowing the correct prefix those educated and carrying buyers can even tell the real difference.

Funny that you mention V5 (or inline/straight or whatever the lingo) and the "sound and feel" of it. I actually had a V5 2.3 Seat Toledo back in 2000 given the odd number of cylinders, this engine when in idle could never find its sweet spot. The rpms would go up and down; had a very unrefined feel to it. As far as the sound goes; I could not tell the difference between the 1999 four banger E36 318is and the VAG car.

I am sure you realize the mention of the "square footage" and the ”suburban” was not meant to be a comparison but just a sarcastic remark.

I am equal opportunity too and do not discriminate against the number of cylinders either. As a matter of fact, I can’t wait to test drive the new C7 (hopefully in September).

To each his own...

Last edited by COBodom; 03-09-2013 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #113
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBodom View Post
I don’t know if they “care” about their cars more than I do. My point is that many of them after having test driven the car for 25min basically repeat the same old stuff they read somewhere already. It’s just easier that way. A four cylinder car, just because it’s a four cylinder car, regardless of its performance will NOT be an easy sell in the United States (especially being a 5 series). There are also those 528 reviews written by folks who actually had a car for a few days. Their observations are right on point. I own that car and drive it every day and those reviews actually make sense.

As much as you are correct about the i4 vs v4 nomenclature I am not entirely sure whether besides knowing the correct prefix those educated and carrying buyers can even tell the real difference.

Funny that you mention V5 (or inline/straight or whatever the lingo) and the "sound and feel" of it. I actually had a V5 2.3 Seat Toledo back in 2000 given the odd number of cylinders, this engine when in idle could never find its sweet spot. The rpms would go up and down; had a very unrefined feel to it. As far as the sound goes; I could not tell the difference between the 1999 four banger E36 318is and the VAG car.

I am sure you realize the mention of the "square footage" and the ”suburban” was not meant to be a comparison but just a sarcastic remark.

I am equal opportunity too and do not discriminate against the number of cylinders either. As a matter of fact, I can’t wait to test drive the new C7 (hopefully in September).

To each his own...
Note that I didn't say that they care more about their car, but that they probably care more about THAT ASPECT of their car.

When I mentioned the 5 cylinder cars I didn't think of the V5 VAG engine (forgot about that one) but the Audi and Volvo inline 5 cyl engines. Those engines have a sweet sound and refinement.

The difference between a V and inline engine is much more than just nomenclature. It's the basic design of the engine that's different, and therefore also the characteristics of the engine.

For instance:
Due to the odd number of cylinders in each bank, V6 designs are inherently unbalanced, regardless of their V-angle. Each cylinder bank in a V6 has an odd number of pistons, so the V6 also suffers from the same problem unless steps are taken to mitigate it. In the horizontally opposed flat-6 layout, the rocking motions of the two straight cylinder banks offset each other, while in the inline-6 layout, the two ends of engine are mirror images of each other and compensate every rocking motion.

The straight-six layout is the simplest engine layout that possesses both primary and secondary mechanical engine balance, resulting in much less vibration than engines with fewer cylinders.

The poor secondary harmonic balance of four-cylinder engines is largely addressed with the use of balance shafts although it can never match the in-line six.

An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance, without the use of a balance shaft. The engine is in primary couple balance because the front and rear trio of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs (but of course, 360° out of phase and on different strokes of the 4-stroke cycle). That is, piston #1 mirrors #6, #2 mirrors #5, and #3 mirrors #4, largely eliminating the polar rocking motion that would otherwise result. Secondary imbalance is avoided because the crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120°. The result is that the secondary forces that are caused by differences from purely sinusoidal motion sum to zero.

