2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Dyno today, no RPM

06-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Dyno today, no RPM

Guys,

I got a baseline dyno run in today, threw down 418.81 rwhp. They couldn't get rwtrq, anyone know where other shops have tapped into/hung onto to get a good RPM reading?

The guys at the shop were awesome, but not much BMW experience, and zero N63 experience.

I need some help if anyone knows.

- Grant
      06-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

IIRC you need to peel back some of the wire sheathing leading to one of the coils and clamp the brown wire to pick up rpm.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
IIRC you need to peel back some of the wire sheathing leading to one of the coils and clamp the brown wire to pick up rpm.
I think they tried the two ignition coils towards the front, but my guess is the sheathing wasn't pulled back far enough to get a good reading.

It's a tight fit, do you think a pair of needle nose pliers and a gentle pull will slide the plastic sheathing back far enough to get to that wire? I want to get it back to them today, before they forget that loose offer to run it one more time free of charge.

Thanks for the help by the way.

- Grant
      06-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclions View Post
I think they tried the two ignition coils towards the front, but my guess is the sheathing wasn't pulled back far enough to get a good reading.

It's a tight fit, do you think a pair of needle nose pliers and a gentle pull will slide the plastic sheathing back far enough to get to that wire? I want to get it back to them today, before they forget that loose offer to run it one more time free of charge.

Thanks for the help by the way.

- Grant
Here's a picture. This is on the passenger side of the engine under the intake tube leading to the air filter. You can see where the sheathing has been pulled back exposing the wires leading to the coil. Yes - I think needle nose pliers would work, but you may be able to get your hand in there and just pry it back a bit with your fingernail.

Looks like my zip tie worked itself loose so I'll need to readjust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sweet, thanks for the picture. I found a good spot on the driver's side in the same spot. Unfortunately, I called the dyno shop about getting in for one run like they discussed so I could get a good torque reading. Boy did they backpedal on that one, or I completely misunderstood what he said. He said he'll "cut me a deal", whatever that means.

I'll get another run in right before the intakes are ready, and this time I'll be prepared for where to get a good RPM reading. Thanks again for the help.

- Grant