2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums 5-Series GT (F07) Photo/Video/Media Forum Large set of 5-series GT photos (including some great details)

07-31-2009, 06:16 AM   #45
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Hi,

ive seen two personal in Munich...
it looks much better in real life!
im starting to like the design of the gt

Greetz

Marco
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 07:00 AM   #46
Antinontoxic
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I want to hate it... but it does look intriguing.... dammit.
It is a bit like hearing a new Britney Spears song from the radio... you know you are supposed to hate it, but then after a while you find yourself singing the song in shower
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 07:13 AM   #47
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ♥

I tried out my paint skills LOL:

Name:  controller.jpeg
Views: 1208
Size:  38.1 KB
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited by Hula-Hula; 05-09-2011 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 08:11 AM   #48
Poindexter
Revenge of the Nerds
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecenizal View Post
This set of photos of the new 5-series GT comes to us courtesy of Checkered Flag BMW. It was found in the very back of a car-carrier and the folks at Checkered Flag BMW convinced the driver to let them have a look at the car.

Lots of excellent little details are shown in these photos. Take a look.
Nice work Mike. When BMW called to say take the photos down I was secretly hoping someone did save them. When BMW called we didn't realize we had done anything wrong, so we pulled them....BMW did ask nicely.

Yep, I'm the guy who took those images and put them on http://checkeredflag.com

The GT looks soooooo much better in person. I took those photos with a point and shoot and in a hurry - I did not do that car justice. You'd think it has no purpose, but if you need extra cargo space, luxury, and don't need a SUV here's the car! No, it isn't for everyone, but it is nice.

Past Bimmers: E46 M3, E60 M5, and a few Spec E30 race cars

Last edited by Poindexter; 07-31-2009 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #49
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
i am not saying this isnt a great product...i think its even more luxurious than the 7...BUT...its a shame seeing bmw putting so much effort in a product that doesnt belong with what this brand stands for...this bmw board as lost the plot...
Unfortunately, for some of us wagon lovers, there isn't any type of high-performance BMW wagon offered in the US. We, unfortunately, did not receive the M5 wagon and though I would LOVE to see an M3 wagon, I don't think that will ever happen.

This vehicle gives wagon owners some hope that along with these cars in base model forms, some with performance oriented options and/or trim levels will also be offered.

I'm not sure if bashing the brand for expanding their lineup is the right take, how about embrace and praise BMW for seeking out niche cars such as this one. As peoples lifestyles become more and more diverse, they'll be wanting/needing vehicles just as diverse, the old days of Model T's all coming in black are over. Niche vehicles are the wave of future, some will exceed, some will flop. Personally, I hope BMW makes money hand over foot on these cars and is encouraged to seek out other niche vehicles, the next one might be VERY performance oriented. Not everyone loves an M3 coupe or a Z4 M, not that I dislike either, but neither would be practical for me. BTW, my DD is a high-milage 2002 Mazda Protegé5 (wagon), the ZHP stays in the garage...

I'm really digging those silver pictures, and the blacked out black one looks good too. Its starting to remind me of an x5/x6 on the ground. I hope that front fender gap is caused by shipping spring spacers that have not yet been removed and/or isn't a sport package car...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #50
M3_Maker
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

it looks nice and has larger spaces.....
someone think rear is UGLY! well....some people doesn't
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #51
BradF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E53, '08 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
Ummmm....people...yea it's gonna grow on us because lets face it, the front looks like a car and everwhere else it's updated to the fullest...but to me, it's still a pointless design with that lazy looking slouched back. It's not what BMW stands for and these designs are getting in the way of BMW creating real sports cars. Cancelled 4 door Coupe, M3 CSL, supercar, etc. So stop applauding for them because these types of designs are what I would expect Toyota to do, not BMW!
For anyone questioning why BMW is introducing such a car, look no further than the 2010 Porche Panamera. There's a great write-up on the Panamera in the latest issue of Automobile Magazine. The similarities in purpose and execution between the Panamera and 5 GT are uncanny (and they're both ugly). The marketing wizards at BMW are betting that the Panamera will be a success, much like the Cayenne. If a Porche can come out with a four-door family sport-hatchback thingy, BMW must follow suit because they don't want to lose market share. It's that simple. The Panamera has been long in coming, and BMW is responding just in time.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #52
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

OK I don't hate it anymore - but not in love yet either.
      07-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #53
328iAG
Aficionado
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinontoxic View Post
I hate to say this, but I think BMW did it again... I have really started to like it...

It is so strange how almost every BMW design nowadays makes you first feel a bit disappointed but then especially when you see the cars in real life, you start falling in love with them. I think 5 GT is one of the best examples of this.
Yeah. This thing looks hot in black. And I'm really loving the shape of this... Is it okay for a single guy to drive this thing? LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #54
Poindexter
Revenge of the Nerds
United_States
Rep

These photos make the car look taller than it really is. It is a well thought-out/designed and the fit and finish is excellent!

