2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Drivetrain Malfunction

01-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #89
rd62
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M Sport

I received a DTM warning for the first time Friday evening on my 2011 550i. Car shuddered a bit but not seriously. I pulled over and turned the engine off, let it sit for a couple minutes and started the car back up. No light and no issue since. I keep and Bluetooth OBD-II module connected and checked the fault on my phone. When I looked at the test results from my Torque app all looked good with the exception of the Bank 4 O2 sensor #4. Could a bad O2 sensor cause a DTM? I've noticed a slight stumble in idle on occasion, not enough to register on the tach but enough I could feel it. All related? Is the O2 sensor something I can access and replace myself or should I have the dealer do it?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #90
djawesomelord
Registered
Rep
Drives: 550i M Sport Xdrive

Need some more info on vacuum pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidair View Post
For 550 owners - check the vacuum valve in the trunk ( left side behind the cover ). Mine was stuck due to dirt/dust been sucked in. It will cause the boost pressure to fail or fluctuate.
Greetings, 2011 F10 550xi here, I took out all the covers and I didnt see anything that looked like a pump, only saw radio amp, maybe a bluetooth module . . . please help, pics if possible. My DTM error comes up when I try to accelerate hard, and the check engine light stays on.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #91
clutchlee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi all - been having this issue of the DTM alert popping up at random times since Dec 2015. Since then, any time the car would be over 30MPH and I would let my foot off the gas, I would hear this humming sound coming from the engine. Once it goes under 30MPH, the sound is gone. This sound is there every time I drive the car.

However, I did notice that one time when I floored the car from a red light, the DTM came on right away.

I brought my car to the dealership today to get it annually inspected but also to check the issue. Costing me $180 to just diagnosis the problem. The SA let me know that since my car is out of warranty but has very low miles, they potentially can do a make-good repair if is wrong without costing me an arm and leg.

My car: 2011 535i xDrive (Sport, not M-Sport); 30k miles.

Let me know if anyone else is experiencing this humming issue and I will keep everyone posted on what my SA says.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #92
clutchlee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchlee View Post
Hi all - been having this issue of the DTM alert popping up at random times since Dec 2015. Since then, any time the car would be over 30MPH and I would let my foot off the gas, I would hear this humming sound coming from the engine. Once it goes under 30MPH, the sound is gone. This sound is there every time I drive the car.

However, I did notice that one time when I floored the car from a red light, the DTM came on right away.

I brought my car to the dealership today to get it annually inspected but also to check the issue. Costing me $180 to just diagnosis the problem. The SA let me know that since my car is out of warranty but has very low miles, they potentially can do a make-good repair if is wrong without costing me an arm and leg.

My car: 2011 535i xDrive (Sport, not M-Sport); 30k miles.

Let me know if anyone else is experiencing this humming issue and I will keep everyone posted on what my SA says.
Update - my SA called me and told me that my Wastegate Solenoid needed to be replaced which will cost me roughly $500 since I am out of warranty. Anyone have any idea how I can do this myself or if they have had this problem as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #93
///Msport
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M-Sport

I had this message come up two days ago. Car is bucking. Codes are indicating injector #7 and a few other codes. My SA says he will work on the injector first to see if it resolves all.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #94
B58BULLY
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: sunset orange metallic f30 340

Same boat mine ive i had dtm for about 3 weeks went away for a few days came back mine is either the vanos solenoid which is 703 labor included or the vanos themselves which is 1564 labor include....get a bmw its fun they say
      06-03-2016, 12:25 AM   #95
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

If you're suspecting the vanos, there is a recall on those for the n55. I would check with the dealer if yours is included in the recall.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #96
///Msport
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M-Sport

I had an ignition coil replaced. Running well now but I was told I need 4 injectors.
Will replace all plugs as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #97
FiveFiftyEye
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M Sport

Had the injectors replaced at 32k miles on my 2011 550i as part of the CCP. Got the DTM warning at 40k miles, took it in and SA informed me that the injectors failed and will be replaced under the 2 yr repairs warranty…. Phew! Praying they don't fail again later… getting extended warranty fo sho.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #98
bmw22011
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 550 XDRIVE 20111

