2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Does hatch "open" or just "unlock" with remote?

02-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
kwilkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S e

Does hatch "open" or just "unlock" with remote?

While test driving a 550i GT I tried to open the hatch with the remote key FOB, and the hatch unlocked but did not automatically open/raise like it does with X6 or 550i sedan. The dealer told me that's just the way it works, that seems strange to me.

Can anyone confirm how the hatch behaves when using the remote?

Ken
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT

The trunk button on the key fob unlocks but does not open the small hatch. The diamond button unlocks and opens the large hatch. It's possible that without the Convenience Package, the large hatch does not open automatically, but I would be surprised since it is kind of heavy.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
kwilkins
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs View Post
The trunk button on the key fob unlocks but does not open the small hatch. The diamond button unlocks and opens the large hatch. It's possible that without the Convenience Package, the large hatch does not open automatically, but I would be surprised since it is kind of heavy.
Excellent, and that's great to know. I just wanted to be sure I could open the hatch with the remote.

Thanks for the info, and how do you like your GT? What's great, and what's not so great?

Ken
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
Excellent, and that's great to know. I just wanted to be sure I could open the hatch with the remote.

Thanks for the info, and how do you like your GT? What's great, and what's not so great?

Ken
As stated by JDubbs if you have the convenience package you can press the diamond button to open remotely - press and hold for approx 1 or 2 seconds and it will open automatically - hold too long and you will activate the alarm.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT

At this point I've only had my GT for a week, with not a lot of time to drive it, so my opinion is still forming. Initial impressions are that it is by far the most luxurious car I've ever owned, coming from a 2008 650i convertible and owning a 2006 M5 and a MB E320 before that. The interior is remarkably spacious, esp. for the rear seat passengers, and I appreciate how many of the finer points of the 7 Series trickled down to the GT (granted, I sprung for some pricey options, like Nappa leather, ventilated seats, etc.). My most immediate frame of reference is the 6 convertible, and by comparison this obviously feels big and floaty, taking most of the edge off of driving... but in my case that's a good thing, as the streets of San Francisco are pretty shoddy and dotted with stop signs, and after a while you start to realize how ill-suited a car like the 6 is to an urban environment. Turning radius is much improved versus the 6 thanks to this new generation of active steering which turns the rear wheels as well as the front.

Some of the new features take some getting used to. The new iDrive is very nice, beautifully designed, but certain aspects seem cumbersome... e.g., selecting an album from my iPod takes 2-3 more steps than the last generation iDrive, and some of the menus in the entertainment screens have so many options that they become hard to navigate while driving. The camera package is a must, given how poor the rear window visibility is, but I've yet to train my eyes where to go when reversing, as I now have three mirrors and the iDrive screen to choose from. HUD is largely unchanged from the previous gen, but there seem to be additional colors being used to differentiate elements, which is nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
While test driving a 550i GT I tried to open the hatch with the remote key FOB, and the hatch unlocked but did not automatically open/raise like it does with X6 or 550i sedan. The dealer told me that's just the way it works, that seems strange to me.

Can anyone confirm how the hatch behaves when using the remote?

Ken
One of the most frustrating things is that many of the sales associates have no product knowledge what so ever. For a potential buyer to present to a dealer and have to deal with someone who is NOT at all knowlegeable about the product they are selling is unacceptable. However, if I encounter a sales associate who prefaces the fact that he/she may be new and/or has not had an opportunity to acclimate himself with a newly released product I am okay with that.

The associate you dealt with needs to be counseled for the answer he gave you.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
kwilkins
Private
Rep

Car Fan,

I see that you have the "Ceramic Ctrl." option, now do you like it? The aesthetics from pictures make them look very nice, but one review I read said they were slippery and not as easy to operate as the non-ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Car Fan,

I see that you have the "Ceramic Ctrl." option, now do you like it? The aesthetics from pictures make them look very nice, but one review I read said they were slippery and not as easy to operate as the non-ceramic.
I love the ceramic controls. If you are familiar with RADO watches the finish is very similar to that. Grasping these controls aren't an issue as there is a shallow rubber nib that goes around the perimeter of the knobs. It really imparts an upscale contrast to the interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs View Post
At this point I've only had my GT for a week, with not a lot of time to drive it, so my opinion is still forming. Initial impressions are that it is by far the most luxurious car I've ever owned, coming from a 2008 650i convertible and owning a 2006 M5 and a MB E320 before that. The interior is remarkably spacious, esp. for the rear seat passengers, and I appreciate how many of the finer points of the 7 Series trickled down to the GT (granted, I sprung for some pricey options, like Nappa leather, ventilated seats, etc.). My most immediate frame of reference is the 6 convertible, and by comparison this obviously feels big and floaty, taking most of the edge off of driving... but in my case that's a good thing, as the streets of San Francisco are pretty shoddy and dotted with stop signs, and after a while you start to realize how ill-suited a car like the 6 is to an urban environment. Turning radius is much improved versus the 6 thanks to this new generation of active steering which turns the rear wheels as well as the front.

Some of the new features take some getting used to. The new iDrive is very nice, beautifully designed, but certain aspects seem cumbersome... e.g., selecting an album from my iPod takes 2-3 more steps than the last generation iDrive, and some of the menus in the entertainment screens have so many options that they become hard to navigate while driving. The camera package is a must, given how poor the rear window visibility is, but I've yet to train my eyes where to go when reversing, as I now have three mirrors and the iDrive screen to choose from. HUD is largely unchanged from the previous gen, but there seem to be additional colors being used to differentiate elements, which is nice.
JDubbs I guess you have to take Geary or Fulton to go from one end of the city to the other to avoid those stop signs Definitely not California Street or Clement
Appreciate 0