2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo to live on into a second-generation

01-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo to live on into a second-generation

Quote:
The 5-Series Gran Turismo has been called BMW's Aztek but it appears the model isn't going anywhere. According to Auto Motor und Sport, the 5-Series GT has been popular enough to justify a second-generation model. This is a tad surprising but the magazine says the car is enjoying decent sales in China and the United States.

The latter statement is interesting as former BMW North America CEO Jim O'Donnell has said the decision to replace the 5-Series Touring with the 5-Series GT was a mistake because it sent wagon buyers into the open arms of Mercedes. If the report pans out, the second-generation Gran Turismo will be based on the 2016 / 2017 5-Series which is slated to ride on the 35up platform that uses a combination of aluminum, carbon fiber and high-strength steel.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11501228...ond-generation
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:51 AM   #2
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Anyone who says the GT looks like the Aztek instantly disqualifies themselves from having the skills and mental acuity to judge car design.
      02-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

Agreed...and not just because I own one. Seems BMW disagree (and by extension the market) as we now have the 3-Series GT and the X4 which both are small replicas of the 5GT. From the first time I saw a silver GT 550, I was awestruck...it's not amazing from every single angle imaginable, but the fastback roofline and the styling is sumptuous. Hey, even Audi has copied the GT (very nicely I must admit) with the A7...same design elements - slick fastback concept...classic European styling. Too many are stuck in sedan hypnosis to look beyond the fact that it's different so 'it must be ugly'. As for the Aztec comments...please, what toddle. Having said all this, there's no right or wrong and really everyone's taste will be different...I've been a wagon lover for many years (and bemoan the loss of the 5 series touring in NA), but the GT offers the cargo flexibility I need and amazing comfort. The N54 535 touring feels like a quicker, more nimble machine, no question, but when I look at the 5er now, I can't believe how small it is inside. This is a 7er in stylish 5er clothing...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #4
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Well said. Just to add, the interior of the 5 GT is superior to 5 and far superior to the A7. I think it's one of the best if not THE best rear seat in it's class.

Furthermore, the A7 doesn't have a 4 wheel steering option nor a rear wheel drive model both of which make the drive of the 5 GT more exciting than the A7. And the LCI version of the 5 GT with DHP has very much improved handling in the curves over the original.

I think canceling the 5 touring in NA was a corporate power play by the naysayers in BMW (probably dull minded Americans) who lost the internal debate about doing the GT or not. It's a classic move that put all perceived loss of 5 touring sales on the 5 GT when the reality was that while the 5 touring and 5 GT markets may have overlapped, there was plenty of non-overlap. By canceling the 5 touring in NA, the losers put a millstone on the 5 GT. Allowing both to be sold would have grown market share.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 02-14-2015 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
Variante Alta
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport Metallic Whit

And...my finace told me shortly after I bought the GT that she had no idea I'd be buying such a sexy car! Love it...
Appreciate 0