2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Motortrend Lexus GS challenge

02-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #45
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

I drove the new GS and its better than my 535i in terms of handling and ride. The new 5 is a bit heavy, numb, and not as fun to drive in my opinion. My 335xi coupe is better. The new GS will be added to my car fleet along with the Audi A8L and Mercedes Ml350. Why do people stick with 1 brand when you can enjoy alot more in life from other brands.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #46
CamelRyda
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek
Lexus is a Camry turd

It amazes me what I read on here
I AGREE. I can't believe they compare Lexus to bmws and benzes!!! "the Lexus has more presence"??!! I won't trade my 5 for for any of Toyota's luxury line cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #47
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

It is not a Camry Turd and thats a pretty low thing to say about a great product that you cannot admit that its very good compared to the BMW. Its separate line and platform. Its same as with Audi A6s as they are separate from VW platform sharing. Those cars are still better in reviews than the 5. Just because you say it is BMW and its a premium brand doesn't make it better. I don't see how you can have so much money and say that I have a BMW makes it any better. No doubt that I love my BMWs and I enjoy driving them but I do find alot of great things in my Audi that is not found in my BMWs and even my Mercedes Ml350 that provides a better highway ride than the X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #48
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Life would be boring if we all thought and liked the same things
      02-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #49
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rangdo View Post
Life would be boring if we all thought and liked the same things
Well said!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #50
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus300
I drove the new GS and its better than my 535i in terms of handling and ride. The new 5 is a bit heavy, numb, and not as fun to drive in my opinion. My 335xi coupe is better. The new GS will be added to my car fleet along with the Audi A8L and Mercedes Ml350. Why do people stick with 1 brand when you can enjoy alot more in life from other brands.
Maybe they don't like Japanese cars, period...

BTW, I saw the latest report from JD Powers. I hope the engineers in Munich see it too, BMW was worse than a lot of brands, including of course Lexus...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #51
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus300 View Post
It is not a Camry Turd and thats a pretty low thing to say about a great product that you cannot admit that its very good compared to the BMW. Its separate line and platform. Its same as with Audi A6s as they are separate from VW platform sharing. Those cars are still better in reviews than the 5. Just because you say it is BMW and its a premium brand doesn't make it better. I don't see how you can have so much money and say that I have a BMW makes it any better. No doubt that I love my BMWs and I enjoy driving them but I do find alot of great things in my Audi that is not found in my BMWs and even my Mercedes Ml350 that provides a better highway ride than the X5.
I wouldn't say that Lexus is a "camry turd" but those cars can't be compared to BMW and Audi either. BMW makes nothing but luxury cars. Audi, although part of VAG, is a completely separate division with its own manufacturing plants, engineering and design departments, marketing, after-sales, etc. Lexus, on the other hand, is just a badge that goes on high-end Toyotas. Every Lexus that I have ever driven had unmistakable resemblance to much lower-priced Toyotas.

The only countries where Lexus has any serious degree of success are USA and Canada - and that's because most North Americans who switched to Lexus in the 90s and 00s were previously driving terribly outdated domestic "luxury" cars like Lincolns, Cadillac and Buick and anything would seem like an upgrade in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #52
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I went to check out the GS350 over the weekend. It was dark grey with red interior Fsport. The front of the car looks ok. Very aggressive but the rest of the exterior is as boring as it can get. The side and rear of the car does not flow with the front of the car at all. Being that its an Fsport car i would imagine they come alittle lower than the standard car but it doesn't. It sits like a 4x4 unlike how they show it in pics/brochures.

The car has a HUGE trunk and trunk opening. Biggest i've seen yet in any sedan. Now with the interior....Wow....very impressive. I would rank this interior above the Audi A6 and E350 by far. Its very modern and high end looking in person especially with the red interior. Lexus got the interior perfect imo. Compared to the 550 msport i also saw the same day I prefer the bmw's interior more. Its not as sporty looking but the layout and design makes you feel rich and it looks it. The car had all the bells and whistles including black nappa leather, ceramic controls so not exactly a fair comparison because the sticker price is over 10K more than the lexus at 58K msrp.

