2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Drivetrain Malfunction

02-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #45
harmr64
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Angry Drive Train Malfunction

I pulled in to the grocery store last night to pick up a few things. Got in the car to leave and was backing out of the space when the car started pitching violently as described in some of the other posts. The "Drive Train Malfuntion" light came on and the car essentially died. Had to have it towed to the local dealership. Car is a year old with 9000 miles. Had never shown any signs of this problem before last night. Still waiting to hear from the service representative but this does not look good based on other posts. This problem appears to be manifesting itself in more cars. I have not had a car towed in years. Very disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #46
C'sM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xdrive wagon

Same here :-(

I bought my used 2011 550ix with 16,400 miles less than a month ago and have experienced the drive-train malfunction twice.

The first time was in a parking lot. I turned the engine off and than re-started it and it ran fine.

The second time was when I stopped by the dealership to tell them about my experience and when I went to leave it started acting up again. This time I turned the engine off and tried to start it again but it wouldn't until the third try and then the check engine light came on. I immediately pulled it into the service bay at the BMW dealership and they ran some diagnostics. They said it needed a part for the fuel system (I think it was a fuel pump?) which they had to order, but they said I should be fine driving until they get the part in. They now have the part in and I am scheduled to drop it off next Thursday. When I drop it off I will get more detailed information on exactly what part they are replacing and why. Hopefully this isn't something more troublesome........
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #47
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

I had the same error a couple days ago "drivetrain malfuction, drive moderately, full drivetrain output not available - see service center"

BMW Toronto just replaced the Turbo Actuator, which they confirmed was the issue as the found that the part was damaged/defective.

We'll see how the car responds...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #48
mcramen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 '11 535i xDrive SGM

oh my.... I just got this error this evening AFTER I got back my 535i xDrive today.

I picked up the car around 6PM and things looked like the very first day with the car.. (feel like... because I was driving rental car for weeks)

After few hours... 4 hrs?
My car was parked at mall parking lot and I was drinking coffee.
Suddenly, the warning "Drivetrain malfunction" came up and car is jolting/shaking like crazy.
Turned off and on again, but it still there and now it was coming up like crazy popped up 10 times consecutively.
I turned off the engine and let it sit there for minutes..
and the warning was gone, but this time "engine check" light turned on.

Drove home under 30mph and will bring it to dealer in the morning....
frustrating....
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #49
mcramen
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramen
oh my.... I just got this error this evening AFTER I got back my 535i xDrive today.

I picked up the car around 6PM and things looked like the very first day with the car.. (feel like... because I was driving rental car for weeks)

After few hours... 4 hrs?
My car was parked at mall parking lot and I was drinking coffee.
Suddenly, the warning "Drivetrain malfunction" came up and car is jolting/shaking like crazy.
Turned off and on again, but it still there and now it was coming up like crazy popped up 10 times consecutively.
I turned off the engine and let it sit there for minutes..
and the warning was gone, but this time "engine check" light turned on.

Drove home under 30mph and will bring it to dealer in the morning....
frustrating....
here is at dealer.
told the SA about the problem and couldn't see the list of error codes.
but SA also mentioned engine malfunction which I didn't see last night.

was able to drive this morning but the car vibrating and making rattling noise like before. (that was why my car was brought to dealer last time)

waiting here and hopefully they figured it out at least.
      03-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #50
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Are these cases of the HPFP still going bad on these cars? The symptoms sure sounds familiar with the N54 335 guys.
      03-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #51
mcramen
Private
United_States
Rep

ok after two hrs of waiting at dealer.
SA came over me and told it has problem with "fuel" system. but didn't go thru the detail.
giving me a loaner so they will do the work on the car..

sound familiar anyone?
      03-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #52
mcramen
Private
United_States
Rep

Fuel pump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramen View Post
ok after two hrs of waiting at dealer.
SA came over me and told it has problem with "fuel" system. but didn't go thru the detail.
giving me a loaner so they will do the work on the car..

