2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum KH amp smoking, cooling fan not spinning.

12-12-2021, 05:00 PM   #1
Chirho1987
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

KH amp smoking, cooling fan not spinning.

Hey all, I noticed a burnt metallic smell and when I check the backseat, I saw a little whit smoke coming from the trunk. I stopped and opened the trunk where I saw smoke coming from the left panel. I tore into it and got the Harmon kardon amp exposed. Smelled terrible but wasn't smoking anymore. It was very hot. I noticed that there is a computer case like cooling fan near the amp. It was not spinning at all. Has anyone else had this problem?

My assumption is the fan stopped working and the amp got too hot. Is this a fan I can replace with any old cooling fan or is it a specific part? Also since the amp was burning, should i invest in a new one? It works fine now as long as I don't blast the music.

Honestly I am surprised that the amp doesn't have a safety mechanism where it shuts off if it gets too hot!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

The fan part number is 65156983075. There is a temperature sensor on the fan so I would recommend getting the proper fan for your car.

Edit: do a volt test to make sure you are getting power to the fan. Amp suppose to shut off due to thermal. It sounded like your amp may be faulty and did not shut off.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Your AMP may have up to +120 degrees Celsius junction temperatures and it's mounted on FR4 material, using solder that requires 600C to melt, in an aluminum chassis.

The fan only supports forced convection over the exterior of the AMP's heat fins, which radiates heat like a toaster element. The fan is used only to keep air from being stagnant and causing the air from getting too hot to melt your trunk lining.

Your AMP is fine, though your trunk lining may have suffered a bit of heat stroke.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2022, 03:50 PM   #4
adnanrocks
Rep
Drives: F10 528i LCI

Hey, quick question, where does the cooling fan connector plug into? I'm planning a retrofit to the H/K system but I can't for the life of me figure out where the fan connects to? I know it will eventually go to fuse 120/121 but the wire length is too short to reach the fuse box. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 10:31 PM   #5
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Fan, Infotainment
Installation of the Infotainment fan depends on the vehicle equipment level.

The Infotainment fan is located in the luggage compartment adjacent to the audio amplifier.

The Infotainment fan's purpose is to cool the audio amplifier when ambient temperatures rise to excessively high levels.

Functional description
The points at which the Infotainment fan is activated and switched off vary based on ambient temperature, which is relayed by a temperature sensor at the wiring connection.

The Infotainment fan deactivates at an ambient temperature between 40 and 45 °C.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1