2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Steering

09-02-2011, 02:32 AM   #23
kn1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 - 530d GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Bake View Post
Turanza ER300 RFT's
225/55R17

I've never heard of Turanza before. No complaints here though.
They are Bridgestone tyres, Turanza and ER300 are just the name of the tread pattern.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #24
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

I don't think steering is all that bad. It's certainly lighter than it was in my E91 but I always thought it was under assisted. F10 does wander on 17s in crosswinds but not dangerously.

My big Eureka moment was checking tyre pressures. Dealer had delivered the car with tyres blown up to full load - deflate them to normal load settings and handing improved *massively*
      02-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #25
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

[QUOTE=Jon D;9879821]In March of this year BMW changed the entire steering rack/motor/control assembly and the part number is the same as that fitted to the F12 640i.
I've driven the new 6 series over a period of several days, totalling about 600 miles over all types of road surfaces and conditions. The steering is far more responsive, but that could be due to different programming, wheel size (20") and tyres. However, the vague on-centre lack of feedback is still present, albeit to a far lesser degree.QUOTE]

JonD - are you absolutely certain about this?

I have been having a 12 month battle with BMW to get them to do something about the vibration I experience at motorway speeds, but they refuse to acknoweldge a probelm exists and "do not plan any product enhancements"....

If the entire teering system was changed in March 11, that's a pretty major acceptance the original design was flawed.

I have a June 2011 build 520D.
      03-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #26
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artc View Post
...I have been having a 12 month battle with BMW to get them to do something about the vibration I experience at motorway speeds, but they refuse to acknoweldge a probelm exists and "do not plan any product enhancements"...
It's highly unlikely that any vibration you're feeling will be related to the rack. Vibrations are generally caused by an imbalance in a rotating mass, i.e., a tyre/wheel, bearing or drivetrain component.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #27
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artc View Post
...If the entire teering system was changed in March 11, that's a pretty major acceptance the original design was flawed.

I have a June 2011 build 520D.
Not necessarily, product improvement evolves and component commonality across a range of models simplifies assembly line flow and parts replacement.
Your June '11 car will have the new rack.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #28
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Not necessarily, product improvement evolves and component commonality across a range of models simplifies assembly line flow and parts replacement.
Your June '11 car will have the new rack.
JonD - sorry I made a typo error - my car is June 2010 build.

Unofficial explanation so far has been that slight steering inputs at motorway speeds cause the steering system to re-energise and that this is causing pulsing through the steering wheel that is also felt through floorpan of the car.

Official response is that car is performing within design standards.
      05-31-2012, 01:37 AM   #29
Decor
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520D SE Auto

Any information on this issue that I can bring to dealer, I didnt hear about issues until I had a 520d in the driveway. Dealer has changed the alignment twice already and looking to me to come up with a solution as they dont see that there is a problem at all. we all know when our car is not right....
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #30
Decor
Registered
Rep

Bridgestone tyres, Turanza and ER300
As above, these are the tyres I'm running on and steering is wandering and difficult to centre. If camber of road if left, I'm steering 5degrees right to keep going straight. very tiring on motorway journeys..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #31
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decor View Post
Any information on this issue that I can bring to dealer, I didnt hear about issues until I had a 520d in the driveway. Dealer has changed the alignment twice already and looking to me to come up with a solution as they dont see that there is a problem at all. we all know when our car is not right....
For me the wandering and vagueness at motorway speeds was fixed with a 4 wheel laser alignment (referred to as KDS by the dealer).
However, in 80,000km my car has had this done 6 times!
My front tyres were also very badly worn on the outside third and hardly worn at all on the inside.
Over time the vagueness seems to creep back in, requiring another alignment to be done.
      05-31-2012, 06:12 AM   #32
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'm getting my 2 week old 530d looked at next week as it drifts to the left on motoroways. First thing I di was check pressures , which were a little low. (Surely e PDI should have these bang on?)
Aware camber can affect this but I didn't really feel this happening on my previosu E39.
It not dangerous but something that I'm aware of and if it something yo are aware of , it can niggle you. I guess those of us on these of our forums are arguably more particualr our cars than most.

In general I've quickyl got used to the steering, its nowwhere as 'raw' as it was on my E39 and I do miss that. With the E39 , you cold really feel what the tyres were doing and to graba phrase I heard on Top gear, you could tell if the paint markings on the road were Dulux or Crown paint!
You get my drift (no pun intended!)

The F10 steering is numb by comparison, and I don't feel anywhere as involved. I do think the F10 is a different car though, mofe luxery than sporting perhaps. it still a pleasant place to be but the ultimate driving machine, well I think its lost something.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #33
Decor
Registered
Rep

Cheers guys, can you advise (as you seem more technically minded than I).
As car follows camber on motorway I hold steering about 4 degrees to right steering against the pull to keep going straight. Surely this will affect the wear of my tyres both uneven and excessive. What do you think??

Last edited by Decor; 06-01-2012 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #34
AP
Major General
Rep

i'd have to agree
I'm not technical as regards wheels, tyres, suspensions etc but that sounds right to me.
My car has just been put through a KDS check. Rear right toe in was aout by a third of a degree , everything else withing tolerences but despite this, it still feels like it want to drift left.
I know camber affects it and I'm assuming the combination of wide tyres that are run falt and EPS amplifies the situation.
Whilst it was being checked, I had a X1 loan car for the day. I know a completly different beast, but this track straight.
Runflat tyreson this but good old hydraulic steering on this model.