An inline four cylinder or V6 engine without a balance shaft will experience secondary dynamic imbalance, resulting in engine vibration. As a general rule, the forces arising from any dynamic imbalance increase as the square of the engine speed — for example, if the speed doubles, vibration will increase by a factor of four. In contrast, inline six engines have no primary or secondary imbalances, and with carefully designed crankshaft vibration dampers to absorb torsional vibration, will run more smoothly at the same crankshaft speed (rpm). This characteristic has made the straight-six popular in some European sports-luxury cars, where smooth high-speed performance is very desirable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline-6

As you can see it's not just some peoples personal opinions about the difference between a i4 and a i6 (or between a i6 and a V6). It's actually down to physical and mechanical properties of the the different configurations.

Most people wont care or notice (my wife would not know or appreciate the difference between a 4 or 6 cyl engine), but for me that's one of the key factors in owning a BMW. And I know there IS a difference. I could also live with a 328i (and enjoy the experience), but I would know that the i4 engine is there because of gas mileage and that the sound and feel of the engine can't match that of the BMW i6 engine. No 4 cyl engine can, due to it's inherent design characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #114
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Note that I didn't say that they care more about their car, but that they probably care more about THAT ASPECT of their car.

When I mentioned the 5 cylinder cars I didn't think of the V5 VAG engine (forgot about that one) but the Audi and Volvo inline 5 cyl engines. Those engines have a sweet sound and refinement.

The difference between a V and inline engine is much more than just nomenclature. It's the basic design of the engine that's different, and therefore also the characteristics of the engine.

For instance:
Due to the odd number of cylinders in each bank, V6 designs are inherently unbalanced, regardless of their V-angle. Each cylinder bank in a V6 has an odd number of pistons, so the V6 also suffers from the same problem unless steps are taken to mitigate it. In the horizontally opposed flat-6 layout, the rocking motions of the two straight cylinder banks offset each other, while in the inline-6 layout, the two ends of engine are mirror images of each other and compensate every rocking motion.

The straight-six layout is the simplest engine layout that possesses both primary and secondary mechanical engine balance, resulting in much less vibration than engines with fewer cylinders.

The poor secondary harmonic balance of four-cylinder engines is largely addressed with the use of balance shafts although it can never match the in-line six.

An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance, without the use of a balance shaft. The engine is in primary couple balance because the front and rear trio of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs (but of course, 360° out of phase and on different strokes of the 4-stroke cycle). That is, piston #1 mirrors #6, #2 mirrors #5, and #3 mirrors #4, largely eliminating the polar rocking motion that would otherwise result. Secondary imbalance is avoided because the crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120°. The result is that the secondary forces that are caused by differences from purely sinusoidal motion sum to zero.

An inline four cylinder or V6 engine without a balance shaft will experience secondary dynamic imbalance, resulting in engine vibration. As a general rule, the forces arising from any dynamic imbalance increase as the square of the engine speed — for example, if the speed doubles, vibration will increase by a factor of four. In contrast, inline six engines have no primary or secondary imbalances, and with carefully designed crankshaft vibration dampers to absorb torsional vibration, will run more smoothly at the same crankshaft speed (rpm). This characteristic has made the straight-six popular in some European sports-luxury cars, where smooth high-speed performance is very desirable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline-6

As you can see it's not just some peoples personal opinions about the difference between a i4 and a i6 (or between a i6 and a V6). It's actually down to physical and mechanical properties of the the different configurations.

Most people wont care or notice (my wife would not know or appreciate the difference between a 4 or 6 cyl engine), but for me that's one of the key factors in owning a BMW. And I know there IS a difference. I could also live with a 328i (and enjoy the experience), but I would know that the i4 engine is there because of gas mileage and that the sound and feel of the engine can't match that of the BMW i6 engine. No 4 cyl engine can, due to it's inherent design characteristics.
Appreciate the copy/paste.

I didn't say nomenclature was the only difference. I said that you are correct on the proper nomenclature. Not sure where you got the idea that I am claiming nomenclature being the only difference. Of course there are mechanical and physical differences. I never said there aren't.

We can keep going on and on about those personal preferences and whether you hear/feel the difference in engines. Folks who want a V6 to begin with shouldn't even test drive the four; they will never be happy with the four banger. It has nothing to do with performance, but more with the aforementioned personal preference.

