2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Engine malfunction! Reduced Power, DSC Malfunction, DBC malfunction, FTM system error

03-18-2021, 05:04 AM   #1
khaldrogo
Banned
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 2019

Engine malfunction! Reduced Power, DSC Malfunction, DBC malfunction, FTM system error

Hi everyone,

I have a 2009, my brother has a 2010, and this is about his 2010. He's out highway driving, suddenly gets numerous codes:Engine malfunction! Reduced Power, DSC Malfunction, DBC malfunction, FTM system error, Start-off assistance inactive.
We do a bunch of reading and determine that the battery is a good place to start. Charged battery overnight, codes were gone in the morning except one which i cleared with my schwabben odb tool.
So everything is fine for a bit, he knows he needs to get something figured out, and it happens again yesterday, he replaces the battery, drives 280 kms with all the codes on cause he doesn't have a scan tool. Anyways, plugged my tool in this morning and it doesn't pick up those codes for some reason.
I'm going into quick scan and it only gets a couple other ones. Does anyone know if i need to go into a different menu on the scanner? also, could the new battery not being registered have anything to do with the codes not clearing on their own?

Or is this possibly a bigger issue? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
calswan7145
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, 2009 328xi

Garage List
if your getting a slew of codes I usually start with the battery. If you don't code the new battery the car can kind of throw a fit. I had a buddy install a new battery without coding it and he brought it to me for a CEL. I scanned it and the car had something absurd like 76 codes. Coded the battery and cleared the codes and he's been fine for the last 6 months or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #3
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by calswan7145 View Post
if your getting a slew of codes I usually start with the battery. If you don't code the new battery the car can kind of throw a fit. I had a buddy install a new battery without coding it and he brought it to me for a CEL. I scanned it and the car had something absurd like 76 codes. Coded the battery and cleared the codes and he's been fine for the last 6 months or so.
I agree with this. Low or improperly coded batteries can cause all kinds of weird gremlins in these cars. If you get simultaneous malfunctions in the engine, traction control, and flat tire monitor all at the same time that would strongly suggest something electrical. I guess it could also be a bad ground, bad wiring/connector, or other such item.
Appreciate 0