2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Snap-in Cradle for the iPhone 4: anyone have one?

05-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Argelius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi (on order)

Snap-in Cradle for the iPhone 4: anyone have one?

Can anyone, who actually has the snap-in cradle for an iPhone 4 describe what all it lets you do and what you think of it?

My understanding is that it charges the phone and improves reception using the car's antenna.

It also employs the video-out functionality of the iPhone thereby letting you see iPhone screens on your Nav screen. From what I've gathered, the only thing that works seeing the native iPod controls. And also, you can watch iTunes videos (while parked).

I was hoping the cradle would gain you access to more iPhone apps and features. Seems like it doesn't to much at all at this point.

Am I missing anything?

I know this is unrelated to the cradle, but when I ordered the car, I waited for the post March 2011 build so I could get the BMW Apps feature which is turning out to be pretty useless (facebook, twitter and Internet radio) with the app receiving no upgrades since it was first launched.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Ict528i
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i alpine white

I think you have a pretty good handle on what it does. I have it. I do not like the ipod controls via the cradle. I prefer the controls with the usb cable. The usb cradle charges too. So...what you get is the video function so you can sit in the car (in Park) and watch video and get 1 more bar of reception. I spend 99% of my mileage in area with great cell signals so my 2 cents on reception is more opinion that scientifically studied fact.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
jhill
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 M8 Coupe

In addition to the "BMW Connected" iPhone app (with "automotive grade" facebook and twitter client and web radio), the native Pandora integration through the iDrive is great. Just launch Pandora on the iPhone while plugged into the snap-in (or cable), and Pandora shows up as a BMW app in the list--by far the coolest "app" feature so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
x-fibre
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i xDrive Msport

Pandora also works with the regular Apple cable
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
arthman
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 530xi

re: Pandora, not sure if anyone else can verify, but with my iPhone 4, ....... if I make an outbound phone call, not only is the pandora app interrupted (as it should be), but it also deactivates and the app is disconnected, and I cannot play Pandora again until I unlock my phone, and retap on the app. it drives me nuts.

inbound calls are fine - it starts playing again when the call is done,

anyone else note this? suspect programming bug.

djinn
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Yes. The issue seems to be that the idrive sends a command through the USB or cradle to continue playing the iPod playlist after a the phone hangs up.

The idrive (non BMW apps version) wants to place the iPhone into a known and predictable state. The non BMW apps version is not aware of a source other than iPod music. So, if you are listening to a source provided from another app and your source gets interrupted by a phone call, the idrive issues a "restore iPod music" command on hangup. That spells the end of the alternate source you selected!

Now, if your version of the idrive supports video and apps via USB then you may not have this exact problem.

The cure, that I found seems to work, is to get a standard 12 volt car adapter power cable and plug it into the center console. The other end should be adapted to fit into the iPhone or iPod. Next, use the 1/8" phone plug into the aux port of the center console and plug the end into the iphones's headphone jack.

Now, to get your app to keep playing before and after hangups, make sure you put it in the background mode.

So, Bluetooth will control your iPhone and nothing will try to establish a connection to your iPod music function. Thus, your alternate source will stick after phone calls in or out.

Just be sure to select the aux input on the idrive. The post September builds will not let you use the USB and headphone cable at the same time. So, you have to use a dumb power cable for the iPhone.

The downside to this approach is that your signal is processed via analog and not digital, plus you will lose the ability to control music via iPod app with idrive.

The cure is to switch to the white apple cable into USB when you want to control music again via idrive from iPod app.

If you have enough juice, the dry power cable is not needed. Just connect a cable between the iPod headphone and the aux input in the center console. Don't forget to put your app in background mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthman View Post
re: Pandora, not sure if anyone else can verify, but with my iPhone 4, ....... if I make an outbound phone call, not only is the pandora app interrupted (as it should be), but it also deactivates and the app is disconnected, and I cannot play Pandora again until I unlock my phone, and retap on the app. it drives me nuts.

inbound calls are fine - it starts playing again when the call is done,

anyone else note this? suspect programming bug.

djinn
Appreciate 0