2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Purchase Advise - 550xi vs Audi S6

07-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
preeble
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 Vert

Purchase Advise - 550xi vs Audi S6

I will be getting one of these two cars; I really want to get the 550 and I'm looking for some nudges to get me over the line - overall, here is where I am:

The 550xi will have Cold Weather, Dynamic, M Sport, Executive, Sport Trans and B&O sound. The S6 (comes standard with a bunch) as I have optioned it would come with cold weather, 20" wheels and LED headlight package. After working with my dealers, my purchase price would be within $1000 of each other.

I have driven the 550 and loved the way it drove. I haven't driven the S6 as they are not out yet, but I drove the A6 3.0 and was impressive (I thought that the engine was more responsive than the 535). I suspect that the S6 engine will pull as good, if not better than the BMW's engine.

In any case, here is where I am. Pros for the Audi (vs the BMW)
- 20" OEM wheels with summer tires (not run flats). The BMW only comes with 19s and has all season run flats (bad!)
- LED headlights - cool factor that is not in the F10s yet
- Likely a more powerful engine (albeit by a little bit)
- More rear seat space

Pros for the BMW:
- The car with M-Sport package is sharp looking, esp. vs the Audi with fairly conservative looks (IMHO), even in S trim (although I like the Audi's brake calipers better as they are decorated with the S logo)
- I prefer the interior design of the BMW - I think that the pop-out NAV screen on the Audi is cheesy
- My BMW build includes the B&O system, but the Audi's does not - the Audi's system is a $5900 option! I would be stuck with the Bose in the Audi
- The BMW has a couple of more tech features on the inside (HUD, etc.) that I am not getting in the Audi as those options make the car much more expensive

For me, most other items balance out. I would certainly be pushed over the edge if it turns out that the more powerful engine is in the 2013 550s, but I'm not holding my breath... Are the run flat all season tires that bad? I strongly prefer summer tires with separate winter wheel/tires, even for my SUV. This may be a problem with the BMW.

Any other things I should be considering?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi, M2C

Did you include 4 yr free maintainence. I'll go with 550.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

For us BMW fans, this is no longer an easy decsion. Audi is making a very good product.

The one thing that you haven't been able to compare is the ride and handling, and that's where - at least on the handling side - I think you'll find that the S6 is superior. As we all know, the BMW ride has moved more toward the luxury side of the equation. The Audis (especially in S guise) have moved to the sport side.

I beleive the S6 has the same sport differential as the S4 (you should verify that). I've driven the S4 extensively and it is an extraordinary car. The sport differential sends more torque to the outside wheel on corners making the S4 handle more like my Porsche than my BMW.

I too love the techno-goodies on the BMW (especially HUD), so I think your decision may come down to a better optioned car vs a better handling car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ +1

Its really between Luxury ride (550) vs Sportier ride (S6)

The power difference isn't significant at all between the two cars plus Dinan already has various stage tunes for the 550 bringing it over 500hp with warranty coverage. Plus you can also easily swap out the springs in the 550 shifting the luxury/sport scale more on the sport side to have best of both worlds.

In terms of looks it comes down to preference. The Msport Bmw looks aggressive all around while the S6 looks equally as nice but more prettier and less aggressive.

The biggest deal breaker for me in the A6 was the interior. That flip out nav screen reminded me of my aftermarket radio days which is very old school....
The Bmw is by far superior in this category imo.

Alan
      07-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The S6 should handle better than the 550 with the sport differential, but even with the run flats, the 550 should have a better ride. That new Audi V8 twin turbo is a beast, Car and Driver has it 0-60 in 3.7 seconds, that will be tough for the 550 to beat. The S6 have better tech in my opinion, better navi, better voice command, Google earth, hifi hot spot, hand writing recognition and Google map. The 550 does feel more solid and substantial, I haven’t sat in the S6 yet, but the BMW seats are hard to beat. The Bose system in the S6 is mediocre at best, I haven’t heard the BMW’s new B&O system yet, but even the premium sound system in the US 535i sounds better than the Audi's Bose.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Do compare the build quality too. I have many state that BMW's feel more solidly built.
For me the deal breaker is the interior. The seats in audi A6 are horrendous compared to the BMW 5 series.I prefer how the center console wraps around flows into the dash in the BMW.

Personally as all have mentioned Sportier Luxury vs powerful luxury.