Hey guys so I'm having a lot of issues with my 2011 BMW 550i X-Drive, I purchased it back in October 2014, the day I purchased it they offered me a warranty of 12,000 miles and the deductible to fix anything would be $50 but the next day they call me and tell me they have to redo the contract because they found out that my car cannot get any warranty because it wasn't a CPO car but I was just too happy to get that car I am a 19-year-old guy and I got it when I was 18 so they redid the contract and everything was good the car had 62,000 miles on it and that 64,000 miles I took it in for service because every time I would back up or drive forward and turn the wheel all the way to the left or right it would make a loud screeching noise it turns out that the front brake pads were worn out so my car had a 60 day warranty and they fixed it for free so after another 4000 miles my car was at 68,790 miles this is when I research recalls on the car because I knew that the car wasn't driving correctly it turns out that it did fall under the customer care package so they checked timing chain and all of the components that Were affected. They replace the vacuum pump, connecting lines, vent pipes, hot film air mass sensor, the gaskets, & the clamp. That same day the text notice my left front axle shaft boot torn and leaking so I replaced it with no problem because I knew that something must've happened when I hit a pothole a couple days before so besides that I have got my car serviced 3 times. The day after they fix the axle right when I pulled it off the lot as I would accelerate it would make a loud clicking noise so I drove it immediately back to the dealer and it turns out that they didn't install it correctly the service record Says**noticed there is a pot type noise that seems to be coming from the left front and when accelerating from a complete stop, it was misaligned spur gears. they removed axle nut and found's spur**gears lined tooth on tooth. they**corrected teeth alignment and torque axle bolt. test drove vehicle for 4 Miles and no noise returned. I also forgot to mention that at every 1000 miles I would have to tough off my car 1 to 2 quarts of oil since I bought it. After the the vacuum pump in all of the parts that need to be fixed my car was good for 7000 miles so at 75,000 miles I found out that my coolant system was leaking the pressure tested the coolant system and found coolant leaking from Turbo cooler lines they removed air intake housing remove exhaust heat shields remove both turbochargers replaced cooling lines installed the new clamps reinstalled all parts in reverse order topped off and blood cord system pressure tested once more no leaks present so that was also fixed. Then at 89,000 miles I noticed noises coming from the front end of the car I paid them to diagnose the car and it turns out that I needed new hydro bearings in the front. They wanted $700 dollars to fix them but I ordered the parts on eBay I fixed it for $100. Don't forget I'm still adding 1 to 2 quarts of oil every few thousand miles even after all of the service. So at 99,000 miles which was on Saturday I was driving to the beach and before I drove to the beach I stopped by BMW to pick up a quart of oil as I was accelerating to pass a vehicle to drive to malfunction light came on in my car shook violently I pulled over to the side near the exit to check on my engine I let it rest for 10 minutes restarted and it's still kept shaking I had a got these messages five times before this but every time I turn my car off it would go away this time it didn't so I decided to drive the car off the exit and I was driving the brakes stopped working it got very hard to push and I got scared so I just let it roll and they literally ran a stop sign because I couldn't stop it so I found a parking and I got my car towed to the BMW dealership on Monday they called me up asking me if I wanted to proceed to fix it it was going to cost $2200 to fix the vacuum pump it turned out that that's the part that failed. On Monday so I told him that vacuum pump was replaced twice before. I have the Carfax of my car and before I bought it I see that they replaced the vacuum pump they also replace the fuel**temperature sensor, electrical fuel pump in tank, fuel injectors, &**exhaust turbocharger was leaking which they fixed. I will attach all Carfax records and service history that my car has gotten. If you ask me it seems like the person who had this car before me give it back to BMW because it was having a lot of issues I see on the Carfax before they sold it to me, that the fuel injectors were replaced, along with the intercooler being checked, feel pressure being checked ,spark plugs replaced. Basically the situation I'm in right now is that BMW call me back on Tuesday saying that the cream case failed and that might have caused the vacuum pump to fail , I have JB4 tune on the car and they were trying to Tommy that that might affect them covering the car without me paying anything but that is wrong because all these problems have been happening since the car was purchased so I feel like they're trying to blame it on the tune but the service advisor and manager are telling me that they're trying to fast to get this situated they had wanted to thousand dollars to disassemble the engine and take apart the camshaft I told him to hold off on that because I wasn't sure what to do the service advisor advised me to contact BMW North America so I told them the whole situation and they told me they'll get back to me two days is now the second day so I am waiting for a response from BMW and BMW of North America I don't know what they are going to do but they told me that they had to send out a BMW technician to the dealership to check out my car so they literally sent somebody special to check my car out which is today now I'm afraid that they're going to try to deny fixing the car for free and also make me pay for disassembly and reassembly . I have not gave them permission to do anything so if they take it apart I’m not paying. But I really need some help regard I am thinking about talking to a lemon lawyer can fix car today but what do you guys think even if they do fix it today should I still claim it as a lemon car or try one more time? It sucks that on Monday they told me that they were going to fix it for free and that he did fall under the customer care package then the next 80 tell me all you know what your camshaft isn't turning because it looks like it was starved for oil when that is not true like I said that same day I purchased a quart of oil from BMW to top off my car I even have the receipt and I also have records of purchasing 12 quarts of oil per box three times before just to keep up with topping it off. So they're trying to tell me that it was starved for Oreo but that is not true at all I feel like they're trying to find anyway to get me to pay for all the repairs I know the tune plays a major role in the car but that doesn't justify the fact that the vacuum pump has failed to repeated times before and now the crankcase is having issues. What should I do has anybody had any issues like this where BMW bought back the car or gave you any sort of reimbursement? Sorry if I may have missed type some things but I did it all through text to speech because this is a very long.**all help will be appreciated
Attached Images

