2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Spark plug replacement engine misfire

05-08-2024, 11:46 AM   #1
dyang
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f11 520i

Spark plug replacement engine misfire

Hello,

Yesterday I've changed my spark plugs with Bosch ones from NGKs, I've also changed the ignition coils. However, I realised that the fuel economy has become worse, the power has also been reduced. Today, I've checked the spark plugs and they weren't torqued enough. I accidentally torqued them 17 Nm instead of 23 Nm. The tip of the spark plugs became black and one spark plug had deposits on it. After reseating them, the engine started misfiring. What could be the cause? Did I overtighten them?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 03:59 PM   #2
smokinu454
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i

not likely you caused a miss by under tightening unless compression could escape around the plug, not likely that tightening to spec would cause it either. Id lean towards you installed a bad plug or coil. Datalog and see if there is indeed a misfire, if its on just one cylinder I would i would swap the plug and or coil to another cylinder and see if the miss follows to that cylinder. also make sure you plugged all the coils back in at their correct cylinder.
      05-08-2024, 04:43 PM   #3
dyang
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f11 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu454 View Post
not likely you caused a miss by under tightening unless compression could escape around the plug, not likely that tightening to spec would cause it either. Id lean towards you installed a bad plug or coil. Datalog and see if there is indeed a misfire, if its on just one cylinder I would i would swap the plug and or coil to another cylinder and see if the miss follows to that cylinder. also make sure you plugged all the coils back in at their correct cylinder.
Indeed, there was a misfire on cylinder 3, I also got the error mixture too lean, could that be a cause for concern? I also replaced the new ignition coils and spark plugs with the old set and I still got a misfire. Tomorrow I will swap ignition coils and then check whether there are still misfires.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 10:38 AM   #4
iverson03tj
Rep
Drives: e39 M5, F07 535gt xD

Could be injectors. You could also try resetting adaptations.
Appreciate 0