2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Drivetrain Malfunction

01-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #23
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I had same issue this weekend. But temporary. I switched car off and on. Problem went away on restart.

Went to dealer. They said the codes indicated a fuel sensor malfunction and they are replacing the sensor tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #24
Sidbass
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i x-drive m-sport

Drivetrain malfunction 550 xi msport

Folks,
I got my 2011 F10 550i xdrive m-sport in August of 2011. Within the first few weeks, one day as I started the vehicle and slowly pulled out of the driveway, The drivetrain malfunction screen came up and the lights lit up on the dash. More alarmingly the car started to buck violently like those paid rides that simulate a bucking horse. Power loss also occurred so i immediately switched it off. Wiped the sweat off my brow, said a prayer and restarted it. no issue. and on i went. few weeks later...again same thing coming out of the driveway. never happened when I was on the road already. Always just as I started the car and always with the violent bucking.
So then finally i took it in. They did see the errors, but in the end BMW Toronto gave no list of possible explanations and did not explain having done anything to avert the problem in the future but said it should be ok. I took the car and went about 10 minutes away. Stopped, made a purchase in a store. got back in and started it and there it was AGAIN. i immediately called my SA and told him it happened again! he said to bring it in. I said i didnt have the time and would do so in the future.
Since that ironic episode it has not happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

It's most likely related to the fuel pump/sensor/control unit issue. There have been increasing number of occurences reported in this forum and Bimmerfest forum.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=596310

Most likely it's not the fuel pump, but it's the fuel level sensor control unit.

I have the same car as you but have not yet experience this issue ... hopefully, I won't.
btw, BMW Toronto ususally does a pretty job in sorting out this problem. If no luck, try Parkview (sister dealership of BMW Toronto).

Last edited by bobblehead; 01-26-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #26
ccboye
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Excuse the rant – I’m pi$$ed! I need some direction on resolving my concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccboye View Post
So I was finishing up my last minute christmas shopping at the mall yesterda evening and about to go and pick up some food for christmas day. As I pulled out of the parking lot my 2011 550i shuddered and started shaking violently. Then I saw the engine check light with "Drivetrain Malfunction" message come on. I turned off the engine and let it sit for few minutes and tried again but the engine wouldn't start and the whole systems shut down within a minute. Same results each time

Got on with BMW Assist and had the car towed to the nearest dealer; of course they were closed and no one on site. Left the car, called for a taxi to take me to the nearest airport for a rental. Now I have to wait till tomorrow before I can speak to anyone at the dealership to find out what happened.

I have owned a few cars in the past(2nd 5 series) and I have never have to go through such an ordeal. Here's $75K car with only 17k miles...I'm very disappointed!
I just got my car back today since the day it broke down and got towed to the dealer. That makes it 34 days in service and of loss of use. The technicians were slow in diagnosing the issue and I was told there was delay in getting the parts from Germany. Parts replaced are: Fuel Supply Module, Low Pressure Fuel Sensor, Low Pressure Fuel Pump, and Oil Pump (for a pre-existing issue). I was given a loaner, but give me a break; I didn’t buy a 2011 550i so that I may drive around in a 328i for a month.

What really pisses me off is that during this entire ordeal nobody (service dealer personnel, BMW client relations) even expressed any regret or goodwill for my trouble. I called client relations 2 weeks ago to see what they were willing to do about the situation. This rude lady called me back and basically told me to piss off and that all they can do is to fix the car. To add insult to injury, BMW Roadside Assistance is refusing to reimburse for the expenses I incurred for getting a taxi and rental car after the car broke down on Christmas Eve because I was less than 100 miles from my house. I didn’t know about this condition and the person who helped that night didn’t say anything about it. What kind of BS is this?

I am shocked to find out that BMW’s customer service is just as bad now as it was when I bought my first BMW (530i) in 2002. I replaced that with a Lexus and received excellent customer service. It now appears that I should have stayed with them instead (and waited for the upcoming GS-F)!

The car can now be considered as a lemon under the California Lemon law since it has been in service for various issues for a cumulative total of 60 days since last September. Based on experience, it sounds like BMW only responds and reacts positively to customers when faced with legal action.

To start, I want to write a letter to the highest person in charge of client relations at BMW North America, and as well as sending a copy to someone at the corporate office in Germany. If anyone knows of who to contact or an address to write to, please e-mail or pm me directly with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #27
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Very sorry to hear your ordeal.

Here are some info. - to get started. If you are going to mail a letter to bmwna, do it by registered mail.

http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsreleas...AFCA09?&id=232
http://www.bmwproblems.com/contact_bmw.html

Quote:
I just got my car back today since the day it broke down and got towed to the dealer. That makes it 34 days in service and of loss of use. The technicians were slow in diagnosing the issue and I was told there was delay in getting the parts from Germany. Parts replaced are: Fuel Supply Module, Low Pressure Fuel Sensor, Low Pressure Fuel Pump, and Oil Pump (for a pre-existing issue). I was given a loaner, but give me a break; I didn’t buy a 2011 550i so that I may drive around in a 328i for a month.