Drift is really only noticied at faster speeds.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #35
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
i'd have to agree
I'm not technical as regards wheels, tires, suspensions etc but that sounds right to me.
My car has just been put through a KDS check. Rear right toe in was out by a third of a degree , everything else withing tolerances but despite this, it still feels like it want to drift left.
I know camber affects it and I'm assuming the combination of wide tires that are run flat and EPS amplifies the situation.
Whilst it was being checked, I had a X1 loan car for the day. I know a completely different beast, but this track straight.
Runflat tires on this but good old hydraulic steering on this model.

Drift is really only noticed at faster speeds.
This is all a bit of a worry. With my E60 you can lift both hands off the wheel and it just keeps going in the direction you left it. I do remember that when I first got the car, it always pulled to the left. However, at the first service they corrected that and it hasn't given a kick in almost 5 years. I have no idea what they did.
      08-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #36
AP
Major General
Rep

I'm sorting of getting used to it now.
I never feel it pulling the car whilst I have one or two hands on teh steering wheel but if you let go, it can drift.
I think at the end of teh day its just VERY sensitive to camber .it does occasionaly pull right when the camber is obviously is that way.
Perhaps the car is set up to be unstable in the a bit like the way that some planes are stable and some are unstable. the small plane I fly is stable so if its trimmed , and you let go of the controls , it will stay as it is and any slight change results in te plane reverting back to its previosu path. So no surprises.
However i think fighter planes are unstable to given them 'the edge'
perhaps its the same for the car to give the car its sportiness?
I could be talking a complete load of BS though! just a guess. Someon on these forums who knows what suspensions part do and why can probably explian better.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #37
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

I have not noticed any steering issues at all. I have the car four months now. Good luck to those with issues. I hope you get them sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #38
MPH
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530D SE 2013 Imperial Blue

When I test drove a 520d about a year ago i decided not to buy the F10 because of the constant small corrections required when motorway driving - it was terrible. Checking with a couple of my colleagues who had F10s, they confirmed that their cars had this issue although it didn't seem to worry them so much. On A and B roads the drive was great.

A year later I decided to give the F10 another chance and test drove a 525d M Sport and a 530d M Sport both with 19" tyres and this problem had gone away. Didn't want the M Sport so went for the 530d SE with Adaptive Drive and 18" tyres (all the reports indicate that the 520 is set up around 18" tyres) to make sure I got the best possible handling.

Although I might have gone for the Adaptive Drive anyway, it is disappointing that I thought I had to spend an extra £3k just to ensure I got a BMW that drove like a BMW.

I'll tell you if I go it right in about 4 weeks
      11-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #39
Royalecosse
Rep
Drives: e90 325i red

Std 520d 2013 model. Jumped from a 325i E90 to this car. The F10 is certainly heavier but corners flat and handles well. My beef (hence on this site) is the steering. My E90 was a relaxing drive but steering on the motorway of the F10 needs constant corrections and drives me nuts! On B road, town etc the steering is great (much heavier than my previous car but this seems to be accepted as a good thing). Just wish the car was more relaxing on motorways - will play with tyre pressures and see if that makes any difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #40
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalecosse View Post
Std 520d 2013 model.

...but steering on the motorway of the F10 needs constant corrections and drives me nuts! On B road, town etc the steering is great (much heavier than my previous car but this seems to be accepted as a good thing). Just wish the car was more relaxing on motorways - will play with tyre pressures and see if that makes any difference.
Certainly check the tyre pressures.

I don't think the need for constant corrections is the norm on these cars. I have driven a few, all included motorway driving and none had any need for correction.

My car (F11) is at 8k miles, runs on 18" wheels and it drives with perfect precision. Not influenced by road ruts or cambers on the motorway.

BTW, what wheel size and tyre brand?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #41
billythetidd
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport

I'm the same as Pete. I drive a 520d M-Sport. Straight as an arrow, even at speed. Running the 19's, some country road cambers effect but nothing like what I have been reading about here.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #42
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

I have a 520d M Sport with the 19 inch staggered wheels with Michelin run flats and the car steers as straight as an arrow. At city speeds the steering is light as you get to motorway speeds the steering weights up and gains more feel. I only have the standard m sport suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #43
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

My March build F10 2011 had this steering problem. I sold it and got a F11 Jan 2011. No steering problems. Thoughts welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #44
janke
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 520iA Black

Hi, this is my first post!

I´m eagerly awaiting the delivery of a new 520iA by the end of January. I still drive my second E39 and have started to become a bit worried about whether the F10 will give me a better driving experience or not.

The new car has standard looks with 17" RFT´s for both summer and winter. Inside it´s Nappa leather, DDC and 6WB MFID ++. The drive, in terms of comfort, ease and pleasure, is important to me.

So, in the light of all the reports on bad steering, pulling to the right and vibrations exceeding 65 mph (104kmh), I´m anxious I might get a Monday car giving me trouble instead of pleasure - especially when steering is expected to be corrected and refined on the 2014 LCI facelift. I didn´t expect to feel like rolling a dice when I ordered the car.

Maybe it´s nothing, and that the long term steering problems on the F10 are gone by now. I need a bit of luck because I´m buying the car directly from the UK BMW Group, and will not have a local dealer to assist me.

janke

Last edited by janke; 11-25-2012 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Shortening
Appreciate 0