Last edited by bmw22011; 06-09-2016 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #99
bmw22011
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 550 XDRIVE 20111

Vacuum Pump FAILED 3 TIMES HELP!

2011 BMW 550I XDRIVE
Vacuum pump replaced at 41,00 miles
Vacuum pump replaced at 68,00 miles
Vacuum pump failed again at 99,000 miles
car has 2 year warranty on vacuum pump. so far i have 11 months left. dealer said they would replace again, then they call me and tell me the crankcase was starved for oil and that made the vacuum pump fail. i had just topped off with oil the same day, bmw even remembers me going to purchase a quart before going to the beach. there trying to see if my jb4 tune messed it up. Thats BS these issues happened before i put that on. they called a BMW Tech from LA to come and check it out today. they are going to decide if they should cover it or not. to dissassemble the crankcase cost 2,00 with 12 hours of work. i have not gave them permission yet but the tech is coming today. if they try to deny based on tune what do i do? the fuel injectors and a bunch of sensors have also failed before. look at the previous post before this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #100
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

I have a base model 2011 535i with the 6MT, and about 59,000 miles on the odometer. Yesterday, I accelerated briskly through a merge/transition and promptly got a yellow check engine light, the little yellow triangle, and a drive train malfunction warning on the main screen. The car was running like crap. I pulled over and turned the car off, hoping it would reset itself, but no joy. I drove a couple miles to pick up my kids from daycare, the car didn't want to go above about 40mph in 3rd or 4th gear. A longer stop at daycare also didn't fix the problem, so limped the car home (about 5 miles). Later that evening when it had sat for a while and cooled off, I tried again, still running rough and all the warnings. This afternoon, I took it to the AutoZone that is a couple miles from my house. On start up, I still had all the warnings and it was idling rough. But it smoothed out, and although the check engine light was still on, the DTM went away.

AutoZone pulled code P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire. I guess I will have to swap some plugs and/or coilpacks.

EDIT: Will the check engine light clear after a number of start/stop cycles, or miles driven without misfires on cylinder 2, or do I need to have the code cleared?