As far as performance goes, a four banger can outperform a v6 as it has been proven many times (i.e 2011 528 vs 2012).

Please note that Audi is a VAG car too.
      03-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #115
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the copy/paste.

I didn't say nomenclature was the only difference. I said that you are correct on the proper nomenclature. Not sure where you got the idea that I am claiming nomenclature being the only difference. Of course there are mechanical and physical differences. I never said there aren't.

We can keep going on and on about those personal preferences and whether you hear/feel the difference in engines. Folks who want a V6 to begin with shouldn't even test drive the four; they will never be happy with the four banger. It has nothing to do with performance, but more with the aforementioned personal preference.

As far as performance goes, a four banger can outperform a v6 as it has been proven many times (i.e 2011 528 vs 2012).

Please note that Audi is a VAG car too.
I do off course know that the Audi is a VAG car (VAG is short for Volkswagen Audi Gruppe). Living in Europe I kind of have a lot of VAG products around me all of the time

The part about nomenclature was nothing more than a reply to your sentence:

Quote:
(note the quote tags ) And, since you have mixed up the i and V I wasn't sure you knew the difference I notice you still call it a V6...

Personal preferences are really not debatable, because it's hard to argue against that. We all make different choices due to personal preferences, because we have different priorities and interests in life. That's what makes life interesting I would not disrespect someone because they don't have the same preferences I have when it comes to which engine they want to choose

I have driven both the 4 cyl and the 6 cyl (as well as the M6) versions of the newest generation BMW. I can both feel and hear the difference between the diffferent engines, but as I said, my wife would not be able to pinpoint the differences (apart from the M6 obviously ). It's kind of like someone who's a musician can hear stuff in music that I don't have a clue about...

I didn't say that the i6 has more performance, just that it is a different engine in it's characteristics than a 4 cyl, or even a V6.

Obviously a 4 cyl engine can beat a 6 cyl engine. That's just down to the different stage of tune on the respective engines. A turbo'd 4 can beat a NA 6 cyl. But a stock 528i (N20) won't beat a stock 535i (more accurate comparison as both engines are turbocharged). That's not because the 535i is 6 cyl, but because it's a 3l engine and is turbocharged, whereas the 528i is 2l and turbocharged.

BTW, the 2011 528i (6cyl) beats the 2012 528i (4 cyl) in the videos I have posted previously:

The 528i (6 cyl) take around 24,5sec from 0-200km/h.

The 528i N20 (4-cyl) takes around 32,8sec from 0-200km/h.

Around 8sec more than the 6cyl 528i, even though it's just as quick to 100km/h... As you can see the N20 528i starts to struggle (compared to the 6-cyl 528i) at higher speeds and looses at lot of time from around 150km/h and upwards.

But, that's not the point. Any engine configuration can be made to make lot's of HP. A 4 cyl can beat a 6 cyl engine, and vice versa. The point is that the 4 cyl engine can't have the same smoothness and sound as a 6 cylinder engine, and for some of us that means we prefer the i6 engines

EDIT:

To me as an automotive engineer, calling a inline 6 cyl engine a V6 is just like calling a violin a guitar or calling a iPod a iPad. Yes there are similarities (like both have 6 cylinders or both instruments have strings), but these are totally different architecture engines. I guess calling a i6 engine a V6 is indication of a not very "engine minded" buyer (nothing wrong with that).

To take another example, some just go with the regular sound system in their car, others need the B&O system. That doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the regular sound system, but just different priorities and interests. I would not tell someone who is a audiophile that there is no way you can hear the difference between a std. sound system and a B&O system in their new BMW. I might not be able to appreciate it (I do) but that doesn't mean others do

My point being, you might not notice any difference between a i4 and a i6 (and since you keep calling it a V6 I kind of get a feeling that engines are not your #1 interest ), but others actually do.

And, again, I have nothing against the new 520i/528i (as it seems others have) and I DO NOT consider a N20 engined 528i a "lesser" 5-series at all. Logically the new 528i is the more rational choice and even has a tuning potential due to the turbocharging. It's a great engine and works great in the 5-series.