Keep us posted about your decision though and your initial review of the product you buy.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
RH512
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i xDrive, C4S cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeble View Post

Are the run flat all season tires that bad? I strongly prefer summer tires with separate winter wheel/tires, even for my SUV. This may be a problem with the BMW.
Just figure in another set of wheels with performance summer and winter conventional tires. They are so much better than the OEM ROF all season. Well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
Do compare the build quality too. I have many state that BMW's feel more solidly built.
For me the deal breaker is the interior. The seats in audi A6 are horrendous compared to the BMW 5 series.I prefer how the center console wraps around flows into the dash in the BMW.
Yes, but on S6 the seats,leather and interior are vastly improved. If I need AWD, I get the S6. But I can imagine it's gonna be much more expensive than the 550xi
Attached Images

07-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Even though BMW has eliminated the adjustable side bolsters for the US, the 550's comfort seats are amazing. However, the S4's sport seat is a close second. I imagine that they are the same on the S6. And the S6's quilted seat design really dresses up the interior, but that is a personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
jftoha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport /2011 535is

I am afraid that between these two cars, the S6 is better at least on paper. Historically the S6 was compared to the M5 but with the RS models becoming more available the S6 now sits in a middle bracket with a lower price that makes it attractive to people looking at something like the 550 or E550.

From the reviews I have read, it is impressive. The styling of the outside does not convince me though. It does not look special enough and blends in too much with the S4/A4. There interior is a thing of beauty though. An the quality is on par if not better than BMW. I am a BMW guy though, and I would probably still get the 550 and make the modifications necessary to make the handling a bit more sporting.

My 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preeble View Post
I will be getting one of these two cars; I really want to get the 550 and I'm looking for some nudges to get me over the line - overall, here is where I am:

The 550xi will have Cold Weather, Dynamic, M Sport, Executive, Sport Trans and B&O sound. The S6 (comes standard with a bunch) as I have optioned it would come with cold weather, 20" wheels and LED headlight package. After working with my dealers, my purchase price would be within $1000 of each other.

I have driven the 550 and loved the way it drove. I haven't driven the S6 as they are not out yet, but I drove the A6 3.0 and was impressive (I thought that the engine was more responsive than the 535). I suspect that the S6 engine will pull as good, if not better than the BMW's engine.

In any case, here is where I am. Pros for the Audi (vs the BMW)
- 20" OEM wheels with summer tires (not run flats). The BMW only comes with 19s and has all season run flats (bad!)
- LED headlights - cool factor that is not in the F10s yet
- Likely a more powerful engine (albeit by a little bit)
- More rear seat space

Pros for the BMW:
- The car with M-Sport package is sharp looking, esp. vs the Audi with fairly conservative looks (IMHO), even in S trim (although I like the Audi's brake calipers better as they are decorated with the S logo)
- I prefer the interior design of the BMW - I think that the pop-out NAV screen on the Audi is cheesy
- My BMW build includes the B&O system, but the Audi's does not - the Audi's system is a $5900 option! I would be stuck with the Bose in the Audi
- The BMW has a couple of more tech features on the inside (HUD, etc.) that I am not getting in the Audi as those options make the car much more expensive

For me, most other items balance out. I would certainly be pushed over the edge if it turns out that the more powerful engine is in the 2013 550s, but I'm not holding my breath... Are the run flat all season tires that bad? I strongly prefer summer tires with separate winter wheel/tires, even for my SUV. This may be a problem with the BMW.

Any other things I should be considering?

José Tohá ---------------------------------Chilean Architect, Living in Washington, DC.
PRESENT: F10 535I Sport, Alpina 21" wheels, AC Schnitzer springs, M5 Grill.
PAST: E63, E39 (2), E34 (2), E36, E24, E30 (2)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
preeble
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 Vert

Hmmm. I appreciate the viewpoints here. What I didn't say is that I'm coming from a Porsche Cayenne Hybrid and I have a 911 for my 'fun' car. I have owned a few Audis in the past (TT and 2001 S4), but I have never had a BMW.

For me, the look and feel of the Audi has some similarities of what I have today and just by that virtue, I lean toward the BMW as it is different. The Audi seats seem nice, but the only come in black or white. I don't want a black interior as I have had that in my past 6 cars and I'm very hesitant on having a white interior.