The iDrive screen does look a little small at first glance, but that is due to the inlays on each side. It is actually the same size screen you have in the regular cars. Keep in mind this is basically the new 5 Series with a hatch.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #55
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips335i View Post
Center screen is small because it doesn't look like the car has Navigation or Head Up Display, but it does have Night Vision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMac View Post
I'm guessing no Navi is the reason for the smaller screen. This is how the screen appears in the X5 (one without Navi).
ahhh, wasnt aware the higher class bimmers get a screen even without navi. pretty cool

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #56
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradF View Post
For anyone questioning why BMW is introducing such a car, look no further than the 2010 Porche Panamera. There's a great write-up on the Panamera in the latest issue of Automobile Magazine. The similarities in purpose and execution between the Panamera and 5 GT are uncanny (and they're both ugly). The marketing wizards at BMW are betting that the Panamera will be a success, much like the Cayenne. If a Porche can come out with a four-door family sport-hatchback thingy, BMW must follow suit because they don't want to lose market share. It's that simple. The Panamera has been long in coming, and BMW is responding just in time.
I get you...and although I'm not a big fan of the the Panarama either, at least it's low and and wide. The 5 GT does not look sporty to me in any way what so ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #57
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

From the pics I am not a big fan. The X6 has not grown on me enough to overcome the crappy rear visibility and price premium over an X5. If they can make the GT handle like a normal 5-series, not weigh more, and provide SUV-like practicality I do see the point of one. I think I'd still prefer and X5 Diesel if I was in the market for this kind of vehicle.

A 550 HP M-version of this thing would have me more interested.

The fact is BMW is heading into niches that are very profitable. It probably costs them no more to build a 6-series than a 5-series, but they make $10K - $20K more profit on a 6-series. Same goes for the 6 vs. X5. They have gone down the ultra-differentiation strategy, but as others have pointed out very few of those niches are really truly performance-oriented. Fact is BMW appeals to wealthy people who can afford one. And as they fill these niches, any wealthy person's needs can be matched by a BMW product, so they capture more value.

The question is whether they are pricing everything too high. Normal (non-M) 3-series easily cross into the $50K territory now!
      08-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #58
BradF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E53, '08 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
Just in time??? hello?? anybody home??

MERC CLS FOR ALMOST 5 YEARS NOW?????
Well, if the CLS was a hatchback and a bit more wagonish, you'd have a point.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #59
PaulTheHero
Driving a bmw makes you smile everyday.
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 545i E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
amazing. much better than expected.

i'm glad they decided to go the unique route, instead of sticking to a conservative, easy-on-the-eyes design (like Audis).
Indeed totally agree with you. Audis are definitly boring. I dont see the diffrence anymore when there behind me. Is it a6 a3 a4 etc all the same.
Go on BMW with some good designs!

Greetz
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #60
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
These photos make the car look taller than it really is. It is a well thought-out/designed and the fit and finish is excellent!

The iDrive screen does look a little small at first glance, but that is due to the inlays on each side. It is actually the same size screen you have in the regular cars. Keep in mind this is basically the new 5 Series with a hatch.
This model is a pre-production model and does not have the correct screen. The gaps and alignment as well as other trim and finishing items are not correct.

Having spent time in several pre-production GT models, there are improvements still being made. BMW asked to have the photos taken down b/c they didn't want people to think this was the finished product as it is not. The software in this particular car has not been updated, the rear light alignment and trunk angles are not correct.

This car is NOT the new 5 series with a hatch. The under pinnings are actually from the F01 7 series; this model will be slated in between the 5 and 7. There will be some likeness with the F10 but the chassis and other features will be different.

The 8 speed is amazing and does not have the hunt and peck issues other manufacturers are experiencing, the new addition of brake energy regeneration and glass mat batteries / the 8 speed will add 5-8% greater economy.

For a finished product look at the 530d GT in the Munich Airport- that is a production version of the car, but these are great shots you took and hopefully people will see that it looks better in "real" life photos, it is actually not a bad looking vehicle.

Best of luck!
      08-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #61
Dazzler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez 2007, 1M on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpsb View Post
now just imagine how much better it would look without the silly orange reflector on the side...

is the US DOT ever going to get rid of that SILLY requirement??
100% agree - what a joke it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #62
Poindexter
Revenge of the Nerds
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
This model is a pre-production model and does not have the correct screen. The gaps and alignment as well as other trim and finishing items are not correct.

Having spent time in several pre-production GT models, there are improvements still being made. BMW asked to have the photos taken down b/c they didn't want people to think this was the finished product as it is not. The software in this particular car has not been updated, the rear light alignment and trunk angles are not correct.

This car is NOT the new 5 series with a hatch. The under pinnings are actually from the F01 7 series; this model will be slated in between the 5 and 7. There will be some likeness with the F10 but the chassis and other features will be different.

The 8 speed is amazing and does not have the hunt and peck issues other manufacturers are experiencing, the new addition of brake energy regeneration and glass mat batteries / the 8 speed will add 5-8% greater economy.

For a finished product look at the 530d GT in the Munich Airport- that is a production version of the car, but these are great shots you took and hopefully people will see that it looks better in "real" life photos, it is actually not a bad looking vehicle.

Best of luck!

Thanks for clarifying

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:02 AM   #63
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

It does grow on you that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #64
bobinsofla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2005 350Z Touring  [0.00]
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
I guess it's safe to say that hideous blunt nose design is due to the asinine pedestrian safety laws in Europe (UK)?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #65
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXXXIX View Post
it looks really jacked up. it looks like an x6 almost. the marketing images def dont make it look like this
its pretty nice, still trying to understand this car but overall its nice. but wtf is the iDrive screen so small!?
No, it's no where near the X5/6 level.

the car looks nice, but no spare tire is a deal killer for me.
      08-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #66
jdsboston
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi MonacoBlue 6spdmanual

Garage List
2006 330XI  [0.00]
why no roundel on the steering wheel?

why is there no roundel logo on the steering wheel? am i missing something?
Appreciate 0