Last edited by Boss330; 03-10-2013 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #116
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Again, thanks for the correction on the nomenclature.

I knew you were gonna bring the higher speeds and how the four banger supposedly chokes at higher speeds compared to the v6. And again on paper, that's very true, in reality though where exactly will you go past 90mph in US ? I never went past 110mph (not that it would go more than 120 anyways) in this car and for NYC/NJ driving the four banger delivers plenty of pickup (coming form S4 experience).

My point is very simple here. I am speaking from every day driving experience. 2012 528xi delivers on the promise. Now, if an idea of a 60k four cylinder car doesn't sit well with someone than a 4 cylinder car is not for them, but not because of the sound or smoothness.

It has nothing to do with disrespect, but I don't appreciate drinking everybody's kool-aid and that's how many of these 25min test drive reviews sound to me. It gets even better when folks start to compare weigh to hp ratios or timing youtube videos never having even driven N20 in a 5 series. I came across reviews when folks were commenting on how noisy the N20 is, turns they were speaking from 328 experience.

I also test drove 535 and 550. Personally, for my driving, 535 would be a waste of extra money when put against 528. In order to really feel the difference (in speed and sound) I would need to go with 550. Even then the 550 interior is quieter than the S4 (not as much roar), which i think has the best stock exhaust/engine combo in its class. That's not the point though, expecting a luxury cruiser to sound like a street approved go-kart is just wrong. These cars cater to different audience.
      03-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #117
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

Why do you keep calling it V6? There is no discussion about V6. It's about inline 6. You are either incompetent or a troll.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #118
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
Why do you keep calling it V6? There is no discussion about V6. It's about inline 6. You are either incompetent or a troll.
I think he believes the difference between a inline and a V engine is just nomenclature

Funny how he repeats his thanks for the correction on nomenclature, but then keeps on calling it a V6 engine

Also interesting that he talks about how the 4 cyl engine beats the 6 cyl, but only in the speed intervals that suits him So he attacks me for pointing out that the new 528i isn't faster in the higher speeds than the old 528i. It was just a factual information (but apparently not a relevant fact).

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #119
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think he believes the difference between a inline and a V engine is just nomenclature

Funny how he repeats his thanks for the correction on nomenclature, but then keeps on calling it a V6 engine

Also interesting that he talks about how the 4 cyl engine beats the 6 cyl, but only in the speed intervals that suits him So he attacks me for pointing out that the new 528i isn't faster in the higher speeds than the old 528i. It was just a factual information (but apparently not a relevant fact).

I can’t believe I am reading this shit? A troll? An attack ? You have some insecurity issues? Maybe a group hug can help you both?

Hear me and understand me. I am telling you that in NYC/NJ you can’t fucking drive that fast. A 0-60 pickup counts more than higher speeds in a jammed city. I am just giving you my perspective on the car as a daily driver yet you’re fucking mentally stuck with this V6/I6. You want a fucking medal for correcting me?

You clearly don’t fucking understand that I don’t care about your copy/paste expertise. I get up in the morning and turn the car on and I am happy I didn’t blow the extra buck on the 535 cause the 528xi puts a smile on my face each time I drive it.

GOT IT NOW ?

Last edited by COBodom; 03-11-2013 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #120
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I can’t believe I am reading this shit? A troll? An attack ? You have some insecurity issues? Maybe a group hug can help you both?

Hear me and understand me. I am telling you that in NYC/NJ you can’t fucking drive that fast. A 0-60 pickup counts more than higher speeds in a jammed city. I am just giving you my perspective on the car as a daily driver yet you’re fucking mentally stuck with this V6/I6. You want a fucking medal for correcting me?

You clearly don’t fucking understand that I don’t care about your copy/paste expertise. I get up in the morning and turn the car on and I am happy I didn’t blow the extra buck on the 535 cause the 528xi puts a smile on my face each time I drive it.

GOT IT NOW ?
Maybe you did not read my posts?