sound familiar anyone?
SA updated me over the phone saying the problem is "FUEL PUMP" - aww sounds much familiar.
He ordered the part and it will be in tomorrow. Maybe job will be done by tomorrow as well.
So I told him not to rush and make sure everything, but I'm sensing it will happen again and again.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #53
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmr64 View Post
I pulled in to the grocery store last night to pick up a few things. Got in the car to leave and was backing out of the space when the car started pitching violently as described in some of the other posts. The "Drive Train Malfuntion" light came on and the car essentially died. Had to have it towed to the local dealership. Car is a year old with 9000 miles. Had never shown any signs of this problem before last night. Still waiting to hear from the service representative but this does not look good based on other posts. This problem appears to be manifesting itself in more cars. I have not had a car towed in years. Very disappointed!
I had the same issue with the '11 E70 35i. There was an issue with the EDM & condesation found in the main computer. I solve the issue by trading it in for an '12 E70 35i Sport. So far, it's working flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #54
mcramen
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramen View Post
SA updated me over the phone saying the problem is "FUEL PUMP" - aww sounds much familiar.
He ordered the part and it will be in tomorrow. Maybe job will be done by tomorrow as well.
So I told him not to rush and make sure everything, but I'm sensing it will happen again and again.

The fuel pump they are replacing is "High Pressure Fuel Pump" AKA HPFP....

off topic:
this morning someone from BMW sevice called me.
he said he got the part and will finish the work by end of the day.
But weird thing is he wasn't my SA and his name was Micheal.
So I thought he was mechanic working on my car.
Around 3PM, same guy called me and the car is ready to be picked up by 5PM.
this time he claimed he is my SA and his name is Micheal. (which is not my SA)
I assumed my SA is off today and he took my file and doing the job.

I went to Service and there is no guy named Micheal.
And surprisingly, my SA is there and asked me why I'm here.
I told him the story and we called back the number on my cell.
And the phone number Micheal called me was Bayside BMW Service.
But my car is in Hassel BMW. I went in Bayside last year for simple fuse service.
I asked for that guy and expected little explanation why Bayside BMW contacted me. But he said thank you and hung up on me.
The more strange thing is the SA from Bayside knew my last name.
not sure he was talking about my car or other's, but he mentioned about fuel thing as well.
well... he wasted my good 2hr in this afternoon and got more reasons not go to Bayside even it's closer than Hassel.

Oh... and my car wasn't ready yet and probably finish by Monday... hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #55
mcramen
Private
United_States
Rep

Ok... after a week in dealer, just got my car back...
crazy... I have been driven my car less than 12hrs in past month. (thanks allstate for delaying the claim so I saved my mileage!)

Apparently, they replaced HPFP and tested it.
But I doubt it will be OK for sure.

13-51-7-616-170 Exchange High-Pressure Pump:135019
13-53-7-582-770 ASA-BOLT:139500
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #56
Sidbass
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i x-drive m-sport

I had this problem in my August 2011 delivery 550ix m-sport three times in 3 months. The first two times a reatart solved it. The last time it would restart. Then it would and it would switch off after shaking like a minor tremor. Then finally restarted and kept shaking. Would not go over 25-30kmph. I happnend to be 5 minutes from dealer. Drove it there. Put my SA in the car an had him for the first time experience the issue.
Lots of shuddering and power loss and frustration. After fuel pump change the first time and telling me a variety of things the second time they asked what fuel I use on this third occasion. I said petrocanada ultra 94 octane. They measured ethanol in
My fuel which came back at 15%. They said stop using ethanol containing fuel. Told me to switch to Shell 91. It's been 2 months since. Haven't had the problem. They said its the engines way 'to protect' itself from 'bad' fuel. I found it hard to believe that the most expensive high octane fuel is bad for my F10 but hey what do I know. So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #57
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Add me to this bs list. My car just got towed away with fuel malfunctions. The car started shaking and wouldn't start.
      04-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #58
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

For those that car the diagnosed issue is low fuel pressure sensor.
      05-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #59
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super R. View Post
For those that car the diagnosed issue is low fuel pressure sensor.
I hope that is the case with your car, but it was not for mine... I just signed "Lemon Law" papers earlier this week. BMW does not yet understand the issue well enough to declare a resolution. In order to fix a problem, you have to understand it...
      05-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #60
blueridger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
I have a one-week old 2012 535i xdrive with ~200 miles on it. Friday evening I started the car and the engine started "pulsing." The engine RPM was cycling up to ~2000 RPMs back to idle, over and over. This happened immediately after start-up so the car was still in Park at the time. This lasted about a minute, then it smoothed out. I am watching this thread closely hoping I am not seeing early signs of the problem.

