2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications TLOA Turbo Labs of America turbo rebuild

01-14-2022, 12:33 AM   #23
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Bump for updates on the N63 turbos to see how they're holding up.
I have not had mine as long as the original post date, but November 2020 I had Turbo Labs rebuild my turbos for my 550i non TU, basically a match build to the videos above. From what Austin at TLOA told me is that this was the max build for the stock housing, upgraded 50mm compressor+turbine wheels, wastegate repair and then I added TurboSmart DV's. From what I read they are the equivalent of the PS2 or +, but I have no physical data or comparison charts to prove that or argue with anyone about it, i can only relay my experience and what I have learned. I can say they are still in great shape and they perform great prior to all my mods but especially well with the mods and I could not be any happier!

I don't notice massive turbo lag and they hold boost great. I did notice a little lag (basically just intake and JB4) before I added the majority of my boltons plus a flash. I run them about 21-24 psi, with the 3.5 TMAPs I believe I can run them upwards of 31 psi but the most I have seen in any log so far is 28. I'm in the process of dialing in my car now and plan to take it up as far as I can on a custom map before I start having major fueling issues but for daily I'll keep it at 21-24.

I would recommend this build to everyone considering upgrading, again I don't have charts or numbers to compare but if and when I do it again on future cars I will go with TLOA over PS2 or VTT. I say pull the trigger!
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0