Quote:
My point being, you might not notice any difference between a i4 and a i6 (and since you keep calling it a V6 I kind of get a feeling that engines are not your #1 interest ), but others actually do.

And, again, I have nothing against the new 520i/528i (as it seems others have) and I DO NOT consider a N20 engined 528i a "lesser" 5-series at all. Logically the new 528i is the more rational choice and even has a tuning potential due to the turbocharging. It's a great engine and works great in the 5-series.
I have NEVER said anything against YOUR choice. But you have questioned others for saying that they can feel/hear a difference between a 4cyl engine and a 6 cyl engine (your point being that since you can't tell the difference nobody can). I beg to differ, lot's of people actually prefer a 6 or 8 cyl car.

And you said the N20 528i beats the old 528i. Yes apparently it does from 0-60, but where did you say that 0-60 was the only criteria that matters (or that I would be cursed at for pointing out that 0-60 isn't the only acceleration measurement)? For people living in Germany, the 50-100MPH is a more relevant acceleration measurement. Is your point that this thread is only supposed to have information that is relevant for NYC/NJ owners?

And, I never called you a Troll or incompetent, so please don't adress me and attack me for things I have not written.

My points being:
There is a difference between a V and a Inline engine
There is a difference between a 4cyl engine and a 6cyl engine (acoustically and in NVH)
Even though you might not notice the difference, others do.
I have nothing against the N20 528i (see my previous post)
I have nothing against your choice (even though you seem to question those who choose the 535i/550i)

Your response and choice of words speak louder than words and I think that I rest my case. You clearly don't get my point

Enjoy your 528i

Last edited by Boss330; 03-11-2013 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #121
Swack
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

New BMW owner here, but I actually picked a 2012 528i over a 2011 535i for the newer V4. I am by no means an auto enthusiast or expert but..

V4
1) 0-60 is half a second faster
2) More fuel-efficient
3) Lighter engine

Inline 6
1) faster after 90+
2) Better sounding engine?
3) Smoother feel?

Taking into consideration the I6 costs at least 5k more, practicially speaking and on paper, the V4 looks better to me. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #122
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you did not read my posts?

I have NEVER said anything against YOUR choice. But you have questioned others for saying that they can feel/hear a difference between a 4cyl engine and a 6 cyl engine (your point being that since you can't tell the difference nobody can). I beg to differ, lot's of people actually prefer a 6 or 8 cyl car.

And you said the N20 528i beats the old 528i. Yes apparently it does from 0-60, but where did you say that 0-60 was the only criteria that matters (or that I would be cursed at for pointing out that 0-60 isn't the only acceleration measurement)? For people living in Germany, the 50-100MPH is a more relevant acceleration measurement. Is your point that this thread is only supposed to have information that is relevant for NYC/NJ owners?

And, I never called you a Troll or incompetent, so please don't adress me and attack me for things I have not written.

My points being:
There is a difference between a V and a Inline engine
There is a difference between a 4cyl engine and a 6cyl engine (acoustically and in NVH)
Even though you might not notice the difference, others do.
I have nothing against the N20 528i (see my previous post)
I have nothing against your choice (even though you seem to question those who choose the 535i/550i)

Your response and choice of words speak louder than words and I think that I rest my case. You clearly don't get my point

Enjoy your 528i
So now you’re suddenly surprised by my tone? But it’s perfectly fine for you to team up with your buddy (just in case you don’t get it – you quoted him) and call me a troll or accuse me of an attack? Did I offend your gentle senses with my vulgar vocabulary? You accused me of an attack so you got a real one this time. Careful what you wish. Maybe your boy with an M diesel (sounds like an oxymoron) can soon come to the rescue. Hold on tight till then…

What do you both know about the N20 in a 5 series driving a diesel or a 530 anyways?

Please keep your quotes and essays coming. I am done talking to you. Have a wonderful life sir!
      03-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #123
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swack View Post
New BMW owner here, but I actually picked a 2012 528i over a 2011 535i for the newer V4. I am by no means an auto enthusiast or expert but..

