2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding coding out EDC

11-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #1
roskinc
Rep
Drives: e60

coding out EDC

searched for months before installing coil overs on my EDC equipped F10, now that i finally installed them, obviously getting the EDC error. searching i only found people say to remove edc from VO but i did that and error still appears.

can anyone suggest what else i have to code? trust me ive searched all day long, even months before, i assumed removing from EO was all it took.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #2
roskinc
Rep

ok so since last post ive contacted several coders, most don't reply back, some say cant be coded (mostly shops, who have coders do their work), and some can do it for a cost. now if i have to i don't mind paying to have it done if its my last choice. but geez i cant be the ONLY person with EDC who has installed coil overs and tried to have it coded, i mean most people in post say to code our rather than use edc emulators.

anyways, from what i gathered, i need to unplug my vdc/edc module, i looked everywhere for that module, so anyone know where the module is on the F10?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
Teq
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Maybe I can help....what is edc exactly?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
roskinc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teq View Post
Maybe I can help....what is edc exactly?
EDC is electronic damper control, my vehicle had the button so I can adjust the shocks damper, I replaced them with coil overs so now I'm getting the fault for the EDC.

I just can't seem to find where that module is to unplug.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

There is no satellite module on the F10, which is why VO coding didn't work.

The f10 edc is different from other BMW models, each wheel has a 'module' that communicates directly with different vectors of the ECU. There is no module that communicates to the ECU on behalf of the EDC, which makes coding more difficult because you can't just disable 1 module anymore. Unplugging the individual wheel 'modules' might not change anything. I have yet to see this coded out on an F10. Maybe someone with Air Suspension got this to work.

Last edited by SLVSRFR; 11-09-2016 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 12:44 AM   #6
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roskinc View Post
ok so since last post ive contacted several coders, most don't reply back, some say cant be coded (mostly shops, who have coders do their work), and some can do it for a cost. now if i have to i don't mind paying to have it done if its my last choice. but geez i cant be the ONLY person with EDC who has installed coil overs and tried to have it coded, i mean most people in post say to code our rather than use edc emulators.

anyways, from what i gathered, i need to unplug my vdc/edc module, i looked everywhere for that module, so anyone know where the module is on the F10?
It cant be done, my car also has edc and dhp and yours probably does as well, the dampners and the sway bars are electronically controlled so without the signal from the dampners your car suspension modules have no communication with the sway bars and that is why your still getting a fault. look up your vin and see if you have dhp, if you do your stuck with springs only and the stock dampners. If im correct your car will only go to normal mode and have major body roll while its faulted, my car had a edc/dhp fault when I first got it (used) and it ended up being right front and left rear dampners were bad. When it faulted it wouldnt let me select any modes and the sway bars and dampners would be full loose as in they didnt work at all, major body roll and no suspension the car drove like all 4 shocks were blown out and it had no sway controll. I also did months of research and called every bmw shop and tuner, theres noway to bypass edc/dhp. The next time I will make sure I get a non edc/ dhp car. Hope this helps you out, let me know if your car has dhp or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
It cant be done, my car also has edc and dhp and yours probably does as well, the dampners and the sway bars are electronically controlled so without the signal from the dampners your car suspension modules have no communication with the sway bars and that is why your still getting a fault. look up your vin and see if you have dhp, if you do your stuck with springs only and the stock dampners. If im correct your car will only go to normal mode and have major body roll while its faulted, my car had a edc/dhp fault when I first got it (used) and it ended up being right front and left rear dampners were bad. When it faulted it wouldnt let me select any modes and the sway bars and dampners would be full loose as in they didnt work at all, major body roll and no suspension the car drove like all 4 shocks were blown out and it had no sway controll. I also did months of research and called every bmw shop and tuner, theres noway to bypass edc/dhp. The next time I will make sure I get a non edc/ dhp car. Hope this helps you out, let me know if your car has dhp or not.
KW sells a kit that allows EDC owners to run Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVSRFR View Post
http://www.kwsuspensions.com/product...-68510213.html
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
I should have been more clear, that kit will not work on a car with edc AND dhp.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #10
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
I should have been more clear, that kit will not work on a car with edc AND dhp.
I know people who have DHP and this kit works just fine with their cars.

EDC is present on F10's that have Adaptive Drive or the DHP.

Even the M5 guys run a similar kit.

All it does is act as if the OEM struts are still installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
I know people who have DHP and this kit works just fine with their cars.

EDC is present on F10's that have Adaptive Drive or the DHP.

Even the M5 guys run a similar kit.

All it does is act as if the OEM struts are still installed.
KW told me the edc emulators will not work on a car with DHP/adaptive drive but will work with edc on base model f10's, Mine is an M sport with edc, dhp and adaptive drive, based on that info I went with HR sport springs. So they either lied to me or their tech support is for nothing. I also confirmed this with European Auto Sport so they All either lied to me or made shit up because they didnt know, but it doesn't matter to me anymore as I have the springs now.

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 11-18-2016 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #12
roskinc
Rep

damn, all this time reading post about this issue everyone is so quick to say "just code it out", even recommended coders to do it, which they dont reply when i ask.one reason why i went with coilovers, figured it would be easy coding. guess ill live with the fault for now, not really down to pay that much for emulator from KW just yet. but in the future i might just end up doing it. its not really that big of a deal, but i cant walk away from a challenge.

i did however find someone in russia who said he'll try via remote coding. ive followed his retrofits and coding on instagram and he seems to know his stuff, ill see how it goes with it and report back any updates.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Dinan Shockwave codes the suspension with the addition of the front and rear control arms. About a 3-4 hour job tops as they are quite easy to replace. Hardest part is removing ECU from front passenger side and Radiator reservoir on drivers side to get access to Control arm nut.

HIGHLY recommend if you remove the ECU, PRE TU, on the passenger side, that you order in advance new coolant lines to it. There are two blue plastic "U" retainers that tend to break or get chewed up when being removed and are what holds the coolant lines onto the ECU.

Not expensive, I think I paid under a 100 dollar for both, but if you dont replace them, put the car back together and one of them pops off, you will have fluid leak and might overheat your ECU.

Also ensure you run a full coolant flush bleeding procedure after any kind of radiator fluid work. Google it. Basically ignition on, heater up then down and hold the gas peddle down till the car cycles the Radiator fluid to remove air bubbles.

...Mike
Appreciate 0