EDIT 2: In answer to my own question, yes the check engine light will clear itself. I drove the car to work today, making a couple stops along the way to drop the kids off at daycare. By the time I got to work the CEL was gone.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i

Last edited by mko9; 07-22-2016 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #101
kchan9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i

Fml, got the DTM warning today. I have an ar design catless dp along with jb4 stage two module. I was driving it and I wasn't able to accelerate then the warning came on. I turned the car off, let it sit for 10 mins and it's gone. Does anyone have this issue with running the same mod set up?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #102
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

This blows I have 2013 550i NO issues yet with 21k miles
However I am under warranty until 2017 should I purchase extra warranty when it expires in 2017.
Sounds like I could be screwed if something goes wrong and no warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #103
kchan9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i

Dealership got back to me and advised my battery wasn't holding a charge. I've been having the "battery have been discharged" warning whenever I start the car lately (barely driving it and after letting it sit for a few months). They're taking good will and replacing it under warranty and advised I need to drive it more or the car needs to be charged on a frequent basis. Thank goodness and I hope the "drive chain malfunction" light never comes up again.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #104
mpbmw94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
This blows I have 2013 550i NO issues yet with 21k miles
However I am under warranty until 2017 should I purchase extra warranty when it expires in 2017.
Sounds like I could be screwed if something goes wrong and no warranty

Definitely buy the extended warranty..
You won't regret it.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #105
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan9 View Post
Dealership got back to me and advised my battery wasn't holding a charge. I've been having the "battery have been discharged" warning whenever I start the car lately (barely driving it and after letting it sit for a few months). They're taking good will and replacing it under warranty and advised I need to drive it more or the car needs to be charged on a frequent basis. Thank goodness and I hope the "drive chain malfunction" light never comes up again.
So this confirms DMF error coming up its nothing serious. It happens just when computer senses any glitch it will go in Drivetrain malfunction.
IMO its stupid that means for any little reason you could be stranded on side of the road.
Sounds like BMW need fix this issue in software.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #106
mpbmw94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550

Took my car in for Drivetrain Malfunction on Wednesday, they replaced all 8 injectors aswell as all spark plugs. Pucked up today, drove it 60 miles ended up taking it back to dealer just now for same issue. Both times the message came out, is when i put the car in sport mode and gunned it, so frustrating!!

Last edited by mpbmw94; 08-07-2016 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #107
JP810
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i GC /1999 528

After all of mine Drivetrain malfunction I got a lawyer and he told me I had a case for lemon law for my 2011 550i. He told me I can get my down payment, all of my monthly payments back and this years registration renewal.
      09-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #108
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Had this happen on way home yesterday, rough idle and no power. Malfunction pops up almost immediately on start up. UGGG
Misfire Cylinder #2... Rheingold returned "Measurement Invalid" on Cyl #2 and #8. Heading to dealer on Monday
Just over a month with the car, luckily aftermarket warranty kicks in at a month... Knew it was possible, but THIS SUCKS so soon after getting car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP810 View Post
After all of mine Drivetrain malfunction I got a lawyer and he told me I had a case for lemon law for my 2011 550i. He told me I can get my down payment, all of my monthly payments back and this years registration renewal.
I thought the lemon law in CA was something like 18k/18month?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 11:27 PM   #109
Sunnyc123abc
Private
Rep
Drives: 550xi

I've been getting the drivetrain malfunction lately everytime I slightly punch it. With gentle driving the car is fine. Code reads cylinder 2 misfire. I'm going to remove and clean all 4 of my vanos solenoids because this problem was fixed before by replacing them from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #110
JP810
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i GC /1999 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Had this happen on way home yesterday, rough idle and no power. Malfunction pops up almost immediately on start up. UGGG
Misfire Cylinder #2... Rheingold returned "Measurement Invalid" on Cyl #2 and #8. Heading to dealer on Monday
Just over a month with the car, luckily aftermarket warranty kicks in at a month... Knew it was possible, but THIS SUCKS so soon after getting car...

I thought the lemon law in CA was something like 18k/18month?
Yes I heard the same thing, Not sure what my lawyer did to get me some money back. He told me he had a lot of cases with 2011 550i. Looking at getting a 440i