2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes 2011 550i Aftermarket brake pads?

08-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Kenny
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

2011 550i Aftermarket brake pads?

Hello everyone,

New to the forum. I have a new 2011 550i with the sport package. Love the car, hate the brake dust. I went though this before on a 2005 X5. Seemed like I was always cleaning the rims... Now I see on here that lots of owners use "Akebono," or other brake pad brands to remedy this.

My burning question is if anyone knows if the correct pads are offered yet for the 2011 550i in an aftermarket, low dust, ceramic type?

Thanks in advance,

Kenny
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
fireman550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Hello everyone,

New to the forum. I have a new 2011 550i with the sport package. Love the car, hate the brake dust. I went though this before on a 2005 X5. Seemed like I was always cleaning the rims... Now I see on here that lots of owners use "Akebono," or other brake pad brands to remedy this.

My burning question is if anyone knows if the correct pads are offered yet for the 2011 550i in an aftermarket, low dust, ceramic type?

Thanks in advance,

Kenny
Are these covered under the service package on new BMW's? I guess you would just buy the pads and have BMW service put them on right?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
You may wanna try this 3M product which some people used. Here is what I found from the other forum:

Was searching for a long lasting synthetic sealant and found out that Audi in 07 was using this stuff to make it easier for customers to reduce brake dust!!

3M Performance Finish on Wheels
Nov 19, 2007 | Author: Marc Trahan

Based on previous survey results and other customer feedback, we have found that brake dust is a top complaint among our owners. Audi recommends the application of 3M Performance Finish. This product makes the removal of brake dust quicker and easier.

Audi will supply all dealers with an initial supply of 3M Performance Finish free of charge. Apply this product on all vehicles during the detailer part of the Perfect Delivery Inspection. We are confident that our customers' experience, and likewise their evaluation of our vehicles, will improve if the wheels can be cleaned quickly and easily.

Also, please make sure that your detailers follow and sign the Detailer PDI Checklist prior to customer delivery.

To order more, please contact either your local 3M representative or order through Parts On Command 3M Car Care drop
ship program.

Thank you for your partnership in improving our customers' experiences with our vehicles. Together, we all can look forward to continued successes.

I've read on various forums this product is very long lasting and will give it a try later today. Anyone used this product before? Will be doing the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
juztinl
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 535i

agree with RC3. always wax the rims before mounting them. makes life much easier.
assuming you are getting new rims for the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Kenny
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Thanks everyone for such a quick response. To answer several things at once: haven't waxed the rims yet, guess I need to. The 3M product sounds interesting, I will look into it. I am keeping the original rims for awhile, they are the 19" with the sport package, but I am not really crazy about these rims...

So far the car is great. The acceleration, handling, and ride are better than I expected.

Thanks,
Kenny
Appreciate 0