2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2013 CPO 535i xdrive car fax shows accident, should I be concern

09-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
rjorge3
Rep
Drives: 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid

2013 CPO 535i xdrive car fax shows accident, should I be concern

Hey gang, I've found a very nice and loaded 2013 535i xdrive that fully loaded stickered at $71k when new. They are asking $38,990, with 40k miles, and its a local BMW dealer. However, what I dont understand is that it is being sold as a CPO yet carfax shows the following

"Accident reported
Involving rear impact
with another motor vehicle
Rear area primarily damaged"

Is there anyway to find out what exactly happened? The car was purchased and serviced in the same dealership that is being sold. My friend told me that since it is a BMW dealer, they would not have CPO the car if the damage was severe, is that right?

Have anyone bought a car with a carfax accident in its report?

Thanks gang!
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
snowmuch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Macan Turbo

How much is the repaired damage?
      09-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
rjorge3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmuch View Post
How much is the repaired damage?
Dont know, I just saw and test drove the car today. I've asked the sales guy to find out exactly what was repaired, but I did not ask how much it was (that's a good idea thanks!) I'll ask that tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I would inquire...I mean it is a CPO so it did go through their inspection? I would take a look underneath the rear bumper and see if anything looks out of place or damaged still.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #5
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

When I was looking at a CPO'd 2015 550, I was advised by various sources that BMW will not CPO a car if it does not have original paint on the body. Bumpers is the exception. If this is really true, then the accident involved bumper only.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 01:39 AM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Open the trunk and take a look at the paint around the inner rubber seals. If the body was painted the body shop would most likely mask off at this point if they did a cheap job. Also inspect the paint around the rear of the car under bright sunlight for colour match and quality of finish i.e. look for orange peel

Looking under the car and seeing if you can get to the metal work under the trunk floor for signs of any damage that has been repaired would also be a great idea... but might be difficult to achieve
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
rjorge3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I would inquire...I mean it is a CPO so it did go through their inspection? I would take a look underneath the rear bumper and see if anything looks out of place or damaged still.
That is the thing that is worrying me and at the same time, I am thinking, that a BMW dealer would not CPO a car unless they deem it to be in perfect working order and without any frame/body damage. I did inspect the car well, and found nothing suspicious, but then again, once never knows. I'll take a second look tomorrow.

I would like to see if anyone in these forums have purchased a CPO with a mark in carfax? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjorge3 View Post
That is the thing that is worrying me and at the same time, I am thinking, that a BMW dealer would not CPO a car unless they deem it to be in perfect working order and without any frame/body damage. I did inspect the car well, and found nothing suspicious, but then again, once never knows.
Frame, maybe.
Body damage that has been repaired, I'm not so sure.

In my search, I came across several used BMWs that had incidents reports on their record and all of them were CPO'd. If the damage on the report is minor and there's a record of it being fixed by reputable shop, it's not a big deal. In my view at least, some type of accidents/repairs are not deal breakers.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Frame, maybe.
Body damage that has been repaired, I'm not so sure.

In my search, I came across several used BMWs that had incidents reports on their record and all of them were CPO'd. If the damage on the report is minor and there's a record of it being fixed by reputable shop, it's not a big deal. In my view at least, some type of accidents/repairs are not deal breakers.
+1

You could also ask BMW to put the car on a lift and u could visually inspect the car as u have a right to. And if they don't than I wouldn't even bother moving forward with the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

I tend to agree with other posts about the damage. It is also possible that the car had been CPO'd before the accident if there had been other owners or it was originally a demo. You should be able to check that out with the dealer.

Having said all that, I owned a MY08 535i that I had a major accident in. There was $14,000 damage and the entire drivers side and two bumpers, as well as the left rear rim and left rear suspension had to be replaced. I kept the car for 2.5 years after the accident. It drove as good as it did out of the factory. The replacement paint was flawless and even though I had pics of the damage, I could not see any paint overspray or indications of damage. I was extremely pleased.

Drive the car for a long test drive. Try everything and listen carefully for squeaks and rattles. Sit in the back seat for part of the drive.
You may be lucky like I was and the car is fine.

BTW, a damaged car should sell for a lot less than an undamaged one. Drive a hard bargain.
GL
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #11
rjorge3
Rep

Thanks guys, those are all great ideas (put the car on a lift). I am heading there today to get a second look and request that. In terms of the carfax info, I will use that as a bargaining chip to come down $3k (yes, they will bark), but it would be a good starting point. If they take $36,500 for it, i am jumping all over it as has so many of the features as I was looking for.

Black Nappa leather; Cold Weather Pkg; Driver Assist pack; M Sport Pack; Premium Pkg; Tech pkg; Dynamic Damper Control; Sport shif paddles; Multi Contour seats; Premium hi-fi and Black Kideney Grilles (I did not know that was an $185 option)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #12
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

We bought my wife's 528 and it was a CPO with a record of front bumper damage. In my opinion CPO means very little except for the fact that you can take it back for repair whenever you want. After we got home, we notice a poorly done paint job, front rotors were completely shot, and various things in the car were missing (floor mats, owners manual, tool kit). I guess we didn't inspect the car well enough because we just assumed that CPO from a dealership was trustworthy enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #13
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

The dealers will certify a car that's been in an accident unless there was frame damage. They will even certify a car that had paint work as long as the work was done to BMW standards.

I purchased my CPO back in 2014 and it turned out the dealer repainted the whole car to make it look brand new. I noticed this when looking at the car the 1st time and it was suspect to me because it looked too good. Carfax was clean and all service was up to date, I even had a body shop look at the car prior to buying and they confirmed no accidents.

basically, get a PPI before committing.
Appreciate 0