If money was not an issue i rather have a Msport 535 over the GS350 for sure. Better exterior and interior plus better drive-train. In terms of value the Lexus is a bargain considering everything that you are getting. Now only if they offered a V8 with it then it would really compete with the more powerful German brothers....

I also checked out the A6 and E350 the same day.

A6 - not a fan of the interior. Trying too hard to be stylish imo
E350 - Interior looks like a vault. Too spartan for me.

Just my 2cents.
Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 02-21-2012 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #53
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

My dad just picked up a grey/red GS350 Fsport yesterday and I took it for a brief spin around my house.

First off that interior is seriously one of the best in class. Better than the Audi A6 and the MB E350 by far. I can't say its better than the F10 but i like it equally as much. They are just different. The Lexus is more high tech and modern looking while the F10 has a more traditional luxury car look. If i were to get this as my next car it would be mainly because of the interior. Its THAT nice!

Handling and Steering - with the Sport+ mode on the car felt very nice and tight. Strange to get this feeling from a Lexus but it felt light on its feet. Great brake feel as well on the Fsport. My only gripe is the 4x4 suspension height on the car. It looks like the car is still on shipping blocks. You can easily put your whole fist in the suspension gap with room to spare.

Power - this is the biggest downfall of this car imo. The engine sounds great when you push it. Sounds like you have a aftermarket intake already installed but it lacks grunt to go with the sound. I'm use to my tuned 335 but I had to floor the lexus to get it to accelerate somewhat quickly. Unless you are prepared to have the gas pedal at least 75% or more floored this car feels anemic to me. My 335 would run circles around this thing even without a tune. Under normal driving the instant torque from the N54/N55 will feel a ton faster than the GS. If they dropped the IS-F motor into this chassis then it would be a complete package. Right now the chassis is exceeding its drivetrain.

Alan
      02-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #54
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Thanks for the review, let's see what Lexus is going to do with GS-F. That V8 in IS-F is a great engine, will see soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
My dad just picked up a grey/red GS350 Fsport yesterday and I took it for a brief spin around my house.

First off that interior is seriously one of the best in class. Better than the Audi A6 and the MB E350 by far. I can't say its better than the F10 but i like it equally as much. They are just different. The Lexus is more high tech and modern looking while the F10 has a more traditional luxury car look. If i were to get this as my next car it would be mainly because of the interior. Its THAT nice!

Handling and Steering - with the Sport+ mode on the car felt very nice and tight. Strange to get this feeling from a Lexus but it felt light on its feet. Great brake feel as well on the Fsport. My only gripe is the 4x4 suspension height on the car. It looks like the car is still on shipping blocks. You can easily put your whole fist in the suspension gap with room to spare.

Power - this is the biggest downfall of this car imo. The engine sounds great when you push it. Sounds like you have a aftermarket intake already installed but it lacks grunt to go with the sound. I'm use to my tuned 335 but I had to floor the lexus to get it to accelerate somewhat quickly. Unless you are prepared to have the gas pedal at least 75% or more floored this car feels anemic to me. My 335 would run circles around this thing even without a tune. Under normal driving the instant torque from the N54/N55 will feel a ton faster than the GS. If they dropped the IS-F motor into this chassis then it would be a complete package. Right now the chassis is exceeding its drivetrain.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #55
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Yeah, I am gonna buy a Lexus for its stunning technology that comes right from the aviation world... Yep, the Lexus "heads-up" display.

First, note to Lexus... It is known in the aviation industry as a "head-up" display. Second, yes, BMW properly calls it a head up display.

Second, I am not buying a car where the engineers can't get basic technology terms correct.

I mean what if Lexus thinks an air bag is a hair bag? Hey, Lexus can use their hair bag for their heads up display.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 01:59 AM   #56
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Yeah, I am gonna buy a Lexus for its stunning technology that comes right from the aviation world... Yep, the Lexus "heads-up" display.

First, note to Lexus... It is known in the aviation industry as a "head-up" display. Second, yes, BMW properly calls it a head up display.

Second, I am not buying a car where the engineers can't get basic technology terms correct.

I mean what if Lexus thinks an air bag is a hair bag? Hey, Lexus can use their hair bag for their heads up display.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #57
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

I have yet to drive one, but the Lexus won the latest Motortrend comparison:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...31&188,shopper

I considered the F10 when it came out. I love it's styling. However, I was dissapointed with the steering and handling compared to the e60. It felt too soft and heavy - more toward luxury than sport sedan than before. It seems Lexus is finally learning what it takes to win some bmw customers. I have never been a Lexus fan, but I'm willing to give them a shot if they are able to deliver a good product that meets my expectations. At some point I'm going to take one for a test drive to see for myself....even though the M5 is likely my next sedan purchase.

Last edited by erio; 04-10-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #58
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFFZA View Post
Apparently you can cherry pick stats and people will believe at you have the superior car, even though you are comparing apples and oranges for different comparisons.
http://www.motortrend.com/lexusgschallenge/
This is usually the case. It's like this in all magazines. Favorable articles are bought with advertising money and by giving out perks. You have to be naive to think otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #59
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus300 View Post
I drove the new GS yesterday and wow it is simply more sharper, nimbler, and more fun to drive than my 535i xdrive. The GS felt amazing with blend of smooth and sportiness. Looks like it will be in my garage soon in my fleet of 4 German cars. I used to have Lexus before and got tired of it but this one is a spark by a huge leap forward over the older Lexus that I am amazed. I prefer the feel and ride of this GS over the 5 now.
should of bought your 5 with 6-speed manual love it here in Atlanta and blow GS off the line
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #60
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
I have yet to drive one, but the Lexus won the latest Motortrend comparison:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...31&188,shopper

I considered the F10 when it came out. I love it's styling. However, I was dissapointed with the steering and handling compared to the e60. It felt too soft and heavy - more toward luxury than sport sedan than before. It seems Lexus is finally learning what it takes to win some bmw customers. I have never been a Lexus fan, but I'm willing to give them a shot if they are able to deliver a good product that meets my expectations. At some point I'm going to take one for a test drive to see for myself....even though the M5 is likely my next sedan purchase.
I hear you i bought a F10 535i love it but my next will be M5 test drove a 2009 awesome handling and love the V10 sound
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #61
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 523i

The GS 250 is what they have here in HK, it's more expensive then my 523. They are both 2.5L and is targeting the same crowd. The GS is more expensive because it got more toys like sat nav, comfort access etc. But I feel very good about the amount of options I get on the F10 (I can always use google map if I m lost plus being totally lost in HK is impossible). Both car even the A6 and the E250 is within my budget but I choose the F10 not because of the price, but I love the way the 5 series handles (3rd 5 series for me now)

It's all down to preference, Americans they look at quarter mile time, braking performance and lateral g on skid pad, to me those numbers means nothing because I don't drag race and need to stop in time for the next light and I hardly drive in oval all the time. I like the car to be balance so that when I m on the hill and twisty and some idiot ran out on the road or there's some obstacle, I could still hard brake during cornering without the car losing control.

Everyone have their own preference and as one poster suggested, it would be quite boring if we like the same stuff.
2005 E60 523i, 1999 E39 523i, 1998 E46 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #62
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
Lexus might not get the name correct but betcha the HUD will last longer than the one from BMW reliability wise.
Lexus also built the LFA and I don't think BMW has anything to match it either. Sold everyone they built so maybe before looking down on the Japanese cars you may want to think what BMW has currently that can outperform the brand that you are talking down about.
But seriously would you consider the LFA?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #63
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Why are all you Lexus nerds hanging on a BMW forum????
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #64
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmernerd View Post
Why are all you Lexus nerds hanging on a BMW forum????
Actually, I m reading a similar argument in a local HK forum.

Someone posted a thread saying how much more options there is in the GS compare to the F10 520i with it's few options and that the GS should be a better buy. Alot of the member there think the OP is actually a salesman working for Lexus.

Maybe they are trying to persuade BMW owner to switch?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #65
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Umm, convincing a hardcore BMW driver to go to Lexus, is like talking the Harley guys into riding Honda Scooters. That would be cool!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #66
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
i can care less about japanese products.
Appreciate 0