What really pisses me off is that during this entire ordeal nobody (service dealer personnel, BMW client relations) even expressed any regret or goodwill for my trouble. I called client relations 2 weeks ago to see what they were willing to do about the situation. This rude lady called me back and basically told me to piss off and that all they can do is to fix the car. To add insult to injury, BMW Roadside Assistance is refusing to reimburse for the expenses I incurred for getting a taxi and rental car after the car broke down on Christmas Eve because I was less than 100 miles from my house. I didn’t know about this condition and the person who helped that night didn’t say anything about it. What kind of BS is this?

I am shocked to find out that BMW’s customer service is just as bad now as it was when I bought my first BMW (530i) in 2002. I replaced that with a Lexus and received excellent customer service. It now appears that I should have stayed with them instead (and waited for the upcoming GS-F)!

The car can now be considered as a lemon under the California Lemon law since it has been in service for various issues for a cumulative total of 60 days since last September. Based on experience, it sounds like BMW only responds and reacts positively to customers when faced with legal action.

To start, I want to write a letter to the highest person in charge of client relations at BMW North America, and as well as sending a copy to someone at the corporate office in Germany. If anyone knows of who to contact or an address to write to, please e-mail or pm me directly with it.

Last edited by bobblehead; 01-27-2012 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #28
Alshamsi
Private
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535i

I have that problem as well after i tuned (software) .. my love

How could we fix this problem ?

by this way

Last edited by Alshamsi; 01-27-2012 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #29
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alshamsi View Post

I have that problem as well after i tuned (software) .. my love

How could we fix this problem ?

by this way

If you would concentrate a little more on the camera, you might get a better photographic result.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #30
ccboye
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Very sorry to hear your ordeal.

Here are some info. - to get started. If you are going to mail a letter to bmwna, do it by registered mail.

http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsreleas...AFCA09?&id=232
http://www.bmwproblems.com/contact_bmw.html
bobblehead, thanks for sharing the links. I've now secured a name at BMW NA and that of the Western Region vice-president. I will send them both certified letters.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #31
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Just bought my wife a 2012 F10 550i X-Drive - picked it up a little over a week ago. Today, she left the house and got 100 yards down the road before the thoroughbred racehorse became the bucking bronco that many of you have described. The car is at the dealership presently. Seems like an issue that BMW knows about, so I'm hopeful they will take care of her car quickly, and also take care of the broader issue asap!!
      02-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #32
ccboye
Private
United_States
Rep

Let's hope that you get your wife's car back quickly than what happened in my case. Apparently they have to order the parts from Germany so expect delays.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #33
EBRSKIH
Chef
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Please elaborate...I'd hate to go through another lemon/buyback episode with BMW if this problem is unfixable!
Went to the dealer 8 times and the problem kept reoccuring so I returned the car and told them I wouldnt make any more payments, if the problem is coming up now itll come in the future as well so I suggest you lemon it. They fu*ked us over last time with a lemon car so this time we agreed to continue paying the remainder on a brand new m pkg 550 so its a win in my case. Good luck
2011 550i Sapphire Black
- 12.960@109 - lemon'd
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #34
EBRSKIH
Chef
Rep

I had my fuel pump, water pump, ignition coil, ignition 1-8, and a few other things such as hoses etc. replaced and the problem was still there
2011 550i Sapphire Black
- 12.960@109 - lemon'd
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #35
ccboye
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBRSKIH View Post
Went to the dealer 8 times and the problem kept reoccuring so I returned the car and told them I wouldnt make any more payments, if the problem is coming up now itll come in the future as well so I suggest you lemon it. They fu*ked us over last time with a lemon car so this time we agreed to continue paying the remainder on a brand new m pkg 550 so its a win in my case. Good luck
Did you have a choice between buyback or replacement, and you chose replacement? That was definitely a win for you!
I'm waiting to hear from the two people I wrote to and see what they say. If they try mess around with me, then I'm immediately taking the legal route. I have an attorney on standby! I could use some pointers from you, if you don't mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #36
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Just bought my wife a 2012 F10 550i X-Drive - picked it up a little over a week ago. Today, she left the house and got 100 yards down the road before the thoroughbred racehorse became the bucking bronco that many of you have described. The car is at the dealership presently. Seems like an issue that BMW knows about, so I'm hopeful they will take care of her car quickly, and also take care of the broader issue asap!!
Update... our new 550i with under 400 miles on it remains at the dealership. The service manager yesterday basically said BMW does not understand the issue, but they feel it is a fuel vapor-lock situation. It feels like we're heading toward another N54 HPFP type scenario...
      02-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #37
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Low pressure fuel level sensor and fuel line...

