2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Problem with F10

05-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Acquarian
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: new F10 - 535 BMW

Problem with F10

Have a new 535, and within 2 weeks of new , the gear box had to be changed,
The car worked fine until now, and the problem is that at speeds around 14 to 20 mph the cars jerks, and twice it has got stuck in second gear,
The car is with the dealer, and it is been now almost two weeks and they still cannot resolve what is wrong with it,
question ..., if they cannot fix it, will they consider giving me a new one, knowing that is less than 12 months old?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Depending where you live, this is exactly the sort of problem that lemon laws were designed to assist.

BMW does not want any of its cars to be branded a lemon; therefore, BMWNA will typically intervene and buy back the car before it gets to that point.

Keep meticulous documentation. Try to use email in place of the phone when contacting your dealer about this problem as much as possible.

I would be very disappointed and always feel free to talk to a lawyer. Be wary of the lemon law lawyers. Once you get them started they will stalk you like a predator. Some lemon law layers may not accept a buyback as an option since it interferes with their ability to get compensated. So, try to deal with BMW directly as long as reasonable.

Nevertheless, BMW is at the top of its game right now and they have programs in place to make you happy. And they won't make you sue them or anything like that so as long as your claim is legitimate like it sounds you may have here.

Finally, it is very important that you convey your dissatisfaction in writing to build your case. It is equally important to give BMW the fair chance to repair the car first. Once you cross the threshold into a month of downtime you are a good candidate for a buyback especially when you never got to drive the car.

Be reasonable and good things will happen in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acquarian View Post
Have a new 535, and within 2 weeks of new , the gear box had to be changed,
The car worked fine until now, and the problem is that at speeds around 14 to 20 mph the cars jerks, and twice it has got stuck in second gear,
The car is with the dealer, and it is been now almost two weeks and they still cannot resolve what is wrong with it,
question ..., if they cannot fix it, will they consider giving me a new one, knowing that is less than 12 months old?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

Send an e-mail or letter to your dealer "head". Explain your expectation out of a 70K BMW, and how you ended up with a faulty car that might have gone through a problematic assembly line during manufacturing. Ask them that you would like your car replaced.

If no answer within a a week, then send a follow-up e-mail or letter and this time copy your regional BMW office.

Most importantly you have to be very patient and not worry too much during this long process, because it can be stressful... and the last thing you want is for this issue to have it's toll on your health. As my father would say: what you save in money you pay with your health (of course, at the time, he was referring to his cheap broadband connection which was frequently down)

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
yogi799
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

That sucks... I guess no make is totally bullet-proof. Hopefully this is extremely rare, although the jerky transmission has been reported in quite a few places. I've test-driven the F10 multiple times and the tranny was very smooth.

Kill time at the pump!
http://logmympg.com
Appreciate 0