2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Hello from Canada

09-08-2023, 10:32 PM   #1
Redneckism
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 535iX

Smile Hello from Canada

New to the forums.

printf("Hello world.");

Just picked up a 2016 535i XDrive with 145,000km (90k miles). Had its safety check done (government mandated check) and while the car was up on the lift everything underneath looked great. I know the previous owner did the regular maintenance stuff but I don't have enough service records on it to know what's been done and what hasn't.

So I plan to do the usual engine, transmission, front rear diff, transfer case, brake, and coolant fluid change. At this mileage, what other preventive stuff should I be considering? Plugs? Water pump? Timing chain? The belt feels new so I'm not too worried about it. I'll also take a look at the battery when I pick up the car and will replace it if it's too old.

I'd hate for the damn thing to break down in the middle of the winter and leave me stranded so I'd rather be proactive about things and minimize the chance of having to call a tow truck in minus 20 weather.

Your input is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 01:31 AM   #2
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckism View Post
New to the forums.

printf("Hello world.");

Just picked up a 2016 535i XDrive with 145,000km (90k miles). Had its safety check done (government mandated check) and while the car was up on the lift everything underneath looked great. I know the previous owner did the regular maintenance stuff but I don't have enough service records on it to know what's been done and what hasn't.

So I plan to do the usual engine, transmission, front rear diff, transfer case, brake, and coolant fluid change. At this mileage, what other preventive stuff should I be considering? Plugs? Water pump? Timing chain? The belt feels new so I'm not too worried about it. I'll also take a look at the battery when I pick up the car and will replace it if it's too old.

Your input is much appreciated.
Notwithstanding the awesome coding reference (got my Masters in computer science @ U Waterloo in '89), check / replace the water pump. All else seems on track.
Appreciate 0