2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Engine rattling and other weirdness

04-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Angry Engine rattling and other weirdness

Hey guys,

F10 520d, manufacture Feb 2011, N47 4cyl engine. Only back from the dealership yesterday for a battery replacement (and they flashed the car apparently) and now I have new issues. At this stage I fear I might have become paranoid but at least one problem is definitely there:

1. Ignition on / engine off - on the left side (my left looking towards the car) there seems to be a pump working (guess it's the water pump). Every 5 secs or so it winds down for 0.5 secs and then I hear a different sound on the other side of the hood:

The pump's stopping for a bit can be heard, the other sound not so much, it's quite faint. Is this normal? I've never really paid attention before.

Now the two bigger issues:

2. Every time I turn off the engine there's a definite rattle interrupted by a suction sound. I guess the suction sound is the vacuum valve, but the rattle is definitely not normal:

(This video was recorded first so it's a bit longer)

All I know is it wasn't there 6 months ago.

3. While checking these issue I definitely hear a sound which very much sounds like the time chain! My car is affected according to the PUMA bulletin so I'm really scared/angry. Then again perhaps I'm just paranoid:

Definitely audible - not sure whether it's normal or not. It does seem to come from the the right side towards the back.

I'll go to the dealer again ASAP, but if you have some thoughts much appreciated - I don't want to go with a real issue and be brushed off just because I come up with crazy stuff

Cheers

Last edited by Breach; 04-16-2014 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0