In any case, I appreciate the input and thoughts here - my decision will be made by the weekend and I will keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Thrumcap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi Q7

How does Audi get 3.7 sec. 0-60 out of a car that on paper looks to be the same as the 550 xdrive? Is the engine truly that underrated?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

Only Car and Driver has that number of 3.7 seconds. Audi claims 4.8 seconds..
2011 550ix msport
2009 e92 335i msport
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
Radamez
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 XDrive / Imperial Blu

BMW warranty leans me toward the 550.
      07-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
Topdwnz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP DCT Alpine White

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Interesting. I own a 2012 535i M Sport (not X drive) and compared it directly to the Audi A6 Prestige with all the toys including 20" rims and summer performance tires. The 550 vs the S6 is not too far off the same comparison. I also own an Audi Q5 which I had in for service and the dealer loaned me a fully loaded A6 prestige, exactly the way I would have ordered it. After driving the Audi for about 5 days, I could not wait to get back in my BMW 5 series. IMO, the BMW is far more sporty than the Audi, in fact, no comparison. There is a feel you just do not get riding in the Audi vs the BMW. The Bimmer feels so much more substantial. I do think the Audi had a little better performance, but there are other factors besides that based on what you have said. Audi does seem to go a bit more overboard with electronics. In some cases, that may be better depending what you are looking for. At some point, I just want to drive my car, not try and figure out how to work the electronics. Don't get me wrong, I love all the toys, but I was more interested in the drive. They don't call it the "ultimate driving machine" for nothing. Lastly was the seating. Hands down the Bimmer M Sport seats are the best. There is no contest. Audi ranks a "B", but BMW is an "A+" in that category. The most comfortable seat I have ever sat in.

Best of luck. Two great cars. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you buy.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #16
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdwnz View Post
IMO, the BMW is far more sporty than the Audi, in fact, no comparison.

I do think the Audi had a little better performance.
I think you just contradicted yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #17
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
Like both cars, but would rather go with 550xi.
      07-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
Only Car and Driver has that number of 3.7 seconds. Audi claims 4.8 seconds..
There is NO way the S6 does 0-60 in the same time as a Porsche Panamera Turbo/M5.

Car and Driver must be using roll out.

Its prob around the 4.8-5 sec range
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #19
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

C&D must have cashed in a big check from Audi ?

Either that or they sent a "special" S6 to C&D to be tested. Lets see what real world numbers show.

Alan
      07-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #20
Terpinator
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 550i xDrive M Sport

Preeble,

I'm actually going through the exact same decision. I had decided on the 550i xDrive, but then test drove an A7 last week (no S models available yet). I was surprised how much I liked the way the Audi drove. BMW is always known as the sportier of the two brands, but with the new 6/7 platform, Audi has, IMO, changed things up. (Caveat: On a test ride, I didn't get close to the limit, so the whole steering feel at the limit issue reported by so many motojournalists in Audis didn't come up.)

First, you've probably already accounted for this, but the standard wheel size on the S6 will be 19 inch. The 20's are a $1000 option. And LED's are an extra $1400.

As noted, I test drove a 550i with the sport suspension last week when I was in the US, along with an A7 and agree with the above posts. The 550 has a much more isolated ride. Still athletic, but not as direct as the Audi. Also, from the seat-of-the-pants dyno, the A7 with the supercharged 6 felt as fast as the BMW with the V8. Yes, very scientific I know... Part of this is likely that the Audi weighs in about 400 lbs less than the 550. That is a lot of weight, think two full size males in the car at all times. As for the C&D time of 3.7, they always use the roll-out figures, so ad at least .3-.4 seconds to that time for a comparible number. Still very impressive. And we all know that BMW's times are always quoted slower than what the cars can actually do.

The seats in the 550 are hands down more comfortable that in the A7 i drove. I assume the S6 chairs will be the similar. Not that the audi seats aren't nice, but the seats in the 5 are class-leading and compare to those in the A8.

If you already have a 911 in the garage, I'd lean towards the BMW.... I don't, so will be leaning towards the S6 (if Audi can match the diplomatic price and Euro delivery option that BMW has...).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #21
Thrumcap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi Q7

The 3.7 sec 0-60 and the 12.1 sec 1/4 mile were achieved using launch control. Probably the AWD + pre-spooled turbos makes the difference but you would think if the 550i xdrive had launch control, the result would be the same. All the Audi fans are going nuts saying the S6 is now neck and neck with M5 based on this one test and are sure the engine is pushing 500+ HP. I am interested in seeing some other head to head comparisons of the S6 to 550i xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #22
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

The same magazine, car and driver, tested the BMW 550i from 0-60 in 4.8 sec.
Appreciate 0