Just got a call from the dealership today, and apparently BMW has asked that they replace the low pressure fuel level sensor as well as the low pressure fuel line. Both items are backordered in the US, so they are coming from Germany and are expected to arrive mid-February. One other interesting thing the service advisor mentioned was that BMW NA has asked for a fuel sample from the vehicle (my wife had just made her first fillup after purchasing the vehicle -- premium Chevron, which I have run reliably in my 2011 E92 M3).

For those of you who experienced this same issue, does this sound like the way your issue was resolved?
      02-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #38
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

No.

I had my fuel level sensor replaced when my car was 3 months old. Since then and 20,000km later, no issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #39
EBRSKIH
Chef
Rep

Quote:
Did you have a choice between buyback or replacement, and you chose replacement? That was definitely a win for you!
I'm waiting to hear from the two people I wrote to and see what they say. If they try mess around with me, then I'm immediately taking the legal route. I have an attorney on standby! I could use some pointers from you, if you don't mind.
Dont let them waste any time fixing the problem or getting you into a new car. Stay on their backs and show them youre serious. Those are the only real pointers I can give you. Luckily I had no need to get an attorney considering they are cooperating. Good luck
2011 550i Sapphire Black
- 12.960@109 - lemon'd
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #40
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Just got a call from the dealership today, and apparently BMW has asked that they replace the low pressure fuel level sensor as well as the low pressure fuel line. Both items are backordered in the US, so they are coming from Germany and are expected to arrive mid-February. One other interesting thing the service advisor mentioned was that BMW NA has asked for a fuel sample from the vehicle (my wife had just made her first fillup after purchasing the vehicle -- premium Chevron, which I have run reliably in my 2011 E92 M3).

For those of you who experienced this same issue, does this sound like the way your issue was resolved?
No.

Resolved under lemon law.

Keep track of how long you have been without your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #41
ccboye
Private
United_States
Rep

Got a response from BMW NA...my car is getting lemoned! Starting a new post...check it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #42
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Latest update, kind of interesting I think.

First, the bad news: the low pressure fuel level sensor is back-ordered in Germany, but apparently new parts are in and will ship to the US in the next day or two... meaning (I think) that they will dock state-side at the dealer next week. So likely no 5-series in the garage this week.

Second, the more interesting news. I got a call last week from BMW NA, who asked me "what can we do for you to make things right?" I indicated that at this point, we want to keep the car provided the issue is resolved. Then it became a question of financial remuneration for the inconvenience. Today, BMW NA called back and provided a number, but mentioned they would look for me to sign some form of agreement. Does anyone have any experience with this approach, and if so, does this preclude me from exercising any "Lemon Law" opportunities should this issue continue?

Last edited by gpitts; 02-14-2012 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #43
ccboye
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Latest update, kind of interesting I think.

First, the bad news: the low pressure fuel level sensor is back-ordered in Germany, but apparently new parts are in and will ship to the US in the next day or two... meaning (I think) that they will dock state-side at the dealer next week. So likely no 5-series in the garage this week.

Second, the more interesting news. I got a call last week from BMW NA, who asked me "what can we do for you to make things right?" I indicated that at this point, we want to keep the car provided the issue is resolved. Then it became a question of financial remuneration for the inconvenience. Today, BMW NA called back and provided a number, but mentioned they would look for me to sign some form of agreement. Does anyone have any experience with this approach, and if so, does this preclude me from exercising any "Lemon Law" opportunities should this issue continue?
Quite interesting because it looks the HPFP issue with the turbo engines has reared it's ugly head again in the form of a LPFP issue with the F10's!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #44
dave70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 cayenne turbo; 2013 MB GL

Drive Train Malfunction

I have had this problem on and off for the past 3 months. It started after my battery drained one weekend and bmw came and jumped the car, which was in my garage. After they jumped it, all the warning lights came on and I could not use turn signals or open the windows, turn on the radio etc..

After I turned off the car and restarted everything seemed ok until the drive train malfunction issue started the next day or so. So far they have replaced the fuel injecters and fuel pump but the problem persists. I asked if it could be the Dinan Stage II I had installed at the same time they were attempting to fix the problem but my service rep says its not the case, almost as if she knows more than she is letting on or wants to tell me. I have had the car since last April and have 14k miles on it.

It often times idles very roughly and then the car starts to shake and the warning comes on. The car has little power and I have to pull over and restart it to "fix" the problem. Sometimes the idle is rough and the car shakes and I think the light is about to come on, but it does not.

Its going back tomorrow and they told me they might have to keep it for awhile.....

If this latest fix fails, I will start to explore the repurchase option with BMW NA. I bought the car in NJ but use BMW of Greenwich for service, since I live close by. Do I have to go back to dealer that I purchased the car from or can I start to deal with BMW of Greenwich and BMW NA to address this issue?
Appreciate 0