V4
2) More fuel-efficient
3) Lighter engine

Inline 6
1) faster after 90+
3) Smoother feel?

Taking into consideration the I6 costs at least 5k more, practicially speaking and on paper, the V4 looks better to me. Am I missing something?
CONGRATS on the new ride !
      03-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #124
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

COBodom: You clearly haven't read the post where I wrote that I have driven the 5-series with the N20 engine (same as it seems you really have not read that I actually have supported your choice of car, but instead choose to go in full attack mode with language and arguments that remind more of a teenager).

When people start attacking with foul language and the accusations you do, it really suggests the person has run out of arguments.

Last edited by Boss330; 03-11-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #125
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

V4
2) More fuel-efficient
3) Lighter engine

Inline 6
1) faster after 90+
3) Smoother feel?

If you compare the 528i with the 535i your pro/con is not entirely correct. The 535i is faster everywhere in acceleration. This thread has mainly been about the pros and cons of the old vs the new 528i (or 4cyl vs 6cyl).

If you open the hood of your new 528i you will also see that it's not a V4 engine under there
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #126
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

V4? V6? I think I'll stick to the "Troll theory"
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #127
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
V4? V6? I think I'll stick to the "Troll theory"
Good for you Sherlock.
      03-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #128
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:

V4
2) More fuel-efficient
3) Lighter engine

Inline 6
1) faster after 90+
3) Smoother feel?

See what you've done COBodom?

Welcome to the forum, Swack. Sorry to mix you up in this, but you might be interested in knowing that the engine in your car is an inline 4, not a V4. I don't mean to give you a hard time, but it's an important distinction
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #129
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

GOT IT NOW ?
Man, you are one annoying dude. It's an inline 4, not a V4. It matters. It's not "nomenclature". It's as if you decided to start calling red lights, green lights, and then got all confused when everyone thought you were being intentionally obtuse.

Inline 4. It matters.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #130
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Man, you are one annoying dude. It's an inline 4, not a V4. It matters. It's not "nomenclature". It's as if you decided to start calling red lights, green lights, and then got all confused when everyone thought you were being intentionally obtuse.

Inline 4. It matters.
Try reading with understanding next time. Which exact part of this previous post confuses you genius?

"I didn't say nomenclature was the only difference. I said that you are correct on the proper nomenclature. Not sure where you got the idea that I am claiming nomenclature being the only difference. Of course there are mechanical and physical differences. I never said there aren't."

The guy then became OCD with this $hit providing massive copy/paste trying to prove the difference which I never disputed to begin with.

Last edited by COBodom; 03-11-2013 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #131
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Try reading with understanding next time. Which exact part of this previous post confuses you genius?

"I didn't say nomenclature was the only difference. I said that you are correct on the proper nomenclature. Not sure where you got the idea that I am claiming nomenclature being the only difference. Of course there are mechanical and physical differences. I never said there aren't."

The guy then became OCD with this $hit providing massive copy/paste trying to prove the difference which I never disputed to begin with.
Confused? Man, that's ironic.

I'm not confused. I read all your posts, and I get what you're saying about relative merits of each engine based on the buyer's priorities. I agree that for many buyers, the layout of the engine amounts to a line item on a spec sheet, and nothing more. I agree with much of what you said...

But you keep saying V4, V4, V4. It's driving everyone nuts, and now other people are picking up the incorrect term. You are making everyone around you dumber, just by being part of the conversation. Congrats.

We can't have a conversation about relative merit, because you can't use the correct terminology. How do you expect anyone to take what you're saying seriously?

Say it with me: I4.

Try it once more: I4.

It's not difficult. You already conceded the point. Just make the small modicum of effort required to use the correct terminology.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #132
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

I had a friend like this, would call and ask what's up, then proceed to ask me why I am annoyed (for no reason, I wasn't) - insist that I was, THEN you really start to get annoyed ... well you get the idea.
It's a personality trait taking the form of a disagreement (or not) on engines. The sole purpose is to transfer his annoyance to you.
Appreciate 0