Last edited by blueridger; 05-06-2012 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #61
avelvin
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d M Sport xDrive wi

I have F11 530 D M Sport Touring which is 12 months old and has 3389 miles on the clock. Today I started the car and after 30 seconds the car shuddered and stalled with a 'Drivetrain Malfunction' error on the main display. It was followed a few seconds later with a string of other faults including fuel and active suspension faults. After I restarted the car it did the very same thing but ended on a fault saying 'Comfort ride level' malfunction on both occasions I got the message that either ride or comfort performance have been reduced. I used BMW Assist but the lady said I needed to get it to a dealer !!

Watch this space !!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #62
aggiecruiser
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

What have I gotten myself into?

Okay,

Have not had this car more than a week. Less than 500 miles on it. This is my first BMW purchase.

Facts:
1. 2012 535i M Sport
2. My wife (primary driver) has had several occurances of what she describes as a warning "Transmission not engaged in P" Flashed for a few seconds, and then goes away. I have not seen this error myself. This occured during the first tank of gas we ran through the car after picking it up from BMW last Saturday.
3. I talked my wife into letting me drive the car to work today. I filled the car up with premium gas this afternoon at Shell station.
4. Make it five miles down the road in my neighborhood, and the car starts to shift stangely, (hesitation / loss of power)
5. Turn the corner on my street - LOUD clunk with the Transmission Malfuction error on both the main display screen and the dash. Says to drive moderatley.
6. Make it home with low power.
7. Turn car off, error is dismissed.
8. Pissed.
9. Car sitting in garage.

I guess I will call this in tomorrow morning. I didn't sign up for this. I need reliabilty.

-aggiecruiser
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #63
lton
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

First time buy BMW with this lemon!!!

aggiecruiser,
I got the same case as you are. My 528 have this Transmission Malfunction Warning on the 4th day of use (less than 300 miles). Schedule to have the car for service today. Will see.
lton
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #64
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
I experienced the drive-train malfunction couple of days ago. Went to the dealer and they told me the problem is with the 8 fuel injectors. They replaced all 8 of them. Wasn't happy to hear that since the car has only 5k miles.
      06-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #65
crl8474
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Another one bites the dust

My issue occurred on Tuesday. I'm 5 minutes from my office when I hear what sounds like a jet engine roaring under the hood - it literally sounded like a large turbine at full boost but I was doing 20 mph. I slowed down, came to a stop and the sound gradually disappeared. I then started to drive again and the sound didn't return. After stopping at the next stop light, I pull into the intersetion when I hear a loud clunk and the drivetrain malfunction message appears. I immediately turn off the car and restart but it will only studdar and now the drivetrain error message is replaced by a fuel system malfunction message and then a start/stop disabled error message. The car died immediately. Had it towed to the dealer but haven't gotten the official word yet. My 90 day old 535i has 8,000 miles.

I moved to the 535i because I had major issues with my n54 335i including 3 hpfp's, injectors, a/c evaporator leak, an unfixable brake squel, and a failing turbo. Now I feel like an idiot for staying with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #66
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl8474 View Post
My issue occurred on Tuesday. I'm 5 minutes from my office when I hear what sounds like a jet engine roaring under the hood - it literally sounded like a large turbine at full boost but I was doing 20 mph. I slowed down, came to a stop and the sound gradually disappeared. I then started to drive again and the sound didn't return. After stopping at the next stop light, I pull into the intersetion when I hear a loud clunk and the drivetrain malfunction message appears. I immediately turn off the car and restart but it will only studdar and now the drivetrain error message is replaced by a fuel system malfunction message and then a start/stop disabled error message. The car died immediately. Had it towed to the dealer but haven't gotten the official word yet. My 90 day old 535i has 8,000 miles.

I moved to the 535i because I had major issues with my n54 335i including 3 hpfp's, injectors, a/c evaporator leak, an unfixable brake squel, and a failing turbo. Now I feel like an idiot for staying with BMW.
If it's any consolation, BMW treated me well for my similar 535 problem and I think they'll do the same for you. It took a while, but now I'm in an X5d and happy. Keep track of the time it's in the shop and get to know the service manager. He needs to be on your side if this becomes a continuing issue.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0