2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK BMW Wing mirrors - scratching when fold in?

06-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
Andehh
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 530d 11

BMW Wing mirrors - scratching when fold in?

I bought my car a month ago, BMW Approved Used with 2 year warranty. This is a pretty solid warranty but does not cover 'trim items'. Recently, a mate pointed out the scratches on my wing mirror base. I had never noticed them before as they are tucked underneath the mirror and totally hidden when folded out.

Now, the scratches I imagine are from grit & stones being kicked up off the road and getting caught in the gap...then dragged round when the mirrors are folded in. What I am unsure of is whether to bring this up with BMW when I am next in there.

Whilst not really noticeable it is still a £25k car that is scratching itself through a poor design? or is it just fair nature of a 3-4 year old car that lives on the motorway?

Anyone ever come across this before?

This is one side, opposite side looks the same....

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
billythetidd
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport

I have exactly the same buddy. I don't think that we are alone with this one. As you say you don't expect this from a car like this. I would have thought that some kind of rubber washer would have been used.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
davewf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 520d Msport

Same on my 2 1/2 year old, passenger side is worse for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #4
RandomGuy152
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M-Sport (TiAg)

Yes, noticed it before but it was largely ignored, my attention was consumed with a whole host of other niggles...

It's clearly a design flaw, so if you pursue BMW about this problem, remember that their efforts (and yours) will not stop the damage reoccurring - the only solution is not to fold them in ... or not to fold them out

... or improvise some form of buffer - but any contact point will produce scratches or marks eventually
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #5
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Just checked mine this morning, kept forgetting to look, and as yet no scratches....
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Mine makes a grindy/spring creaking noise when I fold them in and out. It's very loud.

I've booked it into BMW where I'm sure I'll be relieved of an irritating sum of money for diagnosis only to be told that it isn't covered under AUC warranty.

To be honest the little quality niggles are starting to piss me off. My 13 year old 200,000 mile 530i makes no funny noises when the mirror folds and the seat plastics don't creak either. It also cost me a lot less to buy at 4 years old than the F10 did!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #7
Andehh
Rep

BMW Rybrook fobbed me off with 'its trim, not covered by BMW AUC'. Went back to my supplying dealer (Sytner) who was more helpful and liaised with Ken mc-someone, a BMW aftersales/Quality guy who authorised work to *fix* the issue.

Frustratingly, I go on my honeymon next week so it wiill be 3 weeks before I can get them to have a look at it, but hopefully something will be done about it. The sales chap who sold me the car has been very re-assuring it will be sorted for me, but im none the wiser as to how they plan to do that!

I think the tolerances for it are too small allowing grit from the road to get trapped and dragged across the surface. The fact some are affected more then others obviously means the original tolerance was pretty tight, but with some +/- in the equation. Over time any slight 'drop' that the mirror might suffer then turns it into this...

Will keep you all updated in a couple of weeks when I do get it into them.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

No scratches on mine.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 04:12 AM   #9
Andehh
Rep

Just to update the situation, BMW are replacing the wing mirrors in their entirety. They put up no resistance, have been really positive & proactive and are doing it under a good will gesture as my BMW approved used warranty doesn't cover trim items. Car was picked up by them this morning!

Taken this long due to a wedding, honeymoon and death in the family getting in the way of this, but they approved it within a few days of me contacting them to discuss it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Might have dirt in it, try power washing it
Appreciate 0