2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Start up with M6 Mufflers on 550i

01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
kthankzbye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i, 2020 G05 40i

Start up with M6 Mufflers on 550i

Here is my last mod. M6 mufflers on my 550i.
This was a cold start so I didn't rev it that much.
There is no drone at cruising speeds. Perfect for my daily commute!

Video:

The tips were modified in which they were cut shorter or else it would have stuck out extra 2 inches.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Edman951
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3, Capparis White

Sound good,
nice
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
AlpineWhiteM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

sounds good did you also add an x-pipe?

can you do an incar video?

can you do a video from outside of a flyby and drive off?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

Sounds nice! Subtle but powerful.
I'm sitting on a pair of M6 mufflers and thinking about the install very soon.
Might you have a quick pick of the muffler from underneath? I wondering how your muffler guy made the connections and how he adapted the tips to the M6 muffler.
Are those 3 1/2" tips? And, is rest of your system stock?
Thanks Very Much!

Last edited by HDEddie1; 01-22-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
kthankzbye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
Sounds nice! Subtle but powerful.
I'm sitting on a pair of M6 mufflers and thinking about the install very soon.
Might you have a quick pick of the muffler from underneath? I wondering how your muffler guy made the connections and how he adapted the tips to the M6 muffler.
Are those 3 1/2" tips? And, is rest of your system stock?
Thanks Very Much!
Eddie,

This is the bottom of my friends car with the M6 mufflers on a F10 535 xdrive

The muffler is untouched, including the tips. All they need to do is cut the piping very close to the M6 muffler and weld it to the stock exhaust. As for the tips. It would be perfect with a M5 diffuser since it could hide the tips from sticking out too far.

Installing the M6 mufflers to my stock exhaust system only cost me $100.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited by kthankzbye; 01-23-2013 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
kthankzbye
Lieutenant
Rep

This is how it looks under my car.

Right side: You can see the 3" piping bridge they made. They cut the stock 550i muffler too far in. So they had to make a custom connector.

Left side: They cut the stock exhaust close to the 550i muffler and just weld the M6 muffler right to it.

The right side was a trial and error lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

M6 Muffler Mod on 550i +1

kthankzbz,
Thanks for the pics and details! Your advice came in real handy.

Keeping the muffler forward made all the difference for fitting new exhaust tips. The old 3" M6 tips were way too long for me and turned inward so they were cut off from day one. Shop guy easily fabricated some up slightly up-turning stubs to slide the 3 1/2" X 5" slant angle tips and position them staggered, 1/2 inch from the rear facia .

My guy also fabricated a smooth transition from the M6's 2 1/2 inlet to the 2 3/4 factory exhaust pipe past he axle. Conveniently, he cut past the awful crush that the factory does at this point (for what reason I don't know). So, even though 2 1/2 is less than 2 3/4 pipe, at least the transition is smooth and no crushed pipe.

In summary, the fit up was not too problematic. Muffler fits into space, hangs about 1" lower than stock muffler. The old M6 hangers were cut off and new hangers were fabricated and tied into the factory 550i mounts. The quad pips were positioned at 1/2" protruding from facia and staggered. There was still room to position them shorter or longer but I liked them at 1/2".

Don't have a sound clip yet but just as kthankbz clip shows, it sounds a lot more aggressive at start up. And on WOT acceleration, it is VERY pronounced. At cruise, no drone per-se but a BRRRR sound at highway speed to let you know the engine sound is there.
Overall sound, very different indeed but maybe too loud for me (lol). I'm doing a 600 mile road trip today and will know afterwards if I'm keeping it or going back to stock.

First pic shows muffler not fasten yet but shows the upturned stubs, new pipes slid on, and transition pipe all the way to the factory pipe. 2nd and 3rd quick pics show finished job (poor pics because it just rained today).
Attached Images

Last edited by HDEddie1; 01-26-2013 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
airjoe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 550i

Very interested in this. There's a few sets of M6 mufflers on ebay... So it seems affordable.

Compromises? I'm thinking one is the restriction going back to 2.5". Losing the electric valve. What else?

How is the sound - could you describe more? I'd love an m5 exhaust, but I'm not alone, so I doubt I'll find one at a reasonable cost.

I'm really looking for something with just a lil more attitude, but with a lot more when you jump on it...

Thanks.

Dinan Stage 2, springs, M5 mufflers, and 303M/Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ideally, a full M5 exhaust would be nice...I've seen them go for $1-2K plus shipping. Plus, as you might already know, you'd have to modify your rear facia (or go with the M5 facia) for the tips to fit.

Compromise with M6, yes...but the M6 muffler retro isn't too bad. It HAS an attitude for sure. Forum members have been selling used set ups for $5-600 range. Some might already be fitted with quad tips and hangers to fit right up. It is not a bold on but will fit relatively easily with new hangers and a weld-on transition pipe.

The downsize to 2.5 inch a restriction? IMHO, is no big deal at this stage of the exhaust (gases expanded and velocities slower) since they've been compromised already with the numerous crush/kinks already on the factory pipe (check it out next time your car's up on the rack). So unless your dead serious about max exhaust efficiency (upgraded downpipes, racing cats, 3" manderel bent pips all the way, resonator delete, X pipe, and operate the engine in its higher output band, I would'nt think you'd notice it on the butt dyno. I did mine for cosmetics and that "attitude". Didn't notice any performance drop (but in sport + WOT, its hard to concentrate on anything else but straight ahead and you MPH).

The 550i does have a vacuum controlled flap on the inboard pipe of the stock exhaust which is there for sound reduction at start up and low speed (<1500) only. No performance or warranty issue if the vacuum line was disconnected and blocked (lots of post on this).

The sound is definitely noticeable, at start up, off-idle low speed, and especially WOT from a stop.
At cruise or low speeds, minor modulations of the throttle are now very audible. Some people might call it drone, my car buddies call it "hot", I think is sounds like BRRRRRR.
Its actually too LOUD for me and I don't particularly like the attention it draws. You know, the guys in other brand cars that think they can lure you into some kind of macho contest. I'm just too old for that and spoiled by use to my music and quiet cabin. I may end up going back to stock after all.

Lastly, if you hit WOT from highway cruise, sound is not much more aggressive, surprisingly.

Bottom line for me? Go with the full M5 exhaust, M5 facia, and AR downpipes. Then the car will sound AND go like crazy. Throw a din an Stage 2 or three, they is is sick and crazy. Just cosmetics with a bit attitude? buy a USED M6 muffler set with custom quad tips and hangers already welded on.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
airjoe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 550i

Thanks!

Dinan Stage 2, springs, M5 mufflers, and 303M/Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0