2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Recently bought a 535i.....

07-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3

Recently bought a 535i.....

...my first F10.

So I've been a 3 series driver for a while. Most recent car was an E90 330d LCI and that engine was perfect for long commutes as most 30d drivers will no doubt appreciate.

But for me, doing less miles now and having had several petrol straight sixes previously meant the lure to go back to petrol was strong.

Originally was looking for a F30/31 335i or 340i but there weren't many around for my budget. Happened to stumble across a 535i being sold by a BMW dealer in Scotland which they had just got in and after seeing a few photos of it (am based in Southern England) quickly secured the car.

Yes, I effectively bought a car without seeing it or driving it , but the spec was good and had most of the things I wanted. It would also have the benefit of a service and new tyres all round.

I picked up the car after a quick drive and drove it back in one day. The F10s a lovely place to be. Definitely an upgrade in class from an E90 and the quality and refinement is better than an F30. The drive back confirmed that I had made the right choice. It just so cosseting that the 8 hour drive (with a short break) was so effortless.

Appreciate that n55 is superseded by the b58, but it feels so smooth and refined in the F10 and plenty quick enough (for me). A little criticism was that it may be a little too quiet in terms of exhaust noise...........

It just so happened that after I had secured the car, I was browsing a popular auction site and found a M Performance exhaust for sale. After viewing a couple of videos of the exhaust in action a deal was done.

So a couple of days after I had got the car, my local BMW dealer fitted the exhaust for me and it has transformed the car. It just sounds so much better. Admittedly, it would have been nicer if it was a switchable exhaust, but overall I think BMW have judged it right.

Anyway enough from me, some photos of the car, not that you don't know what an F10 looks like

Looking at some coding for the mirrors to fold on lock. Are there any other things I should consider or look out for?

My car has VDC - possibly considering ACS springs but as it's a large car not sure whether I will be hustling the car round corners so not sure if there's any benefit other than a slight drop for aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Welcome to the 535i club.

I bought mine remote, without a test drive. First time ever to do so, picked it up driving back to the Highlands from the south. Loaded the luggage across to the F11, and headed home.

I love the quiet nature of the N55 in the F11, just adds a purposeful rasp when giving it some beans.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2017, 12:41 AM   #3
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3

Thanks HighlandPete.

I think the F11 would have been the icing on the cake for me, as I needed the extra space but the F10 boot is ample for my needs. F11 535is are rarer than hens teeth!

Agree, so we'll see how long the exhaust stay on for, as they are noticeable when cruising, but probably on the right side of comfortable.

I've seen your knowledgeable post before, given that I have the benefit of warranty at the moment, is there anything I should watch out for specific to the F1X or n55?

I've read of air con condensers and vanos bolts being common issues?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 05:15 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I believe cars with suspect Vanos bolts had a recall, mine did.

Other things to watch, for me, have been more in the options, like comfort access failure, side view cameras.

You won't have the rear air spring issue, like touring